Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my AR-15 up camping recently and had a really hard time getting the PMAGs to lock in. I had to ram them home pretty good to get them to lock. Not problems once I got them in though and my CMMG .22 conversion kit mags worked just fine. The gun and the mags sat in my pretty warm car for a day and a half before I brought it out, and that is the only thing I can attain it to. I tried half loading them, ripped off my recently applied mag wraps :-x , etc. Got home, tried to replicate and had no problems at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It takes a ton of heat to get that plastic to warp at all. I would think them being heated up would make them more malleable thus easier to slide in the mag well. Are you sure there wasn't any kind of obstruction or something in there? Maybe trying to load a full mag on a closed bolt and it's giving you a hard time?

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
What kind of lower and what sort of wraps? If they are like a camo tape you shouldn't put it on the part of the mag that goes in the well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll load up some mags and try again when I get home tonight.

Stock lower on a Windham Weaponry SRC. Mag wraps were from Amazon, Rapid Wraps I believe. They only covered the lower part of the mag that doesn't go in the well.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
In Afghanistan went from ac to 5 days outside 115+ no issues I doubt its the mags. People in Texas and Mojave viper have no issues.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
I took my AR-15 up camping recently and had a really hard time getting the PMAGs to lock in. I had to ram them home pretty good to get them to lock. Not problems once I got them in though and my CMMG .22 conversion kit mags worked just fine. The gun and the mags sat in my pretty warm car for a day and a half before I brought it out, and that is the only thing I can attain it to. I tried half loading them, ripped off my recently applied mag wraps :-x , etc. Got home, tried to replicate and had no problems at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
PMags don't work with one of my lowers...can't remember if it's a Stag or Aero lower.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Of course, there will be some who will say that it can't be anything wrong with a PMAG.

I actually do have one that swelled so badly that it wouldn't fit into anyone's lower until I fired up a belt sander on it.

Now it works, but looks like crap.

I have since blocked the follower to make it a dedicated 10 round hunting magazine only since we can't use anything over 10+1 while hunting, so it beats throwing it away I guess.

But polymer can stretch and swell.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Of course, there will be some who will say that it can't be anything wrong with a PMAG.

I actually do have one that swelled so badly that it wouldn't fit into anyone's lower until I fired up a belt sander on it.

Now it works, but looks like crap.

I have since blocked the follower to make it a dedicated 10 round hunting magazine only since we can't use anything over 10+1 while hunting, so it beats throwing it away I guess.

But polymer can stretch and swell.

He said pmags plural.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I only have one P-mag. The sides bulged out on enough that the ammo jammed up on me fierce. I had to remove the follower and smack it around quite a bit to get them out. I promptly reassembled and reloaded, and it worked just fine. I think it was a drop from my dresser that let the high spring tension of a fully loaded p-mag shift the double stack slightly and jam up the works.

I suspect that bouncing them around in the trunk of a car might do something similar. mine swelled in the body and jammed. If it swelled in the neck instead, it might not load

·
Registered
205 Posts
Never had a swelling problem with my pmags and they are abused... always dumped right into the dirt, concrete, sand, etc....

I always disassemble them after shooting and clean them along with my rifle.

That's what I would suggest...

(also, I shoot only 5.56 surplus green tips and 55 fmjs.... load magazines all the way to 30)

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
You high and mighty mocking people when the odds of multiple pmags failing is very low. I've seen them fail. I've never seen multiple fail. Your condescension is not only unwarranted it is probably wrong. Your jumping to a greater assumption than those you mock.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts

And, the chances of multiple PMAGs doing this leads me to believe that it's not the mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
quoted, just see post 16

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Show me where I was mocking someone. Anyone.

And as for being high and mighty, I don't remember asking you to bow or kiss my ring pal. Nor address you to begin with.

There's probably still an ignore button here. Please use it.
How many pmags do you own?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
You high and mighty mocking people when the odds of multiple pmags failing is very low. I've seen them fail. I've never seen multiple fail. Your condescension is not only unwarranted it is probably wrong. Your jumping to a greater assumption than those you mock.

Show me where I was mocking someone. Anyone.

And as for being high and mighty, I don't remember asking you to bow or kiss my ring pal. Nor address you to begin with.

There's probably still an ignore button here. Please use it.

And, the chances of multiple PMAGs doing this leads me to believe that it's not the mags.

No doubt.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, been busy the last couple nights (fantasy draft and car maintenance). I'll definitely have time to check it out tonight though. I brought 3 pmags total. Two 30 round and one 20 round and they all seemed to have trouble. The 20 round a little less so that the 30s. They were empty until I got to the range.

Wasn't trying to start any arguments, just trying to make sense of the troubles I was having. It was a little embarrassing to have difficulties getting a mag in my AR while a group of people were standing there watching me and waiting to shoot it.

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
could be a bad batch. I don't understand the hype about P mags anyway. I have 20 of them and 20 GI mags. I have 2 and a half (assembled lower) ARs now. All do the job, none have given me issues and I leave them full and in pouches.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turns out I was just being a sissy about it. cbaldwin hit it on the head.

Maybe trying to load a full mag on a closed bolt and it's giving you a hard time?
Even though I was only putting in 20 per mag, it still seemed pretty tough. I guess I just didn't remember it being that hard (only shot it a hand full of times before this and I don't get to go as often as I would like). I also had only shot from a bench at that point so I had less leverage free standing. Being with new shooters, we were pausing between mags and making sure everything was clear before each person to give them a quick lesson. The bolt just ended up being closed before the mag got loaded each time.

Just out of curiosity (being an M/E) and to hopefully make this thread not completely worthless, I tested multiple pmags, tapcos and GIs. Pmags definitely took the most force on a closed bolt, the others were much easier. I measured from the tip of the feed lips to the catch point and pmags were consistently ~ .02" taller than both tapco and GI. This could account for it. I do not have a force gauge to test the springs at home, but none felt significantly stronger than others. They could also be non liner for all I know.

Gotta loose a little dignity asking stupid questions to gain a little knowledge sometimes. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks everyone,

Patrick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts