Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time gun owner after having been to the range a few times with friends that shoot often.

I saw an awesome deal on the XD essentials package and was about to order online when my local FFL mentioned that he would match/beat that price. Got the 4" service model essential package for $400 out the door when the online price would have been $378+12(shipping)+$30 for FFL charge. Extremely happy with it. Also just sent in my Gear'd up promo for the extra mags.

I took the pistol to the range last night and put 2 boxes of Remington UMC ammo through her. I noticed one of the rounds had a messed up primer, so I didn't even load that one.

The first mag was from 7 yards and the first two shots completely missed the target. :oops: I had shot my friend's XD (5") before but that had aftermarket sights and he told me that it was set to shoot right above the dot so that's how I was aiming my new XD...but I noticed that I was shooting way low. I then started putting my target right on the dot and was shooting better. Half way through the first box, I started getting the hang of it, so I started getting better groupings but was still not pleased. I still felt that I was doing something wrong. The second box was shot from 10 and 15 yards and believe it or not, I had the same if not better groupings from that range. Not sure how to explain that one. :-?

Sorry for the long post. Just excited about my first gun and the new XD. I plan to give her a through cleaning since I didn't get to last night.

Please let me know if you have any tips on accuracy or maintenance.

Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Congrats!! welcome from va and remember just practice practice and practice some more. Dry firing is always highly recommended that way you'll see you your flinching or anything like that. well be safe and again welcome to a great hobby/sport. your pockets will now be taking a beating for the next 50 years

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome. With enough practice, you will soon put a box of 50 into the same ragged 3" hole. ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a tip for you. I learned this from a firearms instructor - your grip. Make sure you have a 40% grip with your firing hand and 60% grip with your support hand. A good grip will bring your shots to within an inch or so at ten yards quickly. For cleaning inside and out, including the bore, you can't go wrong using Break Free CLP or Tetra Gun CLP. Enjoy your pistol, you have picked top of the line.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum from Colorado

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I would suggest you practice with it stock until you get repeatable results at 5m, 10m, 25m. Once you establish your capabilities with a stock gun, then you can consider making changes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I just went to Walmart and picked up some cleaning cloths and CLP. Also picked up a few boxes of Federal ammo, which I assume is fine since it's brass casings but noticed that they had some cheaper ammo called TulAmmo which I believe is steel casing.

Has anyone tried using it? A quick search shows that it's somewhat "dirtier", but I don't see too many complaints beyond that. I don't mind paying a buck more for quality but if it's all the same, then why spend more?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I believe steel casings are harder on your gun since it is a harder metal but I have never used them. I usually use the Federals. I have tried the Winchesters and they are definitely dirtier than the Federals.

Thanks. I just went to Walmart and picked up some cleaning cloths and CLP. Also picked up a few boxes of Federal ammo, which I assume is fine since it's brass casings but noticed that they had some cheaper ammo called TulAmmo which I believe is steel casing.

Has anyone tried using it? A quick search shows that it's somewhat "dirtier", but I don't see too many complaints beyond that. I don't mind paying a buck more for quality but if it's all the same, then why spend more?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana!

Lordy, I love me some Government Cheese. Unfortunately none of my peeps are poor enough to have access to it.

·
Premium Member
24,710 Posts
hello

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does Springfield sell their XD Speed loader separately?

*edit* Just found my own answer...yes. $19 seems a little steep though and they want $34 for their XD holster. I think I'll go with Blackhawk Serpa.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Put another 150 rounds through her today after picking up some ammo from Dick's (sale on remington 115gr 9mm for $9.99). I wish i had bought more boxes.

Got my 7 yard groupings to be fairly decent other than the occasional strays, but my 10 yard needs a lot of work. All over a 8" target. :oops:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts