Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hot S. NM the best/most comfortable CCW carry for me appears to be in the pocket. (I usually wear loose cargo pants with big pockets). I don't like WB carries. 9mm is decided.

Now I have to ask you to put your non-Springfield predjuduces aside for a moment ;-)

I originally settled on a Kel-Tec P11, until I handled one in the store a few times. It's very popular, and very small. However, the DA pull on it is very long, and I judge, difficult to master. The pull has 2 elements, a long somewhat lighter pull that presumably cocks the hammer, and a shorter much harder pull that releases the hammer. Tough to master over several rapid shots, I suspect. Gunsmithing can improve the pull.

This concern led me to consider alternatives, and I concluded the XDsc is the best of them; excellent trigger pull, good safeties, looks more "serious"; only problems, rust, greater weight & double the price.

However, in another query about pocket holsters, I was advised the XDsc would weigh like a brick (5 oz heavier than the Kel, I think). Over a full day that might be a consideration.
Unfortunately in my small neck of the woods I am unable to borrow either weapon to test.

I have a couple of other 9mms, a Hi-Point which has a heavy but manageable DA pull and a Model 669 Ruger DA/SA - poor sights, with both of which I can shoot a 3" group from 7yd. So I'm familiar with a "hard" v.s light pull in a DA. I think the XDsc is the better weapon in terms of pull, & hence accuracy, but weight and size is an issue for pocket CCW.

I would appreciate some advice from those who pocket carry a weapon, and/or have experience with the two models cited, regarding the trade-off between the XDsc and P11.

Funding precludes one of each!

Thanks for your views, Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered the Kahr 9mm, but it has limited magazine capacity. For a pocket pistol, I don't have a convenient spare mag location, and even if I did, I'd prefer a larger reserve. The other possibility in the price/size range is the Taurus Millenium which has a history of cracked slides after 400-600 rounds.

Kel-Tec and Springfield are reputed to provide exceptional factory service (life-time gaurantees).

The Kahr has a good reputation - thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you are looking for an opinion:
I have no experience with the P11, but I do have an XD40SC, I just haven't tried carrying it in my pocket yet, picked it up Sunday, and don't know if I will carry it in my pocket.
As for pocket carry, I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT 380 in a DeSantis pocket holster everday, never leave the house without it. That works fine in jeans, it's thin, light, and for those in the stopping power cult 80gr Hydra-Shock = 70+% one shot stops, and on days I can get away with cargo pants (days I don't have to work), and it's too hot to ware an extra shirt to cover a IWB holster, I carry either a S&W38spl Airweight, or a Khar PM9 covert (9mm with long barrel and short grip) in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster that I saftypin in my pocket to make sure that it stay put if I have to draw.
I hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
chiming in about the Taurus and cracked slides, I agree. That is crappy, but taurus is very willing to replace parts on guns. They've also got lifetime repair/replacement warantees so a Millineum (spelling.. I know.) might not be a TERRIBLE choice. Since magazine size is an issue you probably don't care about them, but I have looked into North American Arms pistols for the use of a BUG before. They're ULTRA tiny. Check out the Guardian models. http://www.naaminis.com/index02.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks For the input - all food for thought.

Summary of choices

Kahr P9: 7+1, 17.7 OZ

NA Arms Guardian .380; 6+1, 18.7 unloaded

Kel-tec P11; 10.1 , 14oz, loaded mag 6 ox

Springfield XD3"; 10+1, 20.5 OZ

It looks to me as if the Kel-Tec has the weight advantage, the Springfield is the heaviest. My question really is: is the XD3" too heavy for pocket carry? (add 6 oz for mag).
Both have god capacity.

Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd say the XD is a bit large for pocket carry.

I carry a PPK in my pocket sometimes and it is heavy. Kinda weighs you down on that side. It is about the weight of my wife's XD9SC. I can't imagine carrying anything that heavy that is bulkier than my PPK.

The NAA looks like a good choice, as does the Kahr. I've heard horror stories about Kel-Tec. I'll also second the recommendation of a good snubnosed .38 revolver. Good luck.

-stunks

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I don't own any cargo pants but I think the biggest thing isn't weight but the width of the sc.Don't get me wrong it's all I carry and I carry every day.But if pocket is what your after single stack we be better.
Walther ppk
Bersa thunder Same as ppk just cheaper
Sig I think p229
They are all 380 but they make some nice pp rounds for them and are quite popular I look at a used taurus but it is basically the same as the XD-sc with a bad trigger
Or a small wheel gun :shock:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ah, the Bersa is a good recommendation. I have heard good things about them. Also good things about the SIG P232 (though it is ugly), and I really like my PPK, though it is a bit heavy. I usually carry it in a Galco IWB holster at 4:00, not always in my pocket.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had a P11. You CAN pocket carry it if you have large pockets, but I found I had a couple pockets it didn't fit in very well. It had been fluffed and buffed by the previous owner, and fed everything 100%. The trigger weight had all the Kel-Tec tweaks done to it, but I still never mastered that LONG DA pull it had. It was a decent gun, and did everything it claimed it would, but my brother-in-law wanted it more than I did, so I sold it to him.

I'm personally thinking about a Taurus snubby 5-shot .357 with an extra speed strip or two for a pocket carry gun.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
259 Posts
IMHO the XD SC is a bit too much for pocket carry, at least for me. It feels like a brick in my pocket. When I pocket carry I use a Kahr MK9 or a S&W Model 38.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
For pocket carry... I do live in sourthern New Mex. I use a S&W ladysmith .38. I really don't like pocket carry, i don't like the weight in my shorts..

For more substantial carry, which i usually do, IWB for my 1911 or SOB holster for micro 1911.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
A lightweight .38 revolver with a good pocket holster would be a very good choice if you must pocket carry.

bd

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
stunksinatl said:
I'd say the XD is a bit large for pocket carry.
I would guess just about all of us that own the XD Subs have at least gone as far as sticking them in a pocket (assuming we own cargo pants or pants with large enough pockets) to see how it fits.

The width of the gun really makes it impractical, but the weight seems even more of a factor IMO. The gun does pull down on a pair of pants. To dress around the gun...to wear pants that are over-sized and then to cinch a belt really tight to keep the pants from sagging may be effective, but if you are going to dress to the gun, might as well dress to an IWB holster.

The gun was not designed to be a deep concealment weapon. The double stack configuration makes the gun wide. It was designed as a service pistol and that's really what it is.

If they made an XD in a single stack, I would run to buy one.

I was surprised to read when we had a thread asking what changes/improvements we would like to see, the most common thing mentioned seemed to be the addition of .45 ACP and other large caliber XDs. For me, and I would guess for most (most of us MUST carry concealed) a more easily hidden XD would be of more interest than a bigger caliber.

The XD is a great gun in any caliber and any size. But it isn't a pocket gun and it isn't an ideal gun for concealed carry....at least not for people of average physical build.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might try a SmartCarry holster. It makes a Sig 239 managable, which is just a little bit smaller than an XD SC. It makes a snubbie just disapear.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
S&W 642

Its a great pocket/ankle/anywhere gun. It shoots .38 Special or +P

I dont know a police officer, and know very few permit holders that dont have one.

When I pack light its all I go with, when I carry my XD it rides right under it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My wife just purchased a Bersa Thunder, and that is one accurate little handgun.

Feels good in my hands too (I normally use the XD40 Service.) It holds 7+1. Double/Single. Safety with decocker. Slide is very snug (good fit). Price around $200 - $220.

It is thinner than our J-Frames, which makes it a good purse gun for her.

- Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts