Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time down the road I will probably want a pocket gun for casual days. As much as I love my XDm 9mm compact, I will probably want something smaller to fit into my pocket.

I am partial to say get a revolver like a bodyguard 38 or the lcr. but I am very familiar with autos so im also thinking a sig p238, bodyguard 380, lcp, or sig p239.

for people who pocket carry occasionally or all the time, whats your personal experience and recommendation?

thanks! :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
My EDC is a Glock 23 but for pocket carry, an old school Colt Detective Special suits me just fine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one of my concerns about an auto for pocket carry is lint getting into the internals and maybe causing a jam. with a revolver its not an issue (i think), but is this a realistic concern with a pocket auto?

·
Registered
371 Posts
The sig p239 is a little big/heavy for most people to pocket carry, so you might want to try one at your lgs before buying. the sigp290 is the next size down but is again heavy enough that it flops quite a bit and I avoid carrying my in this fasion whenever possible.

I personally avoid pocket carry for several reasons. One being that pockets are absolutely filthy places. I am always surprised at what I find in my pockets. Add to that the sub par callibers and magazine capacities associated with most pocket autos. I hope that I never experience being involved in a shooting, but should I, I would definantly want more gun than the tiny 380s on the market ( no offense to anyone that carries one).

That said if one needs to carry a pocket gun due to work regulations, or a style of dress (any gun is better than no gun), I still believe that the snub nosed 357/38 offers some definant benifits. One being thier ability to be fired from within the pocket. They also resist lint and debris better than tiny autos, especially if the revolver has a shrouded hammer. Small autos that appear to excell in the pocket carry role are the Kahr pm/cm9, Keltec pf9, and if you handle the extra wieght, glock 26/27 or similar in other calibers, 357sig, 45gap. Best of luck, and let us know what you choose.

·
Registered
616 Posts
one of my concerns about an auto for pocket carry is lint getting into the internals and maybe causing a jam. with a revolver its not an issue (i think), but is this a realistic concern with a pocket auto?

I have a friend that carries the LCP on a daily basis. He keeps it in a pocket holster, and cleans it once a month just to be on the safe side. He's never had any issues with it getting too dirty.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts

Tiny amounts of dirt and lint will stop a revolver dead in its tracks alot quicker than a bottom feeder.

Google tests on revolvers and dirt. Some revolers can be made to lockup with nothing more than baby powder.

I took my P32 for a swim a couple years ago. Sand that got in the trunks pocket got everywhere in the gun. I took it to the range the next day and it was gritty. It fired all 3 mags of ammo I went swimming with.

A helpfull note. If your BUG is so light you forget you put it in the trunks, you might go swimming with it........

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tiny amounts of dirt and lint will stop a revolver dead in its tracks alot quicker than a bottom feeder.

Google tests on revolvers and dirt. Some revolers can be made to lockup with nothing more than baby powder.
Some good info that I had not previously heard. Thanks for posting. Guess I need to inspect the wife's Taurus 85 more often.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
HornedFrog, I highly recommend that you get to a shop which lets you rent-to-try, or hook up with friends who owns the pistol(s) you're interested in, and are willing to let you both try to carry them (in-holster, of-course!) as well as shoot them.

Concealment difference aside (what fits one person's needs well may not fit yours - i.e. a LC9 might be great for a guy who wears cargo pants/shorts all the time, but for someone in lighter/tighter dress clothing, that might not exactly be the best "pocket carry"), there's going to be differences in major switchgear, and how well one pistol or another fits one person's unique anatomy and preferences is only magnified when you start shrinking the physical dimensions of the firearm.

FWIW, I had a lot of fun searching for the right "pocket gun" for me. The process was much more entertaining than selecting my main carry pistol. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there are a few local ranges that offer the guns i'm looking at for rent and i have only shot a couple. i definitely plan on holding and shooting them all if i can get the chance. idk if they will let me see what its like in my pocket though! haha

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
After trying the S&W 642, too heavy and too think (cylinder)
Kahr PM9 - too heavy, too thick, too big, sights hung up on drawing
LCP with CTC - just right..

The LCP w/CTC wins in a High Noon Pocket Grabber...
Like it so much I had metal parts nickel-tefloned..

Comparison pics..

LCP vs 642.

LCP vs XD9sc.

LCP vs Sig P239.

Kahr PM9 vs Sig P239.

LCP vs Kahr PM9.

I vote for the LCP..:cool:

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I have pocket holsters for my XD9SC, Beretta Tomcat, and NAA .22lr mini-revolver.

I pocket carry the XD9SC in cargo pockets. I have a wallet holster for the Tomcat, which I carry in a back pocket. The NAA is in a little pocket holster that also has an ammo pouch, in my front pocket. The NAA mini is the only one that I only pocket carry, and I always have it in my pocket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts