Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I'm a man of wealth and taste.

Hi all. I've been lurking these forums trying to find out as much info on the XD. I've learned a lot, and have a lot to learn. My birthday is coming up and I've been secretly hiding hints around the house for my wife to find, trying to get her to buy an XD for me.

As my name implies, I collect mostly WWII arms, long rifles to be exact. As far as modern weapons are concered I own a WASR-10 and a Yugo SKS. The only pistol I have is a CZ-52. This is not to say I'm not familiar with modern weapons being former Army and am currently a Corrections Officer. So I've had plenty of weapons training, and so many safety courses jammed into my head (yet it never ceases to amaze me that a person with 15 years in the DOC still acts as if they never been taught gun safety.)

I have a small delima. I want an XD 4 in. Service Model in .40. In talking with my friend, who has the 5 in. Tactical Model in .40, he asked me if I was sure I wanted the 4 in. I said yes, because I plan on using it as my CCW. I don't want the Subbie, to small for my hand, and any length I can take off the weapon helps with the conceal part. My friend is a Sheriff's Deputy for the county we live in, so he doesn't really have to worry about the conceal part. What do you guys think? Right now my CCW is the above mentioned CZ-52 (you can see why I want to upgrade.)

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Seems like a "no brainer". The sub is too small and the Tac is too big. The service model is just right. BINGO!
I enjoy WW2 stuff myself and so do several others on this board.
Welcome to the wrecking ball! :D

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
The 4" will be definitely easier to conceal (unless your Andre' the Giant). I have both but can only CC the 4" comfortably.

·
Registered
334 Posts
welcome...i carry the 4" model all the time...but the best thing is how well the xd handles...i love it. :D

mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a 3rd party accessory...the Pearce mag baseplate extender that you can add to the Sub Compact, this allows (if you have an average sized hand) to rest your little finger on the grip.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
god i love the rolling stones. Sympathy for teh devil

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
WWIIArmsLover said:
So you are the guy who killed the czar and his ministers, while Anastasia screamed in vain?

I was always curious about the deal with Rasputin. Is it true he just wouldn't go down after being repeatedly shot by an XD Subcompact?

??

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Delija said:
WWIIArmsLover said:
I was always curious about the deal with Rasputin. Is it true he just wouldn't go down after being repeatedly shot by an XD Subcompact?

??

Peace,
D.
Rumor has it that it was a 9mm

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's settled, I'll stick with the service model. Thanks for all or your input.

By the way, I was around when Jesus Christ had his moments of doubt and pain.

·
Registered
176 Posts
As far as concealment goes the 5" gun is no harder to conceal assuming it is with an IWB. Generally carries with more stability due to length. What counts is grip size. It is also relative to one's background, if used to CCW’ing a Govt. Model or a Browning like many older shooters, same with a 5" "plastic" gun is a breeze...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts