Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our department (Large, Slow, Bureaucratic Machine) just added the XDM 4.5 .40S&W to our approved handgun list. Being skeptical I waited awhile and rented one... Needless to say me and several of my colleagues traded a couple of guns promptly and bought the XDM 4.5 to carry on duty. I am new to the XD(M) world.

The problem:
I have been searching for sights that utilize the entire area from the rear sight dovetail to the back of the slide. My preferred night sight on my Glock 22 .40S&W was Warren Tactical with the strait eight configuration. The Warren Tactical sight made use of the entire area from the rear of dovetail all the way to the back of the rear of the slide. The stock Springfield sights do the exact same thing adding more sight radius (One of the reasons I went to the XDM 4.5). I just bought some Heine Ledge Strait Eights (Part number: 3685 w/tritium) but when I received them I found out they shorten the sight radius.

Questions:
Is the distance between the rear of the dovetail to the end of the slide the same distance between the XD and the XDM?

Who makes hard use (Duty Use) night sights that utilize the entire distance (Giving more sight radius) and have a strait Eight configuration?
(willing to shoot a three dot system if I must... but, prefer Strait Eight with different color vials or the rear diminished)

Thanks In Advanced!

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I'm a fan of trijicon. I was issued my weapon in 2007. A glock 22, purchased by the department in 2000. I'm finally getting the sights replaced because they are fading...11 years later. They've been plenty durable for me. They are, however, the 3 dot system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cut my teeth on the Trijicon 3 dot system... Do the Trijicon HD's or any other Trijicon night sight setup run from the rear of the dovetail all the way to the rear of the slide (in order to maximize sight radius on the XDM 4.5)?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Looking at mine now...it does not run all the way to the back of the slide.probably 1/8" before the rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for checking for me! I am guessing by the early morning post I am not the only one working nights!

The Heinie's I just purchased has about an 1/8th of an inch difference as well. The measurable shooting difference in that 1/8 of an inch might not seem like a lot but, I want every advantage I can get. I am going to run those Heinie's for now until I find something better... Until then I have just about the same length of sight radius as my old Glock 22 with Warren Tac. sights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, will the Trijicon HD Rear Night sight run all of the way to the rear of the slide on the XDM 4.5? I noticed most of the sights on your website are installed on XDs. Awesome website by the way. Wish I would of found it sooner.

I will return these Heinie's right now... if the Trijicon HD's keep the same sight radius that I currently have on the gun.

Is the distance between the rear of the dovetail to the end of the slide the same distance between the XD and the XDM? Hard to find this spec out online... If I had the XD and the XDM I would compare real fast.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is the distance between the rear of the dovetail to the end of the slide the same distance between the XD and the XDM? Hard to find this spec out online... If I had the XD and the XDM I would compare real fast.
Mine is an XD-40... stock sights. Lemme know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help...placing an order right now and returning my previous purchase. It was more expensive jumping to the XDM (Extra money for gun, the new Duty Holster, the new Concealment Holster for plain clothes, Night Sights, Extra Magazines) but, well worth it...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks for the help...placing an order right now and returning my previous purchase. It was more expensive jumping to the XDM (Extra money for gun, the new Duty Holster, the new Concealment Holster for plain clothes, Night Sights, Extra Magazines) but, well worth it...

If you need more info try here..
www.dawsonprecision.com Home Page

1 - 12 of 12 Posts