Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: I ordered the CM9 today from GrabAGun. It's at a price that can't be beat! I used to have a PM9, and the CM9 is just such a better deal.

Now that the weather's warming up I've decided to put my plans of getting a G19 on the back burner. I really ned to get a pistol that can be concealed in my pocket. I know there's a lot of .380 choices out there, but I really don't want anything smaller than 9mm. There aren't too many choices for a pocketable 9mm. I only wish that Glock had designed the G42 around the 9mm caliber. With the exception of its width, it's larger than some of the pocket 9mm's out there.

Here's what I'm considering:
Kahr CM9 or CW9
M&P Shield
Ruger LC9
Beretta Nano

I know there's offerings by Sig and Walther, but they're more than I'm willing to pay, and there's always Kel-tec, but it's a Kel-tec.

So my question for you, the collective minds of XDTalk, if you've had any experience the the above mentioned models, what's your impression, would you recommend it, and in your experience is it a practical pistol for pocket carry. Whatever I get I will be carrying in a DeSantis Superfly holster.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think a shield is too big for pocket carry. Pocket 9's are lc9's or sig 938's or kahr pm9's maybe. But that is just me. You could always iwb in a holster.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I think a shield is too big for pocket carry. Pocket 9's are lc9's or sig 938's or kahr pm9's maybe
The Shield is pretty much the same dimensions as the LC9... and yes... With the right brand of pants, one can Front Pocket carry it.
So far, I can with Wrangler Relaxed Fit jeans, Wrangler Cargo pants, Dockers Slacks and a few other brands.
I've been Front Pocket carrying the Shield for 2 years now and can 'present' faster from the front pocket than I can from IWB. :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Kahr CM9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AIWB, and don't look back.
I've carried IWB in the past and never liked it. I'm a big guy (6'4", 295#) and it just rubs me the wrong way. Additionally, my profession requires that much of the time my shirt is tucked in, which limits some of the IWB options out there, and to add to it I spend much of my day sitting on my arse, which makes AIWB just downright torture. If I wasn't such a pudgy guy IWB would be an option.

Now that the weather is finally nice I'm going to work on loosing this extra weight. One of my goals this year was to loose enough weight for my wedding band to fit again. If food just didn't taste so damn good. :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Shield is pretty much the same dimensions as the LC9... and yes... With the right brand of pants, one can Front Pocket carry it.
So far, I can with Wrangler Relaxed Fit jeans, Wrangler Cargo pants, Dockers Slacks and a few other brands.
I've been Front Pocket carrying the Shield for 2 years now and can 'present' faster from the front pocket than I can from IWB. :)
Good to hear. The Shield is only .6" larger in height and length, and I definitely like the Shield trigger more than Kahr's trigger. Plus I shot a friend's Shield not too long ago and really liked it.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Of those I have the LC9. I like it but while it does ride fine in a pocket, I find that getting it out with my big hands is not the smoothest operation. I don't like the looks of Kahrs but they are nice shooting guns. I carry the LCP (I know you don't want a .380) because all the 9mm were a little slow to come out of the pocket for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 that I use for pocket carry.
A PPK/Walther and a Glock 42, both In 380. When covered w/outer shirt, I carry a Glock 23 in a DeSantis holster on my right hip.
My pocket guns (as well as 23) are inconspicuous..,,and light weight and dependable...
DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I think a shield is too big for pocket carry. Pocket 9's are lc9's or sig 938's or kahr pm9's maybe. But that is just me. You could always iwb in a holster.

I carry my Shield with the smaller mag in my pocket often. I usually wear cargo pants/shorts.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Shield and LC9 are too big for pocket carry IMO and I owned 2 Shields.

True 9mm pocket carry guns are pretty much the Sig 938 and the Kahr's. I've owned both a PM9 and a 938 and both are excellent guns. I just got a CM9 and I'll let you know how it works once I shoot it.

I agree on the G42. If it was in 9 it would be ideal. For a 380 it's too big.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Shield and LC9 are too big for pocket carry IMO and I owned 2 Shields.

True 9mm pocket carry guns are pretty much the Sig 938 and the Kahr's. I've owned both a PM9 and a 938 and both are excellent guns. I just got a CM9 and I'll let you know how it works once I shoot it.

I agree on the G42. If it was in 9 it would be ideal. For a 380 it's too big.
I've had both the P938 and now the Shield.

The only place the Shield is noticeably bigger than the P938, is OA height.
The OA length is .2 longer, the width is .2 narrower.

IMO, the narrower gun, is better for pocket carry.
Plus the Shield has much less felt recoil IMO.

The P938 felt bulky in my pocket.
The Shield does fill my pocket, but draws easily, shoots smoother, and is ALOT less expensive, also has one more round.

OP, when I came across my Shield, I was wanting the LC9, I think you do fine with any that you mentioned. They are all virtually the same size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great forum question. I've been looking for a smaller 9mm for concealed carry. I've been looking at the nano, the price seems right. I also like the LC9 and Shield, but the Nano seems like a great deal.
Anyone have any input on the Nano?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts