Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sending mine off for new sights and a coat this week, and I am considering getting the controlls done in Parkerize and the slide in matte black. Does anyone have this configuration? If not I'd like to see the black/black combo as well.....Cant seem to find any pictures here....
Does it match the frame better than the stock coat?

thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I found that, however none of the pix on the site have the matte black slide on the black frame....its the slide only. I was more interested in pix of everything put together with black slide/black controlls and or black slide parkerize controlls... I also want to see how well the blacked slide maches the frame :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well James just shipped my XD-9 Sub today so when I get it back in a few days I will post pics. I had the slide and controls dura-coated Matte-Black.

Edit. Forgot to say my frame is black so we shall see how things look all put together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will get the pics taken and posted as soon as I get my XD like I said. James turnaround was excellent, He received my pistol last Wed. and shipped it yesterday. Just the transit time is what is what slows it all down.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
yeah, I'm trying to figure out what color I would like my xd... post your pics guys. I like that Colt Grey one... and the stone 45 is growing on me. What if the frame was stone and the slide was still black?

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I was thinking about the matte black. However, the website was a little confusing:
Is perfect for these situations:

Rust protection.
Those who want color options.
Not a stainless XD.
XD shows heavy Bruniral wear.
Bruniral can’t be patched up.

My original finish is fine -no rust, scratches, etc. I was just considering it because - a. I like the appearance, and b. I want a more durable finish for my carry XDSC.

Any reason not to go with the DuraCoat?

·
Registered
34 Posts
James assured me via email today that my SD will be delivered by UPS this Friday so as soon as I unpack it I will take some snapshots to post.

It is only 3 weeks old and nothing was wrong with the finish but I know from years of experience that if the options are available to coat as much steel as possible the better the firearm will treat you over time. It is easy to upkeep a firearm that just sees carry and range use but if situations change for some unknown reason the option to baby the weapon may not be there. Protecting the surface and controls is over half the battle.

The Matte-Black finish to me was the logical choice as it is low sheen and the color is not what makes the gun anyway. I f I had wanted an off color just for the sake of making it look better I would have purchased a firearm that came in designer colors.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Here are a couple of pix of an XD-40 SC that James
sold me. Before he shipped it, I had it DuroCoated
black and had the TruGlo TFOs installed.

These are small images, if you would like much larger
size and your ISP can handle them, I will be happy to
send them if you PM me.

I am as tickled with the three of my XDs which James
has applied his handy work as if I had been tickled by the
original Volume 10 by Dr. Z's story about the 'Tickler'.

Ed

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ed,

That's the matte black finish? In the pics I saw before I thought it matched the frame color a little closer.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Ok. I just told James to go at it and do his liking.
I are easy to please.

Ed

·
Registered
50 Posts
Clarification Ed Ely. I'm asking - not telling! I thought the Matte Black finish was a really close match to the frame. Is that not true?

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
No the Matte Black looks kind of like the new style Glock slides, some what shiney. None of the colors matches the frame just becuase it will always look different becuase of materials, and texture the slide is flat. The only way to match a frame and slide exact is to coat both of them with the same coat. The closest color to match is the colt grey and it still looks like you just oiled your slide.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I appreciate the info AJAmes. I'm going to be sending mine in one of these days. I need to spend some more on ammo first though. I'm doing too much reading on this forum and not enough shooting! :oops:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts