Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get everyones thoughts on this, I have a friend who is wanting to trade me his 8 year old, lnib S&W 5906 with adjustable sights for one of my XD9's. I shoot both pistols about the same. whats every one thoughts on this, trade or not.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Gunbroker.com has them for about $400 to $500 in good shape. Both pistols are fairly common. I don't see how anyone here can make your decision for you, but who knows?
I CCW a S&W 3913 which is basically a compact version of the 5906. I like it and it has been totally reliable. I carry hammer down, safety on, loaded chamber and it doesn't take long to get a round off with the double action mode.
Good luck with your choice, I would vote. "Let him sell it and get his own XD" 8)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If you're asking us to tell you to get rid of your XD, you'll be outta luck I think. ;)

That said--your choice. Nobody here can make it for you. Just ask yourself if you'd regret it in a year when you start thinking about that XD you had. :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
hobocircus said:
Good luck with your choice, I would vote. "Let him sell it and get his own XD"
+1

Avoid doing business with friends or family. Great way to ruin a relationship.

jonas

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ask "What's in it for me?" A good trade should be beneficial for both parties. For example, you are going to lose an XD9. The gun you get in return should be worth more to you, whether for practical or sentimental reasons, than the gun you lose. Your friend probably wants to trade because he thinks he's getting the better deal. Something to think about....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just was curious what everyojnes thoughts were, Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would not do it.

The 5906 would be a step backward. I have seen them going for $300 here all day long, used LEO tradeins though they may be.

They are a decent, solid, reliable 9mm but they are heavy, overly complicated internally and a PITA to work on. They also have the slide-mounted S&W safety that can be problematic for those trained in rapid slide manipulation drills.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts