Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i had a question. i purchased the xd45 4inch barrel and not until afterwards i did my research and asked around and found out the only the v10 9mm and 40mm come ported at the barrel and slide. i called springfield today and they said they could port my 45 the same way for about 520.00. i was wondering if anyone knew another shop or place i could possibly get it ported? oh and if there's a reason why they didn't make the 45 in that option? unsafe? i tried researching and i didn't find a reason why it was bad. thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The .45 is a LOW pressure round, and the porting just makes it loud, as there isn't much gas pressure to work the porting. You would be better off with a compensator for reduced muzzle flip.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you could hang some weight from the light rail underneath that would probably cut muzzle flip more than anything. Seems someone should make those. Should be fairly cheap.

·
Registered
410 Posts
There is a thread somewhere here about adding a custom weight on the inner-front end of the frame. You might wanna use the search button for that.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Guys listen to Scott (loves2shoot) he's a pro gun smith and has been working on XD's for a very long time!!! I would say he's one of the few "experts" who REALLY knows XD's!!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mag-na-port International--The Mag-na-port Process: Handgun Porting (Scroll down to auto porting)
Mag-na-port International--Porting Pricelist & Miscellaneous Services (6th line down)

$129.50 plus shipping is how I read it. You will end up with a pair or parallel slots in your slide and barrel. It's not exactly a V-10, but it's also not $500. Magnaport is a very good company to work with. I hav a revolver done once, about a million years ago...

If the pistol is just for your enjoyment, then the experiment might be worth it. If it's a defense pistol, I'd skip it. The 45 does not gain much, and you end up diverting a percentage of gasses up towards your face, if you ever fire without your arms extended.

It's up to you...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If it's a defense pistol, I'd skip it. The 45 does not gain much, and you end up diverting a percentage of gasses up towards your face, if you ever fire without your arms extended.

It's up to you...
You will also get a flash out of your porting causing night blindness if your pistol is fired in a dark place. Not what you want to happen if you need to use your pistol in a defensive situation. Just my $.02

·
Registered
706 Posts
You will also get a flash out of your porting causing night blindness if your pistol is fired in a dark place. Not what you want to happen if you need to use your pistol in a defensive situation. Just my $.02
I, for one, am not so convinced this is true for a 45, necessarily. First off, choose low flash loads... SEcondly, how long does it take to blink versus how long the flash hangs in the air?

I will certainly conceed the fact that "low flash" has no industry standard of measure. And I'll also conceed that you can find pictures of muzzle flash. But does the flash hang longer then it takes for you to blink? Do you not blink as the pistol 2 to 3 feet from your eyes fires?

Yes, if you choose slower burning powders, or loads containing slower burning powders, you will see the flash in many calibers, but I'm not so sure any decent 45ACP load will do that.

Now, a full house 44 magnum and Alliant 2400 power makes one heck of a visable flash, as it hangs due to the slow burn and the fact that the burn generally takes longer than the bullet is in the barrel. It's half flame thrower in many cases.

But be sure that I'm not one to say to port a defense pistol. Race guns? Fun guns? Yes to both, but not something I may have to shoot from my armpit, just as soon as it clears a holster.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hanging weights make the gun unwieldy (hard to start and stop) and that is why people use compensators instead.
Hanging weights under the gun would be cheap and that is why people sell compensators instead. :rolleyes:
Some people use extra heavy guide rods for weight but a little lead weight on the guide rail would probably be about a dollar.
Some people get the 5" barrel instead of the 4" for a little forward weight to stop muzzle flip but that can get awkward in some concealed holsters.
Since weight is weight it makes no sense to say that a little lead on the rail would be "unwieldy" but a heavy guide rod or longer barrel and slide wouldn't...unless you're selling something else.
I like my idea better. :idea:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
A little lead won't do anything. Try to add enough weight to the bottom of the light rail to even get to half the efficiency of a properly designed comp and then get back to me.

Please share your results once you figure how much weight it takes to equal HALF the reduction in muzzle flip as a comp?

I'll even help you out, a good comp will take the flip to about 1/8".

You can think anything you want, but until you understand the physics of recoil and muzzle flip, thinking alone won't do much for you.

ps. I don't ever recommend the extra heavy (ie. Tungsten) guide rods either, as the gun handling characteristic suck and if you are strong enough that they don't make it hard to stop and start, you shouldn't be concerned with the recoil.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hanging weights under the gun would be cheap and that is why people sell compensators instead. :rolleyes:
Some people use extra heavy guide rods for weight but a little lead weight on the guide rail would probably be about a dollar.
Some people get the 5" barrel instead of the 4" for a little forward weight to stop muzzle flip but that can get awkward in some concealed holsters.
Since weight is weight it makes no sense to say that a little lead on the rail would be "unwieldy" but a heavy guide rod or longer barrel and slide wouldn't...unless you're selling something else.
I like my idea better. :idea:
Sounds pretty logical when you put it that way.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I, for one, am not so convinced this is true for a 45, necessarily. First off, choose low flash loads... SEcondly, how long does it take to blink versus how long the flash hangs in the air?

I will certainly conceed the fact that "low flash" has no industry standard of measure. And I'll also conceed that you can find pictures of muzzle flash. But does the flash hang longer then it takes for you to blink? Do you not blink as the pistol 2 to 3 feet from your eyes fires?

Yes, if you choose slower burning powders, or loads containing slower burning powders, you will see the flash in many calibers, but I'm not so sure any decent 45ACP load will do that.

Now, a full house 44 magnum and Alliant 2400 power makes one heck of a visable flash, as it hangs due to the slow burn and the fact that the burn generally takes longer than the bullet is in the barrel. It's half flame thrower in many cases.

But be sure that I'm not one to say to port a defense pistol. Race guns? Fun guns? Yes to both, but not something I may have to shoot from my armpit, just as soon as it clears a holster.
I agree with most of your post. However I have shot my 45 Tactical in waining light and I have had some video shot of me shooting my 45 and there is a good sized visible flash/flame out of the muzzle, these are standard factory loads not low flash. How much of that will come out through the porting, low flash or not, I don't know. Just saying that it's possible even with low flash rounds to get muzzle flash out of the porting and have it cause night blindness. The old saying all is fair in love and war is so true. I want every tactical advantage that I can get as I'm sure everyone does. So yes I agree with you fun, race/competition gun sure. If it's a defensive/combat gun I wouldn't recommend porting it. Again this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree with most of your post. However I have shot my 45 Tactical in waining light and I have had some video shot of me shooting my 45 and there is a good sized visible flash/flame out of the muzzle, these are standard factory loads not low flash. How much of that will come out through the porting, low flash or not, I don't know. Just saying that it's possible even with low flash rounds to get muzzle flash out of the porting and have it cause night blindness. The old saying all is fair in love and war is so true. I want every tactical advantage that I can get as I'm sure everyone does. So yes I agree with you fun, race/competition gun sure. If it's a defensive/combat gun I wouldn't recommend porting it. Again this is just my opinion.
No debate on the existence of the flash, just on how much, and how long it hangs compared to how fast you blink. I think with a 45, you are looking at a fairly small and fast burning flash. Certainly, some ammo flashes more and hangs longer, but I just don't see much from a 45. I've been wrong before...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I don't blink when I shoot, and a blink is a reaction to either the sound or the noise, so I don't know that you could blink fast enough not to see the flash. Trying to time the blink doesn't make much sense to me, it seems like a waste of effort.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've seen pictures of folks that do not blink when they shoot. I'm sure I'm not one of them. I blink. Maybe lots more folks do not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys for all the info! i'm really glad i asked before i jumped and did it. I'm eventually going to carry my xd i'm just waiting for my new ccw card. so porting will be out of the question for this gun atleast. i really want to get into comp shooting so i guess down the road ill be picking up a 9 or a 40 to play with. thanks again to everyone for their input and i'll be looking into the compensators instead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts