Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tapco-style telescoping tactical buttstock has a lot of play in between the spring-loaded locking pin and the holes put the locking pin into to select the length.

Sorry if that was confusing. :confused:

Is there any kind of mod that will tighten up or eliminate this play? I like a 'solid-feeling' peice and this is the only part of my gun that makes if feel like a P.O.S.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you can afford it: get an VTOR, Magpul, or LMT SOPMOD and you shall be happy with no slop and possibly a strikeplate or some storage onboard!

There are creative ways to 'rig' a conventional collapsible... I 'shimmed' one on an old aluminum 4-pos with a little industrial velcro on the rcvr extension tube and it worked fine on a pure-plinker .22lr AR.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
How much play are you talking about? Are you talking about when it's locked and it'll back and forward slightly? If so, my CTR does it ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much play are you talking about? Are you talking about when it's locked and it'll back and forward slightly? If so, my CTR does it ...

Yes exactly. When locked in position there is a back and forth shimmy. Annoying!

I may have to get a magpul. Thanks guys

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can afford it: get an VTOR, Magpul, or LMT SOPMOD and you shall be happy with no slop and possibly a strikeplate or some storage onboard!

There are creative ways to 'rig' a conventional collapsible... I 'shimmed' one on an old aluminum 4-pos with a little industrial velcro on the rcvr extension tube and it worked fine on a pure-plinker .22lr AR.

Interesting.....

May be what I need to keep this stock operational. Thanks again

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was able to fondle a Magpul CTR at a gun show..no play what so ever. I have a Tapco as well. I'll have it till tomm when my new CTR arrives:mrgreen:.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
My Magpul CTR has a little play in it. It's not much but it's there. I wouldn't not use it because of the amount of play it's got though.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I agree that slider play is annoying and cheap feeling. There has to be some amount of play so the thing will still slide when packed with sand or mud. There is the unlikely possibility that you have a commercial slider on a mil-spec tube. At gun shows, I have seen the reverse, a mil-spec slider jammed tight on a commercial tube, and this was actually a deal breaker on an AR-57 build I was considering.

I upgraded the loose commercial slider on my Rock River Arms LAR-15 to a Magpul CTR (commercial size, $92), using the original RRA commercial tube (i.e. it was very easy to install). The CTR has a release/adjustment lever, and also a locking lever to tighten the play. Pressing the release/adjustment lever automatically disengages the locking lever. Even without the locking lever, the play was reduced 75%. With the locking lever it is reduced 90%. The play does not go away completely, but enough for the rifle to feel more solid, more substantial, and not feel as cheap.

The Magpul CTR comes in mil-spec and commerial versions. You did not state the brand of your AR, so I cannot tell you which type you need. The mil-spec tube is smaller in diameter along the slider portion which is slightly less than the diameter of the threaded portion, with a square butt end. The commercial tube has a 5 degree slant on the butt end with the threaded portion the same diameter as the slider portion.

Patrick Sweeney finds fault with collapsing stocks. He says that in a panic situation, a shooter could fire a carbine with the stock fully retracted. The recoil could cause injury to the shooter as the rear sight or scope bashes the shooter in the face or eye. He recommends blocking or taping the tube so the front most position cannot be used. I doubt most people do that as they like the compact storage option. However, it would make sense not to routinely keep the stock fully retracted.

There may be other better fitting slider replacements, so I don't know if the CTR is the best one or best value. It works and I am satisfied with it. It is a vast improvement.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The 'front-most position' issue is addressed with the VLTOR E-Mod. Fully collapsed it is the same length as the original Modstock is pulled open 1 notch from fully closed, even has a strikeplate & nonslip ribber base. The VLTOR is milspec only and available alone or as a complete kit, has no to very little play in it. I'll add that I've used original model + clubfoot short carbine Modstocks fully closed and never managed to injure myself, still like the original for tight spaces.

A friend of mine has my old 4-pos aluminum stock, with fuzzy side of the velcro still intact on the sides of the tube and reasonably rattle-free for $4.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Wild Rice. How much play do you have? I only have about 1/8" of play, if that.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've got a magpul moe stock (cheaper version of ctr) on my AK and I have that same little bit of play. I was concerned about it at well, but it seems like it's fairly normal. Keep in mind, it's just a TINY bit of play.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I just checked the commercial Magpul CTR I installed on the original commercial tube of my RRA LAR-15. Fore-aft play is a little less than 1/8" with more resistance when clamped. This may have to do with the diameter of the station holes in the tube. For reliability the holes must be oversize. Up-down play is slight when unclamped with no play when clamped. The biggest difference is the rotatory play which is a degree or two when unclamped, but almost none when clamped.

The original RRA slider was loose and cheap feeling. The only thing cheap feeling on this great rifle. The Magpul CTR unclamped was a huge improvement. The Magpul CTR clamped is like night and day. The $92 upgrade was worth every penny. It will work in both tactical and bench rest modes. The commercial tubes are slightly longer and the commercial version of the CTR has a thicker rubber butt pad, so for me station 5 out of 6 works best with a jacket. I may try to find a way to temporarily lock out position 6 for cooler times of the year, so I can yank it back to 5 with minimal fuss. Maybe a press fit spacer of some kind. Gotta make sure it does not come loose and jam the slider though.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
It depends on which buffer tube you have. Rifle specs please.
Spikes lower. And build in progress. So i don't have one yet.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Then be sure and buy a Mil-Spec Buffer tube when you get to that point.
So if I get a mil-spec buffer then I need to get the mil spec CTR?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts