Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking for the pros and cons of using a ported barrel on a personal security / home defense XDM 40SW compact.

No holsters have been purchased yet, so i would select a holster that will work with the barrel sticking out past the muzzle of the pistol, if the ported barrel will require that.

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am asking for the pros and cons of using a ported barrel on a personal security / home defense XDM 40SW compact.

No holsters have been purchased yet, so i would select a holster that will work with the barrel sticking out past the muzzle of the pistol, if the ported barrel will require that.

Thanks

Stick with factory with a defense gun. I know having port's slows down the bullet, my buddy need's to add more powder to achieve the same chrono speed opposed to me having no ports using less powder.

·
Premium Member
128,276 Posts
Not a good choice for the reasons stated above. Also, muzzle flash can cause instant night blindness for the shooter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, until you have a night shooting experience, you will never know. Go with what feels best with you. At my CCW course, the trainer mentioned that what does it matter whether the flame is going straight out or up? We had a pitch black shooting drill and to be honest, I don't think it would have mattered. With my barrel not being ported, the flames coming out of the gun were still inevitably bright, and I still couldn't see my target. Yet, I was still 19/19 on getting all the rounds into the manikin we shot. Go with what you like best, and makes you feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Worst idea possible. If you are up close and personal with your attacker and you have to keep the weapon tucked in tight in order to keep it under control where do you think a lot of those escaping gases could go? Thats right directly up into your face. I have seen it happen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You'll see less muzzle flip, thus faster follow-up shots. Try them back-to-back, you'll see; faster follow-ups are worth a bit more noise. And I'd like to see some verifiable numbers on velocity loss, as there's a lot of misinformation around. In my experience velocity loss was minimal in brake vs non-braked comparisons.

Just don't shoot with the muzzle up by your eye. :razz:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Worst idea possible. If you are up close and personal with your attacker and you have to keep the weapon tucked in tight in order to keep it under control where do you think a lot of those escaping gases could go? Thats right directly up into your face. I have seen it happen.
+1. In my CRG class a guy had to stop the drill after firing from position 2 when he got crap in his eyes. The instructor warned him but he thought he knew better.

IMO the whole faster follow up shots argument is not that relevant either in a SD situation. Most encounters take place in under five yards where many are point shooting anyway. If you can't double tap at 5 yards with an unmodified gun then you need more than porting.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
+1. In my CRG class a guy had to stop the drill after firing from position 2 when he got crap in his eyes. The instructor warned him but he thought he knew better.

IMO the whole faster follow up shots argument is not that relevant either in a SD situation. Most encounters take place in under five yards where many are point shooting anyway. If you can't double tap at 5 yards with an unmodified gun then you need more than porting.
This....

But since you asked, check out raven holsters, you can ask them if they can cut out a hole for the ported barrel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Consider this scenario: you in the driver's seat of car, your loved in passenger seat. You need to shoot out the passenger side window, the ported barrel may cause considerably more damage to the loved one than non-ported. Of course either barrel will be loud for the passenger, and even blinding because of the proximity, but the non-ported should theoretically be less problematicwith the blast shooting out the window and not both out the front and sides of the barrel.

Thankfully, I've not had to encounter this, so my post is from a completely speculative perspective. If anyone has had the misfortune of encountering this circumstance and suggests otherwise, they should certainly be the authority.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Folks,

Thanks for your opinions and experience on this, so far. The ported barrels that I would install, are longer than stock (4.5+ versus 3.8) so in this case, bullet velocity reduction (compared to the factory 3.8 barrel) due to porting would not be a factor.

I know that another way that I can reduce muzzle flip is with the heavier tungsten guide rod. Probably a longer barrel without porting would also reduce muzzle flip, but I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This is a good thread. I concidered getting a ported barrel for my wife since it has less muzzle flip, but after reading this i'm having second thoughts...

To the OP, they made a lot of good points about having to keep the weapon close to your body, or having it cause more damage to a loved one if in a vehicle. That alone is reason enough for me to not use a ported barrel on my defense weapon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm not shooting a ported barrel from a retention position.

Since self defense is likely to involve shooting from a retention position, I will not have a ported barrel on a defense gun.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not shooting a ported barrel from a retention position.

Since self defense is likely to involve shooting from a retention position, I will not have a ported barrel on a defense gun.
I understand that shooting a ported pistol, from the retention position CAN be safely done by rotating the pistol sideways, with the port angled AWAY from the body. Similar to a well known karate fist positioning prior to a punch.

Seems like I read somewhere that it is taught to LEOS with ported pistols.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I understand that shooting a ported pistol, from the retention position CAN be safely done by rotating the pistol sideways, with the port angled AWAY from the body. Similar to a well known karate fist positioning prior to a punch.

Seems like I read somewhere that it is taught to LEOS with ported pistols.
If you have to think about it when it comes time to actually do it...you haven't practiced enough.;)

One of he local PD's duty weapons are G22C's. They like them a lot.
I certainly believe you guys, that proper use can be "trained and engrained" - but for me personally, it's a no go.

I have to keep it simple, 'cause I'm stupid.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Self defense ammunition manufactures use a special low flash powder for a reason.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts