Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this has been posted before, i just got it. i called springfield on it. they said this has occurred on all models, just most prominently the .40 for some unknown reason. this is only caused by an extreme amount of dry fires as in doing dry fire exercises very regularly over a long time frame. they are not selling/distributing a replacement part to be pro-active saying the average user should not wear this part out. they will replace it IF the part fails though. and of course they recommended using snap caps to do dry fire drills and the only time the pistol should be dry fired is to disassemble.

$attachment.jpeg

·
Registered
803 Posts
Where did you obtain this information from? I would have not been aware of the issue if I hadnt ready your post. I cant find anything from Springfield online regarding this problem. Is Springfield notifying consumers?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
This is not a major issue... or even a minor one, thats why you havent heard of it... roll pins can break, but its extremely rare. Try doing a search on here and you will see its more of an "urban legend" than an actual problem, a few instances of it happening were blown out of proportion by trolls, nothing more.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well, I believe you can get them at the hardware store for a few cents. I have PRP roll pins, they are a site sponsor and make great hardware.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Not again.

No the gun does not become in operable. I've removed the roll pin and the gun still functions. Yes even with the striker sticking out the breech face.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Is this something to be concerned with as I just purchased my XDM .40 Sep 2, 2011

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Is this something to be concerned with as I just purchased my XDM .40 Sep 2, 2011
You should send it to me for immediate inspection;)

Seriously people, use the search function... this has been discussed on here hundreds of times, and I've only been on here for 7 months:shock:

·
Registered
803 Posts
ok cool...My next buy will be the XDM .45 and didnt want to get myself into any binds!

·
Registered
803 Posts
You should send it to me for immediate inspection;)

Seriously people, use the search function... this has been discussed on here hundreds of times, and I've only been on here for 7 months:shock:
lol...I think ill be ok

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know what Springfield told anyone else but when I talked to them about this they didn't say it happens on all of them they said the pin is the same on them all but that there is no problem if you don't excessively dry fire. My grandfather told me when I got my first .22 that a gun was ment to fire a bullet not to play with so I was never allowed to dry fire ... that was over 40 years ago and I remember it to this day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Houston56,
If you buy a.45 the only bind you may find yourself in is running out of ammo or ammo money! The .45 in any model is one of the sweetest shooting guns you cna have. Especially if you install a PRP trigger kit and different sights.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
That attachement does not even look like anything official from Springfield Armory, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
That attachement does not even look like anything official from Springfield Armory, or am I missing something?
No it is not from S.A it is from some police departments training division. All guns need replacement parts a perfect example is the Beretta 92 every 5000 rounds you should replace the trigger spring if it needs it or not. Every weapon should have a maintenance/inspection schedule. The gun will still function with out the roll pin. if the roll pin is the only potential problem with the XD I can take that, look how many recalls Glocks have been through including the new Gen 4`s. If they are really scared they can replace the roll pins with some from powder river or use snap caps.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
No it is not from S.A it is from some police departments training division. All guns need replacement parts a perfect example is the Beretta 92 every 5000 rounds you should replace the trigger spring if it needs it or not. Every weapon should have a maintenance/inspection schedule. The gun will still function with out the roll pin. if the roll pin is the only potential problem with the XD I can take that, look how many recalls Glocks have been through including the new Gen 4`s. If they are really scared they can replace the roll pins with some from powder river or use snap caps.
LE wussies :rolleyes: ... And an old timer with very few posts, causing another panic ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts