Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using dried corncob media in my tumbler. While it does a fairly good job, it tends to leave the brass with a sort of dull film on it.

I've read here that using polish along w/ the media will shine up the brass.

Q: Does that shine make the sizing process easier, esp. for handgun brass? I ran some 9mm brass today, and the sizing process (carbide sizing die) was...difficult. I used a bit of sizing lube from time to time to loosen it up a bit, but it made me wonder if polished brass would work better.

Q2: What's the best kind to use, and how much do you use?

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I've been using dried corncob media in my tumbler. While it does a fairly good job, it tends to leave the brass with a sort of dull film on it.

I've read here that using polish along w/ the media will shine up the brass.

Q: Does that shine make the sizing process easier, esp. for handgun brass? I ran some 9mm brass today, and the sizing process (carbide sizing die) was...difficult. I used a bit of sizing lube from time to time to loosen it up a bit, but it made me wonder if polished brass would work better.

Q2: What's the best kind to use, and how much do you use?
I've never tried the corncob, I use the walnut with "Champion's Brand" "Ultra-60", I don't know if this stuff is still available. (Check your local gunshop). It only takes about a teaspoonful to add a shine to about 2,000 rounds. When the walnut starts getting really dirty and I notice that the brass is taking more than 90 minutes, pour it in the garbage, not on the ground (no use taking a chance on it's affect on animals or children).
I think that you'll get some sticking on any straight wall brass, I certainly do. Keep your stroke as even, but firm in both the down and up stroke, as possible. The sticking nuisance will happen but it seems to either subside or I just have gotten too use to it to let it bother me.

P.S. I've tried the lube too, you'll need to disassemble to clean it off of the dies eventually.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Pour a capful or two of NuFinish car polish into that corn cob media and let the tumbler run for a few minutes, in order to thorougly mix the polish with the media. You'll be delighted with the results!!!

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I use a few different types of media, often times mixing them. I use the corn cob, walnut, and white rice. I find that mixing them cleans brass better (maybe the different textures at one, i don't know).

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It has been my experience that Walnut media does a much better job of cleaning brass, while the corncob media does a better job of polishing brass. I use corncob media with a Iosso (or Frankford Arsenal or the lyman stuff...it is all the same) case polishing compound added to the media. It works great.

·
Premium Member
127,076 Posts
I use Dillon Rapid Polish 290 with a 50/50 mix of corncob and walnut media.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Another vote for NuFinish ... Also, when the time comes to replace your media ... Try crushed walnut shell from the pet store, it's way cheaper.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I use rice and 1 tsp, white car polishing compound.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pour a capful or two of NuFinish car polish into that corn cob media and let the tumbler run for a few minutes, in order to thorougly mix the polish with the media. You'll be delighted with the results!!!
I went out this pm and bought a bottle of NuFinish. You're right, it's amazing what it does.

Only question I have--and it works darned well--is whether I should add more every time I put a new batch of brass in the tumbler.

Nice looking brass, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Has anyone seen any adverse effects from the nu-finish? reaction to one shot, cake up in the dye, reaction to gun oil when shooting?

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I went out this pm and bought a bottle of NuFinish. You're right, it's amazing what it does.

Only question I have--and it works darned well--is whether I should add more every time I put a new batch of brass in the tumbler.

Nice looking brass, that's for sure.
No, you don't have to add polish for several more batches of brass. If the time required to clean and polish the brass begins to lengthen sustantially, then add a little more NuFinish. The treated cc media lasts a long time! To answer the other part of your question, yes, I believe the NuFinish-polished cases to work better in my carbide sizing dies than do some other polishing agents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts