Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so are you bored off your duff and want to spice up your xd but you have a suck ass job taht doesnt pay much? if so go to walmart and near teh automotive paint section look for these---

they are 800 grit, 1000 grit, and 1500 grit automotive sandpaper. theyr are $2.97 each and they come with more than plenty to do teh job.

next buy some cameo aluminum and stainless steel cleaner in the cleaning chemicals alise of teh grociery department of walmart, $.97

ok now go home, find a flat work station, and you will need a old shop rag or old sock, a small finger bowl of hot water, the things you just bought at walmart, gun oil, and muscles.

ok now start off by tearing a strip of about 2in X 4 in off each type of sand paper. start with teh 800 and work your way to the 1500.

fold teh sandpaper in half and wrap it around teh barrel and lightly twist it back and forth like a bolt and nut. do this to get teh majority of teh black off. then move to the box thingy and lightly sand off teh black paint.

do this with teh 800, then 100, then 1500. each time you will notice your barrel getting shinier. NOTICE you cannot remove all of teh black with teh sand paper so do try! just get the majority of it off.

now once you are satisfied with that. bust out with some cameo, sock or rag, and a finger bowl of hot water.

pour a pile of cameo about the size of a quarter on a work mat and put teh sock or rag over your hand.

now dip your covered finger in teh hot water and then poke it into teh pile of cameo. start scrubbing back and forth on teh barrel. this will clean out those hard to reach pores. you will notice black gunk developing. dont be afraid to use teh cameo. use alot if you have to. dont go to little.

keep polishing it with cameo until you are happy with the results. when you get teh results you desire, wash off your barrel in hot water and immediately dry it and apply oil all over the barrel, because you will find out teh rust can develop within 2 minutes if left wet.

and to show everyone you play tennis......

anyway thast how you can polish your barrel or any part of your gun for taht matter, for less than $10! enjoy!

*disclaimer- these are MY results. if you screw up your gun from my directions its on you not me.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
brandon14295 said:
lol, wow. anyone?
While the whole messy project seemed pretty appealing overall, it was this part that got me really enthusiastic about the project:

brandon14295 said:
will find out teh rust can develop within 2 minutes .
Peace,
D.

·
Registered
231 Posts
While the whole messy project seemed pretty appealing overall, it was this part that got me really enthusiastic about the project:
D,
I polished mine 3 months ago (different method) and applied Eezox afterward, and no rust so far...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used blue remover, then a dremil polish pad to do mine.

easy. Only once have I had any rust, that was when I didn't shoot or reoil it after carrying it for about two weeks staight. I must have been really sweaty b/c it hasn't happened since. I quick hit with the dremil fixed that.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
garyk said:
D,
I polished mine 3 months ago (different method) and applied Eezox afterward, and no rust so far...
Actually, I was only trying to be amusing. I know if you keep care of a polished barrel it shouldn't rust.

While I do prefer the look of the polished barrel, and especially the hood, I just haven't thought it important enough to get involved with. But it's entirely possible that someday I will be "bored enough" and get around to it.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Doesn't this remove the protective finish that keeps rust from forming? Yeah, I know...no jokes about the XD finish but seriously...

brad cook

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I prefer sanding the exposed part of the barrel down with a power sander with 1000 grit and taking some jewelers and white rouge after all of the metal imperfections are smoothed out. MIRROR finish there

·
Registered
214 Posts
NExd said:
I prefer sanding the exposed part of the barrel down with a power sander with 1000 grit and taking some jewelers and white rouge after all of the metal imperfections are smoothed out. MIRROR finish there

Picture? please? been considering same plan of attack. i think that would look awesome with my stainless slide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No offense, but polishing off the finish from your gun may look cool, but all in all is just about the dumbest thing i have ever heard. They put that finish on there for a reason. Its called RUST! A natural process that mankind has spent centuries trying to avoid. A word of advice...
two actually - If you want the barrel to shine through the ejection port, BUY A STAINLESS STEEL AFTERMARKET BARREL. Secondly, don't waste space on this forum posting a process that a two year old child could figure out in his sleep!! :evil:

·
Registered
31 Posts
scorpion81 said:
No offense, but polishing off the finish from your gun may look cool, but all in all is just about the dumbest thing i have ever heard. They put that finish on there for a reason. Its called RUST! A natural process that mankind has spent centuries trying to avoid. A word of advice...
two actually - If you want the barrel to shine through the ejection port, BUY A STAINLESS STEEL AFTERMARKET BARREL. Secondly, don't waste space on this forum posting a process that a two year old child could figure out in his sleep!! :evil:
dude, he took the time to explain and post pictures of soemthing he did and is proud of, its fine to state reasons as to why not to do it. and its fine to not want to do it yourself.

But it is NOT fine to sit and tell someone that they are WASTING space on a forum, thats what forums are for!
go ahead, post up, we dont have limited space here. I read this board for information and ideas, no matter how easy this process may be to you, other people on the board have the right to see that information for themselves

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Scorpion, in case you were too busy playing in sewage....

A lot of people have taken the finish off their barrel here, and not many have had any rust issues to speak of.

He's outlining how to do something that a few other members have done and are happy with.

Maybe you should spend a little more time around here before mud-slinging with the best of us.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice post Brandon!

I happened to have some 1000 and 2000 grit paper around, some
Naval Jelly (removes blue), and Mothers metal polish. I'll post some pics
if anyone is interested. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is an old picture of my polished barrel (with my old crappy camera):

I have never had any rust whatsoever on the polished area, while I have had small amounts of rust on the slide.

·
Registered
401 Posts
What if you hard chromed the barrel? Wouldnt that look good and do away with any rusting? The chrome wouldnt affect fit would it?
mulder

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Arrowman said:
NExd said:

Picture? please? been considering same plan of attack. i think that would look awesome with my stainless slide.
I just did the exposed part of the barrel since is was wearing anyways. One guy did his whole slide and ended up selling it. I wouldnt recommend that, spend the money for the hard chrome. As for the barrel, no rust in 8 months on the barrel

This is the best picture I have available

scorpion81 said:
Why buy a new barrel when I can do the same thing with common tools? I have had my barrel with no finish on the ejection port for 6 months without rust. Looks a hell lot better than scratched finish

1 - 20 of 39 Posts