Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been carrying an XD9 Service for some time. I bought a sub a month or so ago with the idea of carrying the smaller gun, but don't have night sights on it yet. I bought one of the Fist IWB ultra thin kydex holsters to carry the sub (nice rig).

I was shooting the sub this weekend. Ammo was my own mild handloads with 115 grain bullets (Rem FMJ and Montana Gold FMJ). I was surprised to note a lateral 4 inch point of impact shift between the two bullet brands at 50'; the powder charge and primer was the same; only the bullet brand varied and they were both round nose FMJ.

I've never seen this in any of my other guns (S&W 3953, Glock 19, XD Service and Tactical) and I have shot several thousand (maybe 15k) of this load. The Montana Gold bullets usually group better than the Remington, but at the same impact point. I've always found a vertical shift between different velocity loads or different bullet weights. But any lateral shift is generally minimal.

I need to do more testing to see how the shift is between my practice load and the carry load (either WW Ranger +P+ in 115 or 127).

Anyone else notice a large POI shift between different ammo in the Subcompact 9?

Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I shoot the sc with the fist kydex rig too... nice setup, isn't it?

I haven't really noticed any difference in my point of impact, no matter what brand of ammo I use. However, I do not reload and only shoot new american factory ammo.

I guess handloads would be different, but I would be more inclined to think the condition of the casings would have more effect on this, rather than the bullets (if they are identical). Your problem is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to get back to the range and try several kinds of ammo to see if this is really an issue. It sure seemed odd when it happened the first time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts