Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought my XDm 45 last week and took it out for the first time today....after breaking it down when I got home I was examining the slide and noticed that it had a rather crude looking cut or chip in the slide between the area for the barrel and the area for the guide rod and spring....the way the slide appears to be machined makes me think that it is suppose to be like this, but the cut out or chip just seems so crude and jagged that I'm questioning it

A photo is attached, just wondering if anyone else's slide looks this way. I put a rolled piece of paper into the hole for the barrel to try to get a better picture Iphone camera wasn't letting me get a very high quality photo.

Any help would be great! thanks!

NickT

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Mine looks exactly the same. I've put about 400 rounds to it without a single issue....well, none aside from my roomate dropping the magazine in gravel while looking for the thumb safety :p

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
A bit hard to see. Could not get the pic contrast down enough to see it clearly. I could be wrong but It does appear to be the clearance cut for the barrel. This area is cut away to make it easier to install/remove the barrel from the slide. As it is not a function surface of the slide it is often not finished real smooth or even. Sort of like not finish sanding the wood on the underside of a drawer. Just not necessary and reduces the time/cost of making the product. If it really bothers you, wrap some 600 grit paper on a dowel and lightly smooth just the rough edges. The recoil spring moves inside the cylindrical portion so you do not want the change the fit or contour. This will however remove the finish color from where you remove material. I would just leave as is.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That notch is a result of the second cut for the barrel to allow it to tilt when the slide is retracted. It's totally normal and common to any semi auto with a tilting barrel. So, don't worry about it, it's how it has to be made. BTW, if you look closely at the front of the slide with the gun in battery you'll see a bit of an "eyebrow" above the barrel and that too is completely normal and there to allow the barrel to tilt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My XDM 40 with the 4.5 barrel looks the exact same. I had the same question with the jaggedness of the cut. I sent photos into a rep at Springfield and she had the tech look at it and said that is exactly what it should look like.
200+ rounds with no problems.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That notch is a result of the second cut for the barrel to allow it to tilt when the slide is retracted. It's totally normal and common to any semi auto with a tilting barrel. So, don't worry about it, it's how it has to be made. BTW, if you look closely at the front of the slide with the gun in battery you'll see a bit of an "eyebrow" above the barrel and that too is completely normal and there to allow the barrel to tilt.
Seems like even finding this out was kinda poor practice. Unless of course you used a mirror :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts