Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally ordered and installed the PRP trigger kit earlier this week. Turned out to be quite an exercise but now I've got a better working knowledge of my pistol! Trigger pull is lighter, although not as noticeably as I'd hoped. However I assume it'll continue to lighten up a little more as I get more rounds through it.

I'm still working on ingraining the "surprise break" habit. I tend to anticipate a little still and tensing up results in some pulling to the left. On the shots where I deliberately stop, take my time, and focus solely on pulling the trigger back, imagining I'm dry firing, my shits go exactly where I want. I just need to continue to make that automatic. You can see quite a few shots off target (to the left) from earlier rounds before I got into a rhythm with consistent "surprise break" firing.

Anyways, I shot 100 rds, and the last 2 mags worth my goal was to hit a headshot on every round at 15 yards. I definitely slowed down and took my time with each round, mentally refocusing and making sure to have a surprise break, and am pretty proud of how I did!

Pistol: XDs 9mm 3.3in

2nd to last round (7 shots)

Last round (7 shots)

Perspective:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not bad shooting at all for 15 yards. I think you are on the right track, keep working on the fundamentals - sight picture, trigger pull, etc., - and the speed will come. It just isn't much good to be fast if you aren't hitting the target.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just curious, how much lighter were you hoping for? When I installed my prp drop in, it was night and day lighter. Scary light even.. Are you sure you installed it correctly?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not bad shooting at all for 15 yards. I think you are on the right track, keep working on the fundamentals - sight picture, trigger pull, etc., - and the speed will come. It just isn't much good to be fast if you aren't hitting the target.
My sight picture is good, it's really just breaking myself of shot anticipation. On the shots where I know I do a good job of that, the round goes exactly where I wanted, which to me says my sight picture is fine. Just gotta stop the flinch.

Strangely, I've practiced drawing from concealment and firing, and am totally happy with my performance on that. Drawing as quickly as possible and firing as soon as I get the slightest bead on my front sight, I can put the round within a 3" radius of the bullseye every time at 7 yds. I attribute that to a) my natural POA works well with this pistol, and b) the fact that when doing that exercise there is no time to "think" about pulling the trigger, and as a result I don't anticipate/flinch.

Of course, I say I'm happy with that because that's more personal defense training and if I can consistently hit a 6" diameter target at 7 yds during a quick draw drill, I feel confident I can hit center mass in a SD scenario. Shrinking the grouping for that isn't really a priority for me right now.

Now follow-up shots...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious, how much lighter were you hoping for? When I installed my prp drop in, it was night and day lighter. Scary light even.. Are you sure you installed it correctly?
I'm sure. It definitely is better, don't get me wrong. I'm not unhappy with it, I just wouldn't mind if it were a little lighter still :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
................there is no drop in trigger for the XDS ,only a spring kit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think the spring kit does as much for the post recall guns. My pull went from 8 to 6.5......not much reduction but noticibly smoother. I also had some light primer strikes until I got about 100 rounds through the gun with the new spring kit. This gun definitely requires breaking-in; 300-500 rounds. Don't be afraid to install the kit yourself; just have and use the right tools and don't force anything. It will be a good lesson in familiarization with the gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think the spring kit does as much for the post recall guns. My pull went from 8 to 6.5......not much reduction but noticibly smoother. I also had some light primer strikes until I got about 100 rounds through the gun with the new spring kit. This gun definitely requires breaking-in; 300-500 rounds. Don't be afraid to install the kit yourself; just have and use the right tools and don't force anything. There are good instructional videos on youtube. It will be a good lesson in familiarization with the gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts