Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the few topics on polishing the barrel and I want to do it to my XD9 SC, but before I do so I need to know some things.
For one, is it better to use a blue remover, or to simply sand off the blueing?
Secondly, once the process is complete, will the barrel now be more exposed to rusting? Will I need to constantly keep the barrel oiled afterwards?
I'm just unsure of removing the barrel's coating, like I'm exposing myself to more upkeep.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I was about to ask the EXACT same questions.
The other thing I would worry about is causing the pistol to malfuntion.

Let's hear it from the people who have done this and had it done for more than a month :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I definitely want to hear it from someone who has already completed this mod and has used the pistol for a few weeks.
I don't believe it will effect the performance of the pistol at all, and hopefully it will just mean having to rub a little oil over the exposed metal every now and then to prevent rusting... but we'll see what the elder peeps have to say.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Using a blue remover makes the whole job go quicker, as all you have to do after using it is to polish the barrel to the desired gloss.

Just realize that the blue remover is a mild acid and should not be left on the metal any longer than necessary.

I'd use a Q-tip to swab it on, then rinse it off.

R

·
0 Posts
I have just recently polished my barrel.

I started with blue remover and it completely removed it off the breech, but not the barrell it self.

I would HIGHLY recomend NOT using sand paper , because it leave tiny grooves that will eventually rust.

The best thing to do is use a dremel with a felt wheel and some white rouge from your local home depot store (in hardware).

As for shooting the gun i have notice thagt it actually performs better as a cause of the breech being so smooth i can really tell that it moves alot smoother.

Now for the cleaning part i use some little towelettes used for cleaning and lubricating on the barrell.

Its been working great i left it in my truck for a week in the Texas HEAT and humidity and not a sign of rust.

any other questions just let me know

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hmmm...sounds good so far. I think I'm going to polish my barrel too! I am going to leave the breech alone though.
I have a XD-9 Sub and Lasermax will soon be releasing an internal laser for the subs so their is no point in going through the extra effort as the breech will be replaced by the laser

·
Registered
171 Posts

I did that with 180 grit sandpaper and no type of polishing afterwards except regular gun oil. I did go over it again the next day with some 320 grit and it did remove remove all of the small lines you can see on the block. I didn't take pictures afterwards but I will so you can see the difference and get them up for you guys. I've had this done for over a month maybe two and with regular solvents and gun oils you will not have a problem, or atleast I don't anyways.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow, I remember that thread. I think your process is just fine though if you ask me. Mine took about and hour or so. Correction though, that sandpaper I used in my pictures above was 150 grit, not 180.

I was bored tonight after reading this thread and had already asked my friend to look for some sandpaper at work. Anyways, he brought some 400 grit to me this afternoon and I went back over it for about 20 minutes or so. So I stepped up from 150 grit to 320 grit, then to 400 tonight. Now it looks flawless. I've already drained the batterys from my tv remotes etc. so I'll get some more tomorow and post up the pictures. It looks much much nicer than the ones above.

However, you do not have to use any type of blueing removal chemical if you do not want to. It does shave 10-20 minutes off though if you have the extra $3.50 to spare. We did my buddys Berreta tonight also, we just used the de-bluer, and started with the 400 grit. I think it would have been done a little faster though if he had statrted with the 150 grit first, and then to the 400. Either way, it came out just as nice as mine.

Good luck guys and make sure to get some pictures up of the finished products and possible tips.

I also polished some off the small parts like the trigger, grip safety, slide release, disassembly lever and pins. Tip: using blue remover is a waste of time when doing parts this small. The parts are stripped bare in seconds with little pressure applied. I can't wait to show you guys! Oh and also, if you are planning on doing the small parts or some, go to...

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html

It's all there and to be honest not all that complicated. This was my first time to break any gun down past field stripping. All you need is a 3/32 punch and you can have the gun completely naked in 5 minutes. I took my time breaking it down so I would know where everything went back of course, but now that I know, I could probably break it down in 1-2 minutes if I pushed it, maybe even faster. Putting it back together takes more time though, LOL. :D The gun looks great though and thats what made it worth it.

·
Premium Member
21,383 Posts
well i jumped on the bandwagon today polished up my subs barrel and guide rod end up used the dremmel tools and some lapping compound brass brush and some oil wow , big improvement thanks forthe tips oh i also did my slide release , and disassembley lever, my wife when i showed her said oh where did yu getthe new gun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts