Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my new XDM .40 today. I know that they have a higher capacity, 16+1. Does that mean 16 in the magazine and one loaded in the bbl?

Also, I know that people have said that the mag loader that comes with them sucks, and I just want to confirm this. It doesn't evenly press on the cartridges and makes for difficult loading. Guess I will be getting myself an UpLULA.

·
Registered
708 Posts
No question about a Firearm is Silly. the answer is Yes. One round chambered + 16 in the mag = 17.
The Mag Loader that comes with it works just fine. Learn to use it before spending money on a UpLula. It came with the Gun didn't it? I use mine & Love it!
Safe Shooting and Welcome to XDTalk! :)

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
No question about a Firearm is Silly. the answer is Yes. One round chambered + 16 in the mag = 17.
The Mag Loader that comes with it works just fine. Learn to use it before spending money on a UpLula. It came with the Gun didn't it? I use mine & Love it!
Safe Shooting and Welcome to XDTalk! :)
+1 on the XD gear. Works great.

But the UpLula is great if your a cross-caliber guy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you press on the front of the round in the mag as you press on the loader you won't have an issue. I didn't have any real complaints about it.

Congrats on the purchase!
Yep, you are correct. With the first mag, it was causing the back of the casing to go down, while the front stayed up. I found out with the second mag that pushing on the front helps tremendously. Also, the springs seemed quite stiff, but they will loosen over time. I'll leave them loaded overnight, until I can get to the range tomorrow.

Also, to get the full 17 capacity, I would need to load the mag, then insert the mag into the gun and chamber a round, then replace that round in the mag, correct?? I ask this because I read somewhere that chambering a round manually was bad and may damage the extractor (I think). Comments on this?

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Yep, you are correct. With the first mag, it was causing the back of the casing to go down, while the front stayed up. I found out with the second mag that pushing on the front helps tremendously. Also, the springs seemed quite stiff, but they will loosen over time. I'll leave them loaded overnight, until I can get to the range tomorrow.

Also, to get the full 17 capacity, I would need to load the mag, then insert the mag into the gun and chamber a round, then replace that round in the mag, correct?? I ask this because I read somewhere that chambering a round manually was bad and may damage the extractor (I think). Comments on this?
You are correct. Another method is to just load one round into and empty mag and chamber it, then load that mag or insert another loaded mag. I prefer this method as you will find it doesn't dent the casing. The XD gear mag loader works. If you shoot occasionally, I would probably keep it, but if you shoot a lot go for the UpLula. I love mine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i guess im one of the few that uses only his hands and manually loads xdms???

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess im one of the few that uses only his hands and manually loads xdms???
That is how I have loaded past mags, but the new springs are a little stiff still to be able to load all 16 by hand. They will settle in and be easier as they get used.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another method is to just load one round into and empty mag and chamber it, then load that mag or insert another loaded mag. I prefer this method as you will find it doesn't dent the casing.
I prefer this method because dropping an almost fully loaded mag is a major pain thus far (keeping my mags fully loaded for a couple of weeks has helped a lil')

For the price, i think the free mag loader is excellent :p

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you only have the one gun then the crappy XD gear loader will probably do.
If you own several pistols, then the UpLULA is a must..:mrgreen:
maglula Ltd. - The world's #1 magazine loaders and unloaders !
And good luck with that XD gear holster....:roll:

Welcome to the forum 99vengeur..:wink:
Thanks. I only have the XDM for now, but we all know that doesn't usually last that long before more are scooped up. lol

What, you don't like the XD gear holster? :rolleyes: It will have to do for now while I'm at the range until I can get my CCL and a Supertuck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with some of the other poster: the mag Loader that comes with the XD Gear works just fine. The thing that I have noted with folk who have difficulty with it is that they do not raise the loader far enough between loading cartridges to allow pushing the "just loaded one" all the way to the rear of the mag. Once you establish a rhythm you can load quite rapidly. I own both the XD Gear loader and an UpLULA and if I did not have two othger pistols of different caliber, I would not have spent the extra money. Of course, I don't shoot competition either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts