Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's the slowest image host I've ever seen. Try www.imageshack.us next time.

Edit: Finally loaded the "last beer" pic. WTF is up lately with people pointing weapons at their pets/friends?! Learn some gun-handling rules before doing that again, I don't care how many times you checked the Goddamn thing. If that were me, I would have beat the **** out of you for that. It's not even remotely funny.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
wfrazee said:
Call me a photography biggot but I am one of those guys that likes a little more contrast. Nice XD though, I like it.
I agree that the lack of contrast between the gun and the jacket leaves something be be desired. But the glare of the cartridges is pretty cool. Almost looks like it was done with a glare filter (I realize it wasn't). But it's an effect I would use if I had a digital camera that took filters and let me change lenses. Unfortunately, I have been spending too much $ on guns and ammo and range time recently.

Anyone want to buy some really nice 35mm film cameras with all kinds of lenses and filters? (So I can get a digital camera that will do what the film cameras can do?).

No? Why not? I'll throw in a few slide-rules, a typewriter, a telephone with a dial, and an analogue cell phone. Heck, I'll even include a Commodore computer and an Intellivision game console with about a half dozen cartridges. Oh, and I may have an 8088 processor IBM XT with a 20 megabyte hard drive, but I'm not sure on that one.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Edit: Finally loaded the "last beer" pic. WTF is up lately with people pointing weapons at their pets/friends?! Learn some gun-handling rules before doing that again, I don't care how many times you checked the Goddamn thing. If that were me, I would have beat the **** out of you for that. It's not even remotely funny.
FunkyJunk, I completely agree with you that it is never right to point a firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy, I have been around firearms since I was 7 and have taken many safety and tactical training classes. This whole picture was a setup joke, the gun had it's entire bolt assembly taken out and fingers were never on the trigger. My friend holding the gun was not drinking nor was I. I NEVER BRING OUT FIREARMS IF I HAVE HAD EVEN 1 BEER! I'm not sure if you have been reading crappy posts that show people doing this in the wrong or are just having a bad day. If it bothers people that much I will take it down, but that is why I stated that the gun was made non-functional at the top of the post.
I hope this clears up any misconceptions you may have of me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I agree that the lack of contrast between the gun and the jacket leaves something be be desired. But the glare of the cartridges is pretty cool. Almost looks like it was done with a glare filter (I realize it wasn't). But it's an effect I would use if I had a digital camera that took filters and let me change lenses.
Thanks Delija. I was actually going for that smooth soft touch filter/glare old fashioned look but was having a bit of a hard time with all the different flash settings I can dail up on my camera. I will try and do some more with the same effect but with your guys advice on the contrast. If anyone has any clues on how to do this better my ears are open for suggestions.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Looks like spray paint on the XD. :shock:

Next time that lady comes over and sees your rifle and thinks "oh, there is that gun with no bolt in it, I have another try"................ :|

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Slaytex said:
. If anyone has any clues on how to do this better my ears are open for suggestions.
Thanks.
Different color jacket/background? (or is that too simple?)
No flash would help with contrast, but you'd lose the glare (probably). Maybe an indirect bright light would give you the flares and also not wash out the contrast between the gun and jacket.

My first job out of college was as assistant to the in-house photographer for a huge advertising agency. I watched him take over 1,000 photos of a Norelco razor for a magazine ad until he got it right. It was 100% trial and error.

He had a Polaroid back for a large format camera. I never even knew there was such a thing until I saw it.

As to the (more important) subject of gun safety and photography....It is very easy to criticize a photo taken from the business end of a gun. But the reality is that it is done all the time. If it's done responsibly, I don't see a problem. Anyone who has read my posts would know that my main concern (re: guns) is safety. But there is a place where art and guns can meet. Just yesterday I wrote the following post, which I think pretty clearly demonstrates how seriously I take gun safety. I actually have a major problem with the gun laws in Florida being far too lax in that anyone who is of age and has a clean criminal record can buy and own a gun with zero safety training. As a matter of fact, in Florida, you can get a CCW permit with virtually no safety training, which is appalling to me.

Fourth post down:http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=17549&start=15

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I completely agree. Actually I believe it should be manditory that everyone should have to take a safety course along with some form of other firearms training before they would be allowed to purchase a firearm (for the first time). It is everyone's right to be able to own a gun, yet when I see firearm related incidents a lot of the time it is due to negligence.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I don't see any pictures

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I just built a light box and here are some photos from it.

Springfield Armory XD9 Service - Bitone

• Powder River Precission Match Target Trigger Kit @ 3.5 #s.
  • Powder River Precission Easy Fit Overtravel Stop.
  • Wolff Guide Rod 21# Spring.
  • Internal Polishing.
  • Insight M6 Laser/Light
  • Grip Tape

Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm - 3.5" Barrel

• Completely Stock.

Rock River Arms Entry Tactical AR15

• Rock River Arms Free Float Quad Rail.
  • Eotech 512 AA.
  • Tango Down Forward Grip.
  • Magpul Window 30 round Magazines.
  • Lots of stuff on the way !! :mrgreen: