Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pocket carried my XDS a few times now, usually when I need to dress nice, and there's some pants I'm reluctant to wear because the pockets are too shallow.

Being armed every day is my new years resolution and I've kept it up so far!

I'm not worried about losing the firearm if I fell down or something, but it's not hard to imagine someone behind me and to the side at a checkout line being able to look in the pocket and see the grip.

I've thought about hot gluing some sequins or fuzzy decorative balls to the base of a slim mag to 'disguise' it. Even thought of taking an old wallet perhaps, and somehow cutting a section of it off, filling it with paper of $1's and gluing it to the slim mag. Maybe a colorful dog sock over the grip itself?

Whatever crap I add on, I think i want it to only attach to the slim mag so if I ever need to change mags, it won't be in the way. So maybe the sock idea is a bad one.

Is there a market for this? Disguise base plates?

How do others keep their grip/magazine from looking like a gun if someone is being particularly nozy and the pockets aren't quite deep enough?

I'm looking for pocket camouflage to keep pansies from freaking out if they knew there was a gun in the room.

Or should I learn to sew and extend them if I don't want to ditch the pants. Probably wouldn't be a bad skill to have.... I just don't want to reinvent the wheel though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Why not just have deeper pockets?
Any seamstress/tailor can do it fairly cheap if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
29,593 Posts
The XDS is just a tad too big for pocket carry with normal pockets. That’s just the way it is.

You may want to reconsider either your mode of carry (switch to a tuckable IWB holster) or carry weapon (get a smaller pistol such as a J-frame S&W, or one of the plethora of pocket .380's out there).

·
Registered
18 Posts
LCP sized guns work better for pocket carry, even with larger pockets. When I carry my XDs I carry IWB with an Alien Gear holster. Alien gear holsters are tuckable and affordable, so you can tuck a shirt in while wearing it and not break the bank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I can't ever imagine a time where gluing sequins or fuzzy balls to my gun would help it blend in better and not stand out.

Reactions: OKcherokee

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
I can't ever imagine a time where gluing sequins or fuzzy balls to my gun would help it blend in better and not stand out.
I feel like I'm missing something from the original question...

OP, sometimes you have to make modifications to your gun, gear, clothes, and/or behavior... sometimes all of the above. Being an armed citizen is a lifestyle choice and it's not always easy or convenient... and it ain't necessarily cheap, either.

Using your example of a checkout line: I always stand sideways in a line w my "gun" side towards the front of the line. A) I don't like people behind me and B) all the people in front of me are facing forward, not looking at me. Simple, free, and doesn't require bedazzling anything.

Reactions: Kevo9mm

·
Registered
29,593 Posts
Well inside a pocket to start with none of it should atract attention. But the idea is that if it is seen, it's not easy to identify what the hell it is.

See Dazzle camouflage - Wikipedia for a similar idea
I think you’re overthinking this. Drawing attention to it it the last thing you want to do.

Again, I’d either change your mode of carry or, if you’re wedded to pocket carry, get a pistol more conducive to that style.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you are going to pocket carry a gun, then you NEED to have deep pockets. You can modify the pockets or choose different clothing that has deeper pockets. There is really no other choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem - switched jobs and have to wear dress clothes in a gun unfriendly environment. I've found several manufacturers that make specialty clothes but look dressy enough. Executive security companies and others like 5.11 are starting to make dress clothes designed for various carry methods.

There's not a lot out there but if you look for bodyguard or executive protection clothing you should be able to find something you like in your price range.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
I have the same problem - switched jobs and have to wear dress clothes in a gun unfriendly environment. I've found several manufacturers that make specialty clothes but look dressy enough. Executive security companies and others like 5.11 are starting to make dress clothes designed for various carry methods.

There's not a lot out there but if you look for bodyguard or executive protection clothing you should be able to find something you like in your price range.
That's certainly an option, but an expensive and unnecessary one. Yes, a change might be in order but he's not packing twin MP5s and grenades... no need for the specially-cut "Protection Detail" clothing (of dubious quality)... hit Macy's, Men's Wearhouse, Nordstrom or even Goodwill (that's where I started in the 90s... $500 jacket for $20-$50, another hundo in alterations and dry cleaning... score!). I started wearing sport coats and blazers in my TWENTIES (!) for the sole purpose of concealing my gun... still wear em (just nicer ones now).

I spent most of Wednesday in several Gun Free Zones (Dr's offices, med buildings, and a hospital... not for me, btw, I'm fine) in a herringbone tweed Nordstrom's number, cream-colored Brooks Bros shirt (extra starch please and thank you Natasha) jeans, and my favorite Nocona boots.... oh yeah, and a HK USP9c one side w a spare full-sized USP mag on the other... keeping the world safe and looking rather natty while doing it...

I also carry while at work.. doing physical stuff and dealing w customers, bosses, and the occasional LEO. It's not an office setting but the same principles apply as far as body mechanics and behavior go... keep your gun-side away from the room as much as possible, keep it covered, dress around the gun. And don't glue sequins or anything else to your magazines.

Reactions: Padraig

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I'm with earlier posters who said they feel the XDS is too big to pocket carry. A Kahr CW380 works ok for pocket carry, but the Glock 42, just a bit bigger, is too large IMO. (with my normal dress). If you don't want to get some sort of a holster and dress around it, maybe a smaller gun is a better idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts