Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I saw that video a couple of months ago. I use FL and I was glad to see it did rather well in preventing rust. I would like to see a test on various cleaners and lubes that shows which product reduces friction and wear the best.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I prefer Astroglide. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,492 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I saw that video a couple of months ago. I use FL and I was glad to see it did rather well in preventing rust. I would like to see a test on various cleaners and lubes that shows which product reduces friction and wear the best.
Wilson Combat does a very good video on friction tests of various gun oils. Ever since watching that video I only use Ultima-Lube II on all my guns.
I have cleaned and applied the ULII to a couple fellow workers guns and they were amazed how smooth their slide action was then. Ultima II is also a penetrating oil and even after wiping off the oil from the bearing the bearing still didn't lock up the test wheel and still had no wear on the bearing.
I bought one bottle of the oil and 1 bottle of the gun grease over 3 years ago and I still have 3/4 of each bottle left. It takes very little spot dabbing of the oil to be effective. I also dab and then finger smear the oil around on the metal parts. Rack the slide a few times and it is done. I have no rust on any of my guns. Not even on prone rust areas such as the exposed slide barrel chamber exterior.
I had bought a gun from an LGS and was offered a free bottle of Rem oil. I told him to keep it.

·
Banned
0 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the carry guns, car wax on exterior, Lockease Graphite on the high friction areas. Al; greases thicken in the cold, and all oils evaporate/drip off/congeal. Waxes aren't lubes, but they prevent rust very well. Oils and solvents mess up waxes, so there has to be a "practice spare" gun that gets the wear and fouling of firing, the carry gun does not. Gotta have a spare, anyway, in case your "main' gun" is seized as evidence after an incident. If you have a "pending case", you can't buy another one, and if you've shot a homeboy, his buddies may well soon make you wish that you had a spare gun.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the carry guns, car wax on exterior, Lockease Graphite on the high friction areas. Al; greases thicken in the cold, and all oils evaporate/drip off/congeal. Waxes aren't lubes, but they prevent rust very well. Oils and solvents mess up waxes, so there has to be a "practice spare" gun that gets the wear and fouling of firing, the carry gun does not. Gotta have a spare, anyway, in case your "main' gun" is seized as evidence after an incident. If you have a "pending case", you can't buy another one, and if you've shot a homeboy, his buddies may well soon make you wish that you had a spare gun.
Well that's a lot of info to take in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts