Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks-

Does anyone know if Plus P loads are considered safe for use in the XD? (Or might they damage the weapon?) Wondering also if anyone has ever contacted Springfield to ask?

I planned to use either Speer Gold Dot 9MM 124 gr +P or Remington Golden Saber 124 +P as defensive loads. There's much to read on-line that must be taken with a large grain of salt. (Lots of it is just flat out wrong - offered as fact by folks who have no idea what they're talking about. )

Any guidance offered gratefully accepted. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I contacted SA about +p and they said its fine but a large diet of it will add a bit of wear. They did however discourage wolf steel ammo.
I suspect you will, as most, only be putting a limited number of rounds through each month to rotate out carry ammo for fresh. You will be fine

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Honestly I personaly like Federal premium hydrashocks, or Winchester siltertips. +P's will damage your barrel over time, much quicker then a normal hp.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Honestly I personaly like Federal premium hydrashocks, or Winchester siltertips. +P's will damage your barrel over time, much quicker then a normal hp.
Maybe, but I think if you only run a few through to check function now and again, or to refresh SD ammo, the "added wear" is probably negligible. And since most range ammo is loaded fairly light anyway, I'd say it evens out;)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I agree that if you only fire them once, and a while there will not be an issue. I have seen people shoot nothing but fmj +p's at the range though. There barrels paid for it over time.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of +P 124gr NATO through my old early 2005 XD-9Service, it is ALL I have ever shot through it except for a few mags of HP, no probs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I contacted SA about +p and they said its fine but a large diet of it will add a bit of wear. They did however discourage wolf steel ammo.
I suspect you will, as most, only be putting a limited number of rounds through each month to rotate out carry ammo for fresh. You will be fine
Thanks pgwp- I will probably shoot 5-10 of the +P rounds to feel the difference- then go back to standard pressure 115 gr ball ammo for regular range use.

After that- I hope I never have to shoot the +Ps.

How often should you change out carry rounds for fresh ones?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The barrel will not and cannot be affected because of shooting +P ammo. The locking mechanism will suffer, but the barrel will never know the difference. These pistols are not shooting 4000 fps. Even +P is not nearly fast enough to kill the rifling noticeably faster with a couple hundred fps difference.

The +P will wear on the mechanism. For this reason, I would limit my consumption to checking the point of impact and the occasional group.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thanks pgwp- I will probably shoot 5-10 of the +P rounds to feel the difference- then go back to standard pressure 115 gr ball ammo for regular range use.

After that- I hope I never have to shoot the +Ps.

How often should you change out carry rounds for fresh ones?
Every one is different on their comfort level, but a safe bet if trying to conserve that expensive carry ammo would be to take that round that may get chambered several times between range shooting and shoot it at the end of a day of shooting. I personaly do this and at the end of the year, shoot all the three mags I carry. That ends up being about 55 rounds each caliber each year out of my carry ammo supply. I keep about 200 rounds of HST for each my XD's calibers. I figure that gives me 4 years of carry and by that time perhaps the new hot ammo will be something else.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
+P means it's a higher pressure round. This equals higher velocity and kinetic energy, but more wear on your gun, and some can't handle it (KB!)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is the problem with shooting +P rounds anyway? The extra pressure?

A standard 9mm and .40 S&W round operate at over 30,000 PSI, but a +P .45 ACP operates at "only" 23,000 PSI. That would lead me to believe that shooting +P in the XD-45 should be no problem at all, but apparently it's not. Why not exactly?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Honestly if you keep ammo dry it will be reliable, long after a year. It's really a personal thing. Some are more pickier then others. I usualy shoot it when the bullet itself starts to become discolored.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

A standard 9mm and .40 S&W round operate at over 30,000 PSI, but a +P .45 ACP operates at "only" 23,000 PSI. That would lead me to believe that shooting +P in the XD-45 should be no problem at all, but apparently it's not. Why not exactly?
Well they don't use the same barrel do they? lol
XDs are fine with +P regardless of caliber.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

Standard pressure .45ACP is 21,000 +P is 23,000

Standard pressure 9mm is 35,000 +P is 38,500

Two different rounds with two different case dimensions and thickness and two different standard operating pressures. You have to take into account that the standard pressures are for all guns of the given caliber, including old early 1900's guns, +P is for newer guns made with newer steel which can handle pressures better than the old guns.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would be curious what the mfg says, I have a gun that the mfg does not recommend the +P but they work fine. I accidentally picked up a box and realized they were +P after the range trip. Something I read mentions the difference in guns that will take the +p and ones that are not recommended is being a partially locked barrel versus a fully locked barrel? Has anyone else heard of this? I do not know, if your shooting 9mm then I could see using a +p but why if your shooting a 40 or 45 would you want to or need to?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well- since I started all this, here is the "official" word from Springfield Armory. (Reply to my Emailed question).

o +P and +P+ : Due to the fact that our entire line of XD pistols feature fully supported and ramped barrels, using +P and +P+ ammunition will not damage your pistol. However, we do recommend that you make sure the ammunition is American made and is in new condition (not repackaged or reloaded.) Due to the increased power of +P and +P+ ammunition, the cycling of your XD may be affected by this different ammunition. If you are planning to use +P or +P+ ammo, we recommend that you fire it extensively at the range before relying on it for concealed carry or self defense. It is important to ensure that it will run reliably in your XD. Although +P and +P+ ammunition will not damage your XD, a steady diet of this higher power ammo may decrease the service life of the barrel and/or firearm.

So ya got that goin' for ya-- which is nice. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts