Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I bought a mod 2 in 9mm from a person who said it was brand new (I know not everyone tells the truth). When I took it out for the first 150 rounds, using majority reloads (I know I shouldn't with a new gun etc etc etc) but there were 2-3 issues with the bullet not fully being inserted into the barrel causing it to jam where I couldn't tap, rack, and pull. To fix it, I ejected the mag and tapped the back of the slide forward. Reloaded an empty mag and safely fired the bullet.

I went home thinking I goofed on my reloads.

Today, my wife was using it (and happy to announce she loved it and shot it better than her g19...this will be her new carry and I get to order the bitone version now) and out of roughly 100 rounds she experienced the same issue using factory loads (Tula Ammo Brass Max 115grn FMJ) 2 times. Each time was on her last or second to last bullet in the mag. I believe this was the same on my experience.

Any thoughts? I know I'm still in the break in period but I never had this issue with factory or with reloads before with any other guns including other SAs.

Thanks and stay safe.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've had both reloads and factory ammo that worked fine in one firearm but would not fully cycle another.

I would check the extractor for proper function and check the recoil spring.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
if it is truly brand new you are going to want to break the weapon down and take the grease out of it from the factory. Reapply some oil of your choice, avoiding the striker channel (firing pin area, indicator area) at all costs

Then try again and see if it won't run perfect

when you say the round wouldn't chamber proper, was the slide closing on the case itself or was the OAL too long on the cartridge for the slide to close???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it is truly brand new you are going to want to break the weapon down and take the grease out of it from the factory. Reapply some oil of your choice, avoiding the striker channel (firing pin area, indicator area) at all costs

Then try again and see if it won't run perfect

when you say the round wouldn't chamber proper, was the slide closing on the case itself or was the OAL too long on the cartridge for the slide to close???
With my reloads I thought it was the OAL. I spot checked the others that I had and all were within tolerance. I'll admit on any factory ammo I do not verify the OAL but just a quick glance to see if any glaring defects. Nothing that I could see.

Then I thought maybe the magazine spring as it appeared to me only happening on the last or second to last round. However, the 2 mags I was using today are new from SA as well.

When I mentioned chamber not fully resetting, it would leave about 1/8 of an inch left to travel which would signal too me that the round itself is too long. It could be as the factory ammo used were made by Tula.

I clean any gun I purchase new (or at least new to me) but I will check the pin and ejector.

I sent SA an email to see what they suggest and the next time I'm out, I'll check with factory Winchester or some other mainstream brand to see if I have the same issues.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Since it's only on the last couple of rounds, maybe you could try just loading two in the mag and see if it will chamber them properly. If not, my money is on the mag springs or the follower sticking or hanging. Wouldn't hurt to disassemble the magazines and give them a good cleaning. Sometimes there can be crud in them left over from the manufacturing/assembling process.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since it's only on the last couple of rounds, maybe you could try just loading two in the mag and see if it will chamber them properly. If not, my money is on the mag springs or the follower sticking or hanging. Wouldn't hurt to disassemble the magazines and give them a good cleaning. Sometimes there can be crud in them left over from the manufacturing/assembling process.
Good point. I'll clean the out today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts