Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody carry the XD 9 or 40 sub-compact in this manner? If so, do you use a Peirce Grip and does this affect printing, drawing the gun, comfort while carrying etc.

I am considering getting a compact Glock or XD for pocket carry but would like some info on the above.

Scott

·
Registered
293 Posts
I couldn't do it comfortably with my XD-9 Subcompact due it's width so I switched to a Kahr PM9 for just that reason.

Even the Kahr prints a bit if it's in my front pocket alone so I like to carry IWB whenever possible.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Yup!...I carry a P-32 in my front pocket. XD's are to damned big.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't have a sub-XD but I do carry a Glock 27 and I consider it too large for pocket carry. It can be done but its on the large/heavy side.... IMO

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
PoSSom, it'll almost definitely vary by state.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
In Nevada, concealed is concealed. Holster, fanny pack, pocket, backpack or hollowed out phone book (if you are willing to carry that way :shock: )

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I would never carry without a holster of some sort. I have read about someone pocket carrying smaller pistols and their pocket knife gets wedged into the trigger and *Bang*...hole in leg...or worse :oops:

·
Registered
415 Posts
hobocircus said:
In Nevada, concealed is concealed. Holster, fanny pack, pocket, backpack or hollowed out phone book (if you are willing to carry that way :shock: )
I never thought of that. Maybe I'll go get a thick Bible. I can just tell my friends that I was saved.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
nogoa
I never thought of that. Maybe I'll go get a thick Bible. I can just tell my friends that I was saved.
Please don't hollow out the Bible. I hope you are saved, that would be good news :D

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Ever hear of a S&W J-frame in .38 cal? That's
what 99% of pocket carriers carry. I KNOW!
Me do. Try it, you will like.

Ed

·
Registered
190 Posts
Personally I would never carry any kind of striker fired postol in my pocket. Something DAO maybe... Like a Kel-tec P3AT or P32.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wear bib overalls almost all the time. I carry an XD9 subcompact in the right front pocket and it rides in there very comfortably. No one can tell that there is a gun in that pocket. Nothing else is in there at the same time. Why would anyone have a pocket knife or even coins in the same pocket? All that would do is scratch up the finish on the gun. I've carried a full size 1911A1 and currently carry my CZ97B the same way. The end of the grip will be visible, so it's a carry while wearing a jacket thing on the bigger pistols. On the subcompact it's best not to have one in the pipe since there's no decocker. I also have the Pearce grip extensions and they have caused no problems getting the pistol out of my pocket in a hurry. They are plenty streamlined enough to slide right out of my pocket with no snags.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I sold my S&W 642 .38+P and went with the G26 due to a recent wave of violence in my area. The G26 is heavier than the 642, but the firepower is more than double! The 642 didn't draw attention b/c it has curves (not angles) and are easily read as part of your thigh. The Glock is blockier and heavier, but after a few years I realized that people really are not paying attention to what shapes are coming from your pockets. Let's face it, we live in a day of cell-phones, PDAs, over-stuffed wallets, large bundles of keys and whatever else you might toss into your pockets.

I've had run-ins with a number of LEOs (during unfortunate events) who never noticed any bulges in my pockets. If I told them I had a G26 in there, they'd say "Really? Well, as long as you don't pull it on me!" I chose the G26 b/c the grip length was shorter when I did a side-by-side comparison. The S&W .38 gave me lots of muzzle flash with SD ammo, a good amount of recoil, and accuracy only suitable for close contact. The G26 gives me less recoil, more power than the .38, and I can dump 11 rounds into an 8-1/2 by 11 sheet of paper at 40 feet. This is not a feat that I could replicate with the S&W J-frame. Of course, this is an apples to oranges comparison. The trigger on the Glock is much better for accurate shooting (the 642 having a 11-12 lb. trigger that even Wolff reduced springs couldn't alleviate). We're also talking about a semi-auto vs. a revolver which has some effect on recoil comparison. I chose the Glock over the XD-sub b/c of the grip length. I needed something for my pocket. The XD-sub just didn't work for me.

Please keep in ind that if you are going to pocket carry a double stack sub-compact, you'll need big pockets! I've always worn loose clothing, so this is not an issue for me. Most of the loose-fitting pants have large pockets. I have yet to find a pair of tight pants with huge pockets. Still, the pants would print the pistol more than ever. In Florida, where noone cares about your pocket's contents, and with my mode of dress, the G26 is the best gun for my pocket carry needs at the moment. I've been shooting for a loooong time, and I've had lots of guns over the years. I've also been to the SHOT Shows, fanatic's arsenals, basements of private collections, etc. and have seen everything under the sun. As much as I hate to admit it, the G26 is getting the job done in a manner that suits all my needs! It's not pretty, it's a toolbox!

B9

P.S. No matter WHAT you pocket carry, carry the pistol in it's own pocket, all by itself. No keys, no knives, no pens, etc.. Get a good pocket holster to break up the outline and cover the triger guard!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your quick responses. I did neglect to include in my post that I would be using a pocket holster and not just shoving the gun in my pocket. The safety issues notwithstanding, under my state law this would not be legal anyway.

Again I thank everyone for their opinions and responses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts