Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any pics of how to do this properly?
how necessary is it???

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i can't look at something for reference i get things backwards sometimes
prolly from all them years puttin together model cars :wink:

·
Registered
125 Posts
He's got a butt load of pictures for assembly and dis-assembly. I'm not sure but there might be something in there about the feed ramp. I know from asking around about it myself, you want to make sure you don't overdo it. Could cause problems.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
anyone have any pics of how to do this properly?
how necessary is it???
Mine came polished.....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
From my understanding, the important thing is not to remove any metal... A buffing wheel and an abrasive cleaner.. like brasso or whatever your favorite is would probably be fine...

I wonder why you want to do this? The feed ramp on my pistol is kind of polishing itself! The more I shoot it, the shinier it becomes.

Good luck, and post pics..

Raymond

·
Registered
387 Posts
The feed ramp and and chamber on my XD-9 is polished so well it looks like a mirror.

All of the newer XD pistols I have seen recently are just like mine.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
With regards to the SA XDs, there is absolutely no reason to polish the feedramp, hood, or throat unless you are having problems. This procedure is a requirement however in less reliable guns, the Kel Tec P-3AT .380 is one example. It does make a difference in terms of reliability. Easy enough to do with a Dremel, felt tip, and polishing compound.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i haven't had any failures knock on wood....just thinkin about doin some preventive maintenance

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here are my before & after pics. I apologize for the poor quality.

I was having trouble feeding gold dots where the nose would stick on the ramp and jam the slide. A sharp blow to the back of the slide would usually get it to feed. I could duplicate almost 100% of the time if I dropped the slide slowly by hand (otherwise it was only every few mags).

So I tried to polish with a dremel and polising compound. This did not work well because the tooling marks were a little to deep to remove with the polishing wheel. So I changes tactics.

So I used 600 grit wet abrasvie wrapped on a dowel to remove the majority of the tooling marks on the ramp. This was used inline with the bore (90degrees to the tooling marks) and I took care not to remove material where the ramp meets the chamber.
I followed with the dremel polishing bits and then a polishing wheel with polishing compound.

Now the ramp is polished like a mirror and no matter how slow I drop the slide it feeds 100% of the time and have had no feed failures since.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
i haven't had any failures knock on wood....just thinkin about doin some preventive maintenance
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is what i was thinkin....dont break it tryin to fix somethin that isnt broken
somethin like that

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Really you dont even need to remove the tooling marks, polishing with a felt wheel and rouge will make it look like a mirror which is normaly sufficient. I would not use sandpaper in my chamber, this can open up the chamber dimensions and could lead to higher pressures and ruin accuracy. Match chambers are very tight for a reason, you have to have find a compromise between function and performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts