Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a decently priced (That means $600 or less to me) pocket semi auto .40?

I want .40 so that I can keep all of my pistol ammo the same. I don't see the point in having to buy as many calibers of ammo, as guns I have.

The only one's I could find have been discontinued.

I don't have my CCL yet (I'm not 21), but I would like to have, and practice with a weapon I will carry, before I carry it. I would prefer new since I will be carrying it, and I want to know exactly what has, and especially has not been done to it.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be helpful.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front pocket.

I'm not a fan of Glocks, I can't get over the grip angle.

From what I can see I like the Kahr, but it's a bit out of my price range. But a bit out of my price range won't stop me from buying it, if it fits me well, and if well functioning.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Why, may I ask, does it have to be pocket carry?
Seems most .40s would be too big for any pockets I have, except the largest cargo short pockets. I wouldn't be able to stand it flopping around next to my knee though.
I say wait a while and save some money (about $1000) and buy a Springfield EMP in .40 and carry it IWB.
But if you must, I would second the baby Glock or the Kahr mentioned by xman.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Unless you have big front pockets your best bet would be getting a .380 or 9mm. But if you really want the .40 I think that Kahr will be your best bet everyone I know that has 'em loves 'em.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why, may I ask, does it have to be pocket carry?
Seems most .40s would be too big for any pockets I have, except the largest cargo short pockets. I wouldn't be able to stand it flopping around next to my knee though.
I say wait a while and save some money (about $1000) and buy a Springfield EMP in .40 and carry it IWB.
But if you must, I would second the baby Glock or the Kahr mentioned by xman.
I already have an XDm .40 compact, that I will carry IWB most of the time. But I want a gun that I can literally carry with me where ever I go.

And I'm not sure how well I can carry IWB with my current work "uniform". Which is jeans, and a supplied t-shirts. I'm wearing just about the smallest XLs that any company has made, and they are the largest shirts she has. So that's not allowing me to dress around the gun (which I will glady do when I can actually pick my clothes). I deliver flowers, and my boss is some what antigun. I really don't want to be spotted by her, or when I'm turning to leave a customers house. I'm driving all over San Antonio, there have been a couple neighborhoods I've driven through that are pretty scary during the day, couldn't imagine them at night.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, I had a root canal done early today, and took some Vicodin.

Unless you have big front pockets your best bet would be getting a .380 or 9mm. But if you really want the .40 I think that Kahr will be your best bet everyone I know that has 'em loves 'em.
I've seen what a .40 does to a deer, and what a 9mm does to a deer. My sister hunts with a .222 (2 not a 3), we usually have to shoot them again when we get close to them. I want a 40.

I do have fairly large pockets. I'm a pretty big guy, and I wear baggy jeans (it's what all the cool kids do, and I get to be a cool kid for a couple more years).

·
Registered
670 Posts
I already have an XDm .40 compact, that I will carry IWB most of the time. But I want a gun that I can literally carry with me where ever I go.

And I'm not sure how well I can carry IWB with my current work "uniform". Which is jeans, and a supplied t-shirts. I'm wearing just about the smallest XLs that any company has made, and they are the largest shirts she has. So that's not allowing me to dress around the gun (which I will glady do when I can actually pick my clothes). I deliver flowers, and my boss is some what antigun. I really don't want to be spotted by her, or when I'm turning to leave a customers house. I'm driving all over San Antonio, there have been a couple neighborhoods I've driven through that are pretty scary during the day, couldn't imagine them at night.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, I had a root canal done early today, and took some Vicodin.

I've seen what a .40 does to a deer, and what a 9mm does to a deer. My sister hunts with a .222 (2 not a 3), we usually have to shoot them again when we get close to them. I want a 40.

I do have fairly large pockets. I'm a pretty big guy, and I wear baggy jeans (it's what all the cool kids do, and I get to be a cool kid for a couple more years).
I'd say for work go with a .380 or snub nose. I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster that makes the gun look square. Nobody notices. And I've found if I put it IWB even with a t shirt and shorts nobody can notice and the shirt won't ride up and let the gun stick out.

EDIT: You'll pretty much forget the gun is there especially with the LCP. You could also maybe wear a wife beater under your t shirt and carry something like a Keltec pf9 in a Galco Classic Lite shoulder holster.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say for work go with a .380 or snub nose. I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster that makes the gun look square. Nobody notices. And I've found if I put it IWB even with a t shirt and shorts nobody can notice and the shirt won't ride up and let the gun stick out.

I'm dead set on a .40 S&W semi, and least until I actually get to put my hands on one. If I do jump down a size, it will be a 9mm. The ammo is cheaper, and they do more damage.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. It's a bit over whelming to try and find this stuff.

I'm actually probably going to get a shoulder holster for the winter, when I get to wear a hoody all day.

·
Registered
937 Posts
in that short of a barrel a .40 probably won't develop more power than a 9mm... barrel length is more critical in .40 S&W than 9mm.... I'd get a little Sig P290...

I

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

EDIT: You'll pretty much forget the gun is there especially with the LCP. You could also maybe wear a wife beater under your t shirt and carry something like a Keltec pf9 in a Galco Classic Lite shoulder holster.
I just put one of my shirts on, it only goes about 2 inches below the waistband of the jeans I was wearing, and fit's me pretty tightly. I don't think I will be able to conceal my XDm with it. I know I can't conceal my dads beretta 96 with it.

in that short of a barrel a .40 probably won't develop more power than a 9mm... barrel length is more critical in .40 S&W than 9mm.... I'd get a little Sig P290...

I
Either way, a .40 will get the job done. It will be cheaper, and easier to have my CC weapons the same caliber.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Your pretty much SOL there Tex on a pocket .40. Your gonna have to go down to a 9mm. Then the choices really open up. My opinion..... everybody! needs at least 1 9mm anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your pretty much SOL there Tex on a pocket .40. Your gonna have to go down to a 9mm. Then the choices really open up. My opinion..... everybody! needs at least 1 9mm anyway.
I'll probably go hold a PM40 some time this week, and see if I know someone that has one.

I have no problem owning several different calibers after I make more than $10 an hour, at ~15 hours a week.

I actually probably will end up getting a 9mm, but I really don't want to.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a PM40. I think it's to big and heavy to pocket carry. You should be able to do IWB with it. I can carry it IWB in a remora with gym shorts and a t shirt. If you wear an undershirt get a tuckable holster and tuck the undershirt in over it and leave your work shirt untucked.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I actually probably will end up getting a 9mm, but I really don't want to.
Everyone should have at least 1 9mm at least in their SHTF package. It will be the easiest ammo to get your hands on down the road. I got a G26 coming in the next 60 days.

Best of luck with your shopping, and let us all know what ya came down on. Your mouth with stop smarting soon enough too. Hang in there, that vicodine is God's gift to pain!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone should have at least 1 9mm at least in their SHTF package. It will be the easiest ammo to get your hands on down the road. I got a G26 coming in the next 60 days.

Best of luck with your shopping, and let us all know what ya came down on. Your mouth with stop smarting soon enough too. Hang in there, that vicodine is God's gift to pain!

Easiest ammo to get is the ammo you already have. Which at this point in time isn't a problem in 40, .22, and I have enough 25-06 to take out 50 deer, hog, or whatever other decently sized game comes within 300 yards. If we come down to having to acquire ammo other ways, what will stop me from acquiring a gun the same way?

I'll let ya'll know, but I've still got another month or two before I even have the money for another gun. I just like to do my homework before I go into a gun store.

I know about the Vicodin, it really likes to knock me out though which kinda sucks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Modern 9mm loads will do everyting any .40 can do.

Look at a Rohrbaugh.
I"m not concerned about effectiveness. I'm concerned about being able to practice with my fire arms, the cheapest and simplest way possible.

If we want to get into a pissing match about if 9mm or .40 is better we can. But trust me, I'm going to walk away thinking .40 is superior, and you're going to walk away thing 9mm is better.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Walther PPS in 40 gets good reviews, is it too big for you?

·
Registered
339 Posts
What everyone is trying to say is that you are not going to find a .40 sized for pocket carry. It is going to be real hard to find a .40 that's going to fit in your front pocket.

As for it being cheaper to have one caliber, you are going to save money in the long run with a 9mm carry gun by saving about $3 on every 50 rounds you shoot out of the gun copared to .40.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Walther PPS in 40 gets good reviews, is it too big for you?
That also looks good. Thank you.

What everyone is trying to say is that you are not going to find a .40 sized for pocket carry. It is going to be real hard to find a .40 that's going to fit in your front pocket.

As for it being cheaper to have one caliber, you are going to save money in the long run with a 9mm carry gun by saving about $3 on every 50 rounds you shoot out of the gun copared to .40.
There have been 2 guns in this thread that look to me like I can pocket carry them. I haven't seen them in person, but from the pictures, and videos I've seen on them, look like I can pocket carry.

I know the cost difference between the rounds. But being able to buy in bulk will save me money instead of 50 rounds of this, and 50 rounds of that, and then 50 rounds of that. I feel like my life, and more importantly my family lives are worth more than $3 every 50 rounds. I'll get a 9mm range gun eventually, probably even a cheap 1911. But I figured getting a couple carry guns was more important. So that I could always have a gun on me, no matter the circumstances. I know 9mm can get the job done, but so can an .22 pellet gun.

Edit* I reread that and I kind of came off as an ass. Sorry about that. I obviously know I don't have many choices for pocket carry, because, well I couldn't really find any. But I've really only been in the pistol game for about 6 months now (been shooting rifles for 18 years, started when I was 2 shooting my dads 10/22 while in his lap, he's had pistols all my life, but I never really shot them because ammo is a lot more expensive than a .22). I really just wanted to know if there was any .40s out there, because I was wanting that to be my next buy. I like, and trust the .40 s&w round more than the 9mm, and .380 for defense needs.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts