Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my first batch of reloads in my XD compact yesterday. I'm using the Xtreme plated 185gr flat point bullets. About 10% of them had a nick taken out of the bullet from the top edge of the chamber mouth. It would peel a small bit of plating back and cause them to not chamber. I searched the site and didn't find anyone else mentioning this (maybe I didn't search with the right terms).
Does anyone else run plated flat points? The Xtreme 185's have a very steep taper to them, and I think that is *part* of the problem, but the cause is the sharp edge on the chamber mouth.
Also, to reiterate: They all fed fine, just the ones that got nicked wouldn't chamber all the way.
Thanks,
- Nealio

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I run flat point loads in my xd45 almost exclusively, but jacketed not plated. Haven't had any issues with feeding/chambering yet. I ususally have to give them slighlty more taper crimp than the round nose loads to get them to chamber properly.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I run FP plated bullets in my 45s but not Xtreme, I havn't had any probems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah all the JHP's feed fine too. I'm trying to decide if I should try to round that edge on the chamber mouth or run jacketed. I've had excellent luck with the Xtreme plated bullets and I like the price.. They shoot like a lazer in my 10mm.
Thanks,
- Nealio

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah all the JHP's feed fine too. I'm trying to decide if I should try to round that edge on the chamber mouth or run jacketed. I've had excellent luck with the Xtreme plated bullets and I like the price.. They shoot like a lazer in my 10mm.
Thanks,
- Nealio
I do not recommend rounding any edges this may cause more problems than it fixes. You might try polishing the feed ramp or stronger mag springs. Here are a few of the bullets I have used but my best results for accuracy has always been lead bullets.

Ranier Bullets (bought from Midway)
Rainier Ballistics, mainframe

Berry Bullets
40 Cal/10MM (.401) (lead surcharge applies)

I am currently experimenting with Moly coated bullets

Precision Bullets
Precision Bullets Online

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not recommend rounding any edges this may cause more problems than it fixes. You might try polishing the feed ramp or stronger mag springs.
Thanks for the input, but I don't understand how polishing the feed ramp more or getting a stiffer mag spring would help a problem with the edge of the chamber nicking the bullet?
I bought some of the Berry 185 RN hollow base bullets tonight and I'll give those a try. They look like a 230gr RN but without all the unwanted lead.. ;)

- Nealio

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I do not recommend rounding any edges this may cause more problems than it fixes. You might try polishing the feed ramp or stronger mag springs. Here are a few of the bullets I have used but my best results for accuracy has always been lead bullets.

Ranier Bullets (bought from Midway)
Rainier Ballistics, mainframe

Berry Bullets
40 Cal/10MM (.401) (lead surcharge applies)

I am currently experimenting with Moly coated bullets

Precision Bullets
Precision Bullets Online
just picked up a few boxes of the new winchester rounds that are moly coated i picked up there "training" and personal pretction" rounds to give a try but theyre kinda pricey

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
It's your choice of o.a.l. Work on that some.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
While I haven't shot them in a while, I used to run Ranier plated flat nose bullets (185gr and 200gr) through my XD45 with an OAL of 1.20". This load functioned reliably in my XD, various 1911's and an H&K without any issues.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thanks for the input, but I don't understand how polishing the feed ramp more or getting a stiffer mag spring would help a problem with the edge of the chamber nicking the bullet?
I bought some of the Berry 185 RN hollow base bullets tonight and I'll give those a try. They look like a 230gr RN but without all the unwanted lead.. ;)

- Nealio
If you think about what is going on during the loading cycle, the slide is moving forward while the bullet is traveling up the feed ramp. It is possible the bullet is dragging a little going up the ramp while the slide is still moving forward. Which means the slide would push on the base of the cartridge making the nose kick up and back. Polishing the feed ramp would help reduce this effect. Heavier mag springs again will effect the upward force on the bullet and may help. One other thing is adjusting the gap between the lips of the magazine to present the cartridge higher or lower but this is probably the last thing I would mess with. My whole point here is that there are other things to look at before you start removing any metal from the chamber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you think about what is going on during the loading cycle, the slide is moving forward while the bullet is traveling up the feed ramp. It is possible the bullet is dragging a little going up the ramp while the slide is still moving forward. Which means the slide would push on the base of the cartridge making the nose kick up and back. Polishing the feed ramp would help reduce this effect. Heavier mag springs again will effect the upward force on the bullet and may help. One other thing is adjusting the gap between the lips of the magazine to present the cartridge higher or lower but this is probably the last thing I would mess with. My whole point here is that there are other things to look at before you start removing any metal from the chamber.
Yeah I understand where you were going. It just seems like the cone angle o those Xtreme 185's was too abrupt. I wanted to experiment with a little longer length, but the bullet is pretty short. I think these Berry 185gr minie ball bullets will fix the problem for sure.
Also the metal I talked about removing is a tiny ridge (.002" maybe) below the lugs on the top part of the chamber. If you look at the mouth of the chamber its all beveled in except for that very small part below the lugs on the top.

Thanks,
- Nealio

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Did you ever think that the overall length of the bullet was too long and thus catching on the feed ramp. Have you measured the finished load with a caliper and if so post your measured length here. I think the finished bullets are simply too long.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ranier 185 gr flat nose absolutely will not feed reliably in my XD-their 200 gr and 230gr round nose fed 3000 rounds so far no FTFs!
It will cycle 185 gr and 200 gr XTPs no problem! go figure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you ever think that the overall length of the bullet was too long and thus catching on the feed ramp. Have you measured the finished load with a caliper and if so post your measured length here. I think the finished bullets are simply too long.
I was actually way under on the OAL. I can't remember what I had them at (and they are all gone) but they were I think at least .1" under. If anything they were too short. Again, they were feeding fine and not catching on the feed ramp, they would get nicked by the top of the chamber.
- Nealio

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I just went through mixed batch 100 rounds of moly coated 180gr. RNFP, 150 rounds of 200gr. Plated RNFP, 50 rounds of 185gr. LRNFP, and 50 185 FMJ in my new XD(M) 40S&W. Absolutely no malfunctions, the 20 yard free hand groups were in the 3" to 4" range. The 185gr. LRNFP having 3 shot groups of 1.5" to 2.5" with a couple fliers, these were some left overs from an old batch and I can't remember the powder charge. I was very pleased with the XD(M) which says a lot because I'm not a real fan of the 40S&W. One interesting note was that the moly coated bullets started out shooting high and the settle down to a good 6:00 hold. All of these rounds were loaded with a COL of 1.120, next time out I'll be more scientific about the testing. I enjoyed the XD(M) much more than the G35 I traded for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts