Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... please don't shoot me if this has been asked before, or if it's a stupid question... but I have to know...

I'm about to order a EFK Fire Dragon barrel for my XD40 Tactical. I wanted to get the 9mm conversion barrel. I noticed they sell a "ported" version. I have two questions, as I've never owned a ported firearm before.

1) If my XD40 is not a "ported" model, can I install the ported 9mm barrel in my firearm?
2) What benifits would this provide? Recoil reduction, right?

I've seen other ported firearms - rifles and revolvers if I remember correctly (never shot those). My father in law has a ported Glock .40 - but his slide has the cuts on it. Not sure about his barrel. I've shot his, and it seems to have much less recoil than my XD, thus my reason for asking about it.

Thanks in advance,
All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
189 Posts
You would need reliefs cut in your slide to run a ported barrel of factory lenght. You can run a longer barrel so the ports clear the slide all together. Advantage is really less muzzle flip, quicker follow up shots. There kinda neat, but not good for SD because of flash and debries since most things of that nature happen in the dark. Call me wierd, but even if I have a gun thats purpose is really for the range I still like to know its perfectly suited if I need it for SD... Hince I personally don't have a ported barrel on anything.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Guess I'm getting a regular barrel then, because what you said makes sense regarding shooting in low light conditions.
All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
42 Posts
I own a XD 40 V10 which is the one that has the ported barrel from the factory and I trully love it, in fact I liked it so much I purchased the conversion barrel from EFK, the barrel is actually 4 1/2 inches instead of 4 inches like the regular barrel so it is design for the ports to stick out 1/2 inch out of the slide so the ports clear, it might be an inconvinience but it sure is nice to shoot, plus you cant go wrong shooting 9mm at the range much cheaper than 40 or 357, and when needed you can always convert it back to a 40 or 357, the only thing is that you will also need to get new 9mm mags since the ones you have wont work with the new setup.

I love the EFK barrel and cant say anything bad about it, specially when the recoil on it is so low, the $180 dollars stick price is definetly worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts