Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an expanded version of a post I did a few months ago but I've noticed there are new members and new members with cameras now posting pictures and some are just WAY too big.

If you know how to resize pictures for posting then you don't need to read any further.
If you don't know how to resize pictures and would like to learn, please read on.
Resizing involves both physical dimensions (800x600), file size (how much disk space and bandwidth), and color depth (4 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit, etc.).

Here is an excellent article on how bit depth and dimensions affect file size. The calculations shown in this article are for uncompressed images. There is an Excel spreadsheet calculator here if you're interested.
The Arithmetic of Image Sizes

There are several reasons for shrinking the pictures that you want to post for others to enjoy.

1. It requires less bandwidth.
2. Smaller pictures load faster.
3. Bandwith has a cost associated with it (This directly effects Kermee).
4. Too much bandwidth per month and the forum is shut down until the next month (this affects us as users).
5. Smaller pictures prevent the reader from having to scroll left to right to see the entire image.
6. Smaller pictures allow those with dialup to enjoy your pictures too.

Personally I would suggest not making your images any wider than 600 pixels, 800 at the max.
This will insure that no one needs to scroll left and right to see the entire image.

A JPG compression level of 20 or a quality level of 80 (depending on how the app designates this) will result in a very good image for display on the forum.

Below are several freeware image utilities. Freeware means you don't have to pay any money to use these and you may share these apps with others. These are tools are listed in order from simple to advanced.

Thanks to forum members bd, CTkelly, DigMe, and Engineer for their suggestions on freeware.

All of these are for Windows platforms except XnView and GIMP which can be used on multiple operating systems. If you need a version other than Windows of these two, do a Google search on the name and get the ersion you need from their website.

These have been placed in a folder on my website so you can get them all from one location. These are the most recent versions as of May 28, 2005. Check the software author's website from time to time for updates.

The link to the download area is at the end of this post.

----------------------
Resize - (resize.zip) 336K download

That's all this application does, resize the picture. It allows you to change the physical dimensions of a BMP or JPG file.
It also allows you to change the amount of compression (which directly effects quality and size) of a JPG file. Only use JPG images for posting to the forum.

There are two files in this zip file and they can be placed anywhere on your hard drive. A third file is created the first time you run this application that handles program settings.

----------------------

IrfanView - (iview397.exe) 875K download

Allows you to create images, resize, rotate, crop, select filters, change colors, etc.

----------------------

XnView - (XnView-win-en.exe) 2,074K download
(XnView-win-small.exe) 1,301K download

Both will resize images. The larger one is the standard version. The small one is a compact version.
Allows you to create images, resize, rotate, crop, select filters, change colors, etc.
Nice application and good interface. Just a quick glance at this one, I'm impressed.

----------------------

Picasa2 - (picasa2-setup-1884.exe) 3,246K download

When opened it will scan your hard drive for images and show them as thumbnails.
Sort of a quirky interface IMHO. Resizing pictures is a hidden feature.
You must select "Export Picture to Folder" to get to the resize function.
This is an application by Google.

----------------------

GIMP - (gtk+2.6.7-setup-1.zip) 3,589K download
(gimp-2.2.7-i586-setup.zip) 7,331K download

You need BOTH of these files - Run the gtk file first, then run gimp. This application will consume over 20GB of hard drive space.

This is a full featured graphic editor allowing you to create and edit graphics using multiple layers. Not bad for free.

----------------------

Download Freeware Image Applications.

----------------------
Posting your pictures.

Pictures are not uploaded directly to the forum. You need to host them somewhere else. This is different for Avatars, they can be uploaded directly to the forum.

If your internet provider gives you space to create your own website then you can post your pictures to your storage space and link to your images. You don't need to have created a website, the storage area is all you need.

If you don't have space with your provider, here are two (there are many others) free hosting services.

Photobucket
Image Shack

Do a search on "free image hosting" if you would like other options.

Hope this has been helpful.
If you have any questions, PM me.

TomSwift

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Someone should make this a sticky.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Damn,

And this whole time with only a 1.3MP camera I have been upsampling....

-Dana

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Did this ever get up in the FAQ?

It should be.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I just chewed up some Double Bubble for the
specific purpose of making a sticky!

Good job Tom.

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two questions:

1) Why was my previous post deleted from this thread?

2) Why are we being told that large images will cause bandwidth problems for the owner and the board, when images are stored on and loaded from a third party server? I agree that resizing is nice, but the reasons given are misleading.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
This thread is a couple years old.

closed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.