Springfield XD Forum banner

Poll: Do You Believe in God, Supreme Being, Higher Power or Diety?

• No - Athiest, I do not believe God, a Supreme Being, Higher Power or Diety exists

• Maybe - Agnostic, I do not know whether or not God, a Supreme Being, Higher Power or Diety exists

• Yes - Believer, I believe God exists, but I do not belong to a formal Faith or Religion

• Yes - Believer, I believe God exists, and belong to a formal Faith or Religion

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read many of the threads here dealing with God, His existence or non-existence, Separation of Church and State (which, BTW, appears nowhere in our Constitution or Bill of Rights), and the like. I have always stayed out of these discussions because they normally go nowhere, and only serve to raise the participants' hackles.

I would like to do something a bit different, but still related to the topic of Belief or Non-Belief in God.

I am asking you to take the following poll, and then post only your age and the poll selection you made.

Please, this poll is not about what Faith you may belong to or not belong to. It is not about what is the one, true Faith. This poll is not about proof or disproof of the existence of God.

Nor is this poll about what your views are regarding the 1st Amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
This poll is simply to get an overall sense of the beliefs of us XDTalk members, and then to look at the data and see if there is any association of belief/disbelief with age.

Thanks for participating!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
21 - No religion

I voted no...I'm not atheist, however. I don't even call myself Agnostic. I just really don't care, people can throw me in whatever religious group makes them feel better, I don't mind.

It's not that I don't know what sort of God I need to worship, more that I don't find the need to believe in a supreme being. I can go about my life not knowing where we came from, how the universe began, and so on. Those are just questions that I don't need answered at this point in my life.

If I HAD to say I believed in a supreme being, I would say I'm Christian...however you will NEVER get me to go to church just to go, and you'll NEVER see me praying.

To quote Freud: "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I guess it's a formal 'religion'. Dang I hate that word...

My church is non-denominational.

Yep, I'm one of those guys that some of you love to hate. Bible believing evangelistic follower of Christ.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
28, agnostic. But I still believe that this country was founded on Christian beliefs, and therefore should remain a part of it. The Pledge of Allegiance, on currency, Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
I guess it's a formal 'religion'. Dang I hate that word...

My church is non-denominational.

Yep, I'm one of those guys that some of you love to hate. Bible believing evangelistic follower of Christ.
Same here, only diff being I am 39.

·
Super Moderator
46,389 Posts
38--- yes! God has not abandoned us.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
36 believer,,Catholic but not happy about that
Not happy about being Catholic or not happy about being a 'believer'?

·
Super Moderator
46,389 Posts
"Abandon" means he/she was once here. Will save that discussion for another time...

He was, and is, and is to come... But we can save that discussion for another time...;)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
50, believer, belong to a mainline church, but I believe you need to study and develop your own understanding of the scripture rather than take someone else's word for it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
30. I do not believe in God, Allah, Budha, or any other higher being.

But I have read the Bible the equivalance of 2 or 3 times. I was raised a Lutheran from 5 - 16 and went to church every Wednesday night and Sunday for at least 10 years and then experienced some time witnessing the Watchtower Society (Jehovah's Witness) from the inside.

Needless to say, I believe my athiesm is a well educated choice. But to each his own. I don't push my views onto anybody and I don't appreciate anybody pushing their views onto me. Faith is a mysterious thing.

·
Registered
641 Posts
30, i do not believe in any god. we live, we die, we push up daisies.

why must humans think themselves sooooooo special out of the bazillions of evolved creatures? life can be just as meaningful w/o believing there's a wizard behind the scenes that will give us eternal life if we give him our money & prayers. largely, it's geographically based beliefs passed down generation to generation. i have no issue w/ people believing whatever they want or hoping for something special afterlife if it helps them sleep at night & deal w/ their mortality. eventually, it will come to pass like the once held belief that the world is flat..

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You know, I've seen this 4'x8' paint plywood sign for many years now and it states "He coming" with some other stuff on it, the paints even starting to chip off and fade.. well.. I'm still waiting...

1 - 20 of 125 Posts