Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a bunch of bad reloads, and I want to pull all of the bullets, dump the powder and reload them again. Before I reload them, I want to polish up the cases in my tumblers. Is it safe to polish brass in a tumbler with unfired primers loaded in them?

Ken

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
So, I've got a bunch of bad reloads, and I want to pull all of the bullets, dump the powder and reload them again. Before I reload them, I want to polish up the cases in my tumblers. Is it safe to polish brass in a tumbler with unfired primers loaded in them?

Ken
Bad move. The media is likely to get trapped in the flash hole making for unrealiable ignition or no ignition. You don't need to polish the brass after you've pulled the bullets. You'll have to resize the cases w/o the decapping pin to get proper bullet tension. Pulling the bullets does slightly stretch the case mouth. If you really feel the need, you can tumble the loaded ammo, but I don't like that either. it's not about how pretty the ammo is, but is it clean, then shoot it.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Naw, go ahead, reload 'em and head to the range. Shoot 'em all up then clean/polish 'em and do it again (without the bad loads)!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Bad move. The media is likely to get trapped in the flash hole making for unrealiable ignition or no ignition. You don't need to polish the brass after you've pulled the bullets. You'll have to resize the cases w/o the decapping pin to get proper bullet tension. Pulling the bullets does slightly stretch the case mouth. If you really feel the need, you can tumble the loaded ammo, but I don't like that either. it's not about how pretty the ammo is, but is it clean, then shoot it.
+1

If the ammo has some corrosion on the brass or is in some condition that makes you concerned...by all means tumble it before you pull it apart. However, you can't/shouldn't tumble it once it has been pulled for a couple reasons. You have primed brass with nothing between the primer and the media you are tumbling in. Not only will media (corncob, walnut, etc.) get stuck in the flash hole and cause potentially unsafe conditions once you reload those cases, it is possible that your media could ruin the primers just by virtue of the oil that gets into the media and any polishing compound, etc. that you may have in the media.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a similar question about rifle brass. When do you guys remove the lube? Before you prime? I don't know when else you would do it.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I had a similar question about rifle brass. When do you guys remove the lube? Before you prime? I don't know when else you would do it.
I wipe down the cases with a rag after sizing. I'm using a single-stage press.

I've also re-tumbled them after wiping, which polishes and cleans them, though I'm not sure what lube on the tumbling media (corncob in my case) will do for the effectiveness and life of that media.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts