Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I have been looking up the process to make a kydex holster for my xds.

I have looked at a few different ways, some more expensive, some less. I think I could make one but I want to know if any of you guys have made one for your xds and if you have what type did you make.

I have been coming up with different plans. From a taco holster iwb to a pancake iwb.

Any comments are appreciated. :cool:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Two options if you don't want to make it yourself:

For a hybrid style, try firearmholster.com

For kydex only, try veilsolutions.com

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at many holsters to buy and checked out ur link. I have had my eyes on the Vedder rapid tuck.

I like to have gun related projects to do so I researched how to build kydex holsters and wanted too see if any one here made them for their xds.

Knife kits has a bunch of good stuff but I'm not sure how many kydex things I'd make so idk if I want to invest in making a press ect. Saw on a forum of a guy using a space bag to vaccuum form kydex around the gun. Thinking I may try that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
just my opinion ... but by the time you get the supplies try it once or twice before you get it right. you could have bought an alien or a old faithful kit ... an old faithful kit is quite inexpensive and i have been carrying mine for over a year...
it is like an old pair of underwear...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill check those out. So they are comfortable then haha. Cause old under ware are always nice and comfortable lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I havn't made one for my xds but I have made plenty of others. Taco style are easier to pull off, you don't need screws and what not.
The space bags don't work so well, pressing is a lot better. I cut off the end of the wife's yoga mat (not recommended) and put the heated kydex between two layers of that. The foam from the mat is dense enough to give good definition.
Lately I've been making MIC style trigger guard holsters. They are easy and don't need much material.

Here is a little pocket holster I made for a bodyguard too

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JPhoenix those trigger guard holsters look nice. Interesting that you don't use screws or rivets for the taco holster. Could you explain how you did it?

I did see a forum where a guy folded an edge over another and just pressed it so it made a nice crease to hook the two ends together.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have carried both my Raven Phantom and my Kestrel holster IWB. My Raven is a two piece pancake style and my Kestrel is a taco style. My Raven is barely tolerable IWB because of the molding on the back side. I would strongly recommend if you do a pancake style kydex holster for IWB that you put as much molding on the front piece as possible. My Kestrel has just as much molding as my Raven on the back side, but the main difference is that there are no hard wings pulling the molding in to my side. In fact I wear my Kestrel IWB at 3:00. I could only wear my Raven about 4:30. Needless to say my Raven is set up to be OWB only as I have much more comfortable holsters for IWB.

Although to be fair my Raven is molded for my XDsc and my Kestrel is molded for my XDs. The extra thickness on my Raven only makes the molding dig into my side even more when I did carry it IWB. If you do build your own holster, just take your time. My brother is trying this as well but decided not to use kydex but rather used a sheet of thermoplastic because it is cheaper. Low quality materials leads to low quality holsters...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IWB holsters don't really need them the tension from your belt keeps them closed around the gun.

This something that I was thinking up. Yes that is true the kydex is tough already and with the belt it would retain it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have carried both my Raven Phantom and my Kestrel holster IWB. My Raven is a two piece pancake style and my Kestrel is a taco style. My Raven is barely tolerable IWB because of the molding on the back side. I would strongly recommend if you do a pancake style kydex holster for IWB that you put as much molding on the front piece as possible. My Kestrel has just as much molding as my Raven on the back side, but the main difference is that there are no hard wings pulling the molding in to my side. In fact I wear my Kestrel IWB at 3:00. I could only wear my Raven about 4:30. Needless to say my Raven is set up to be OWB only as I have much more comfortable holsters for IWB.

Although to be fair my Raven is molded for my XDsc and my Kestrel is molded for my XDs. The extra thickness on my Raven only makes the molding dig into my side even more when I did carry it IWB. If you do build your own holster, just take your time. My brother is trying this as well but decided not to use kydex but rather used a sheet of thermoplastic because it is cheaper. Low quality materials leads to low quality holsters...
This is exactly what I have been thinking. The holsters with the very deep molding on the back looks like that would just be plain old uncomfortable and hurt. I have looked and you can get a 8x12 inch sheet of kydex for 5-10 bucks depending on where you buy it and the color obviously some colors get up there in price.

I have also looked at a kestrel holster to buy. Most kydex holsters I find are for the 3.3 version however there are companies that make them. I am just impatient to wait.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I make my own. All kydex and hybrids. Doesnt take long. Cost me about $15 on average for one with leather, metal belt clips, chicago screws. Etc.
Speedster00 that is a great price. Could you explain what supplies or methods you use a little more in depth. If you would it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I made these for my Shield, both work well and were easy to make. I used a heat gun and some foam and plywood to press to

Reactions: UGADawgs

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the link UGADawgs

Reactions: UGADawgs

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tuscon dirt. Those look good! Both of those are something that I would like to make. Is that a Chicago screw you used?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Thanks for the link UGADawgs
This is the link to the link on my Kestrel holster. I done a quick ebay search for holsters for the XDs 4.0 and found several for under $40. In fact I found one for the same price as I got my Kestrel. I know there is a great deal of satisfaction in making something yourself and being able to customize it to your liking but $30 for a holster is hard to beat... :) Especially when it shipped in less five days... :) Good luck in your project.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the link to the link on my Kestrel holster. I done a quick ebay search for holsters for the XDs 4.0 and found several for under $40. In fact I found one for the same price as I got my Kestrel. I know there is a great deal of satisfaction in making something yourself and being able to customize it to your liking but $30 for a holster is hard to beat... :) Especially when it shipped in less five days... :) Good luck in your project.
Yes it really is hard to beat 30 dollars shipped lol. Maybe ill just leave my projects for other things and Just spend the 30 bucks on the kestrel. I can live with Five days shipped that is fast. Also I found a store called frontline holsters on ebay I might give them a shot.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Tuscon dirt. Those look good! Both of those are something that I would like to make. Is that a Chicago screw you used?
Yes I got some black Chicago screws on eBay. Made both holsters for maybe $25.
I like both but I use the IWB more.

I have to admit I spent a while on the first one but the second (OWB) went pretty quick. Buying one pre-made for $30 or so is not a bad deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts