Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I was at The Gun Room (gun shop in Portland, OR) just browsing. I'm in the market for a nice little pocket pistol like the Kel-Tec P3AT or similar, just for those times I need DEEP concealment (better than nothing), but I was generally just looking around.

The guys at this gun shop are old school, and two of them tried to convince me "plastic polymer" guns are unsafe, and I should only own "quality" firearms. They especially didn't like XDs because they are made in Croatia. They have an article posted about a Portland cop who filed a lawsuit from a Glock kaboom, and told me about a current class action lawsuit against Glock going on right now.

They tried to sell me on a small revolver. I put the one they suggested in my pocket, and I was like "It's light and it fits, but it looks like I have a gun in my pocket."

One guy was like "So...you want something to get yourself killed? HERE...here's one, a little .25. That will get you killed." I didn't like the experience at all. Bunch of pompous assholes if you ask me, but do they have a valid point? What say you? Are "plastic polymer" guns really junk and dangerous, or is that just the old folks clinging to the "glory days"? They said they heard personally of two XDs throwing pieces of themselves into the shooters (one a piece of the plastic frame in the cheek, the other a piece of the slide in someone's throat).

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I just don't go in that particular store anymore.

At one time they had a used XD9 on the shelf that had seen better days. They were asking $500 for it. This when Sportsman's was selling them new for $449.

I pointed that out to them and offered them $275 cash and they told me to take a hike. That pistol sat there for at least 10 months.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
These guys are idiots! The main reason why 9mm's and .22's kill the most people is because they are the most popular calibers out there. Same thing goes for polymer pistols. Most departments carry Glock, so sure there is something bound to be wrong with a few of them, but saying all will get you killed or that they are junk is B.S. I trust my life everyday to a XD, and many people trust their lives with Glock's everday as well. I think that speaks for itself. And right now, I'm carrying a Glock as my SuperTuck for my XD cracked, but I didn't have any quams about switching.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
So, I was at The Gun Room (gun shop in Portland, OR) just browsing. I'm in the market for a nice little pocket pistol like the Kel-Tec P3AT or similar, but I was generally just looking around.

The guys at this gun shop are old school, and two of them tried to convince me "plastic polymer" guns are unsafe, and I should only own "quality" firearms. They especially didn't like XDs because they are made in Croatia. They have an article posted about a Portland cop who filed a lawsuit from a Glock kaboom, and told me about a current class action lawsuit against Glock going on right now.

They tried to sell me on a small revolver. I put the one they suggested in my pocket, and I was like "It's light and it fits, but it looks like I have a gun in my pocket."

One guy was like "So...you want something to get yourself killed? HERE...here's one, a little .25. That will get you killed." I didn't like the experience at all. Bunch of pompous assholes if you ask me, but do they have a valid point? What say you? Are "plastic polymer" guns really junk and dangerous, or is that just the old folks clinging to the "glory days"?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think the fact that the Glock and XD can both withstand the 20,000 round torture test would tend to disprove their notion that tactical tupperware is unsafe.

I think glock kB's are mostly due to the fact that his Gastonness chose to not fully support the chamber in order to improve feed reliability.

I wouldn't worry too much about a class action suit against Glock -- my guess is the 2 possible reasons for it - cops snagging their windbreakers on the trigger while reholstering & putting a hole in some part of their leg & kaBooms from reloads w/o a fully supported chamber are both, at least, in theory, non-issues with the XD -- The XD has a fully supported chamber, and a grip safety - so long as you reholster by pushing on the back of the slide (leaving the grip safety active), the trigger's not going to be able to be pulled by a foreign object getting snagged in the triggerguard.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Ask them how much trigger time they have on a polymer gun.
I hope you like the sound of crickets.

Ignore the cranky old farts.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Those old guys selling you revolvers,

Ask them about the S+W revolver you saw with the cylinder and top strap blown off. Tell them you don't think revolvers are safe.

I used to see them all the time in the 80's in gun shops.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had a pawn guy tell me the same thing once, I asked what was wrong with them, he gave me the same line.... they can blow up, cause issues, this guy was hurt and is suing. I responded... what was it, 7 years ago, some woman spilled a cup of coffee on her from Mcdonalds..... **** just happens with anything, he rolled his eyes and said but the coffee was not from plastic being unsafe. I then asked, what do you drive, he said a Hyundai Tuscan, said I also owned one, how much plastic is on yours? And yet you drive 85 in the thing. He just stood there as I walked away.

Its called technology improving soemthing. From space shuttles, to race cars, to bullet proof vests, to guns, they all use space age plastics or fibers.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
well they are creeping up on 30 years behind the rest of the world. I would have asked them their manufacturing background, ya know whay makes them an expert, even simply owning a gun store doesnt make you an expert at all, it couldmean their brother died and left it to them, they retired from 9-5 and wanted to tinker your day away in a boys club atmosphere. I never trust unknown guys at any gun shop, as much or less than i trust car salesmen. Sales guys:roll: In fact i dont ask either for advice except how much it is to buy, same goes for retail electronics. They are all smoke blowers.

theres nothing inherently unsafe about polymer pistols, infact the frame to slide wear is actually less on many reports i have read about golcks and Xds.

Its not like the barrel is plastic for christs sake, its just the grip / frame. It makes the gun light, and reduces machining time and costs. Its win win.

A glock or XD will be damn near impossible to wear out, you would spen a small ... actually not so small fortune trying to wear one out, and it would cost you around $120,000 in bullets, and you might not even be able to do it. It would take you many years, and you might accomplish nothing.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Is the gun shop business really so profitable that they can act like complete idiots and still make the rent? I've got to open a store....

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Unfortunately a lot of people who work in gun stores have strongly held opinions that are not fact or experience based.This makes it difficult for the novice who might need some guidance and expects the "expert" at the gunshop to know what he is talking about.It happens in every kind of retail shop not just guns, but buying the wrong toaster/oven doesn't have the potential to get you killed.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"So, you have a lot of trigger time on these guns then, yes?"
This line works really well, try it next time.
I'll likely never go in there again, but if I did, I don't think the Grizzly Adams lookalikes would care what I said. One of their rationale is that since NASCAR engines don't have plastic, and nothing NASA builds is plastic (and they know this because they are rocket scientists?) that plastic shouldn't be used on a gun. And that if they do go kaboom, all-metal guns will protect you, while plastic will take your hand off or something like that.

It was like they were trying to recruit me into their all-metal cult. Really strange...

I'm keeping my tupperware though. Just wondering what everyone here thought.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
its perfectly fine to not like polymer guns, but safety and reliability are not valid reasons for the most part, and are damn near crazy if we are talking glock or xd.

if they said the frame flexes to much they might have a point, if they said it doesnt look as classy, or as blingy as a stainless or chrome 1911, i would agree.

·
Registered
56 Posts
machron1-

You should head over to Vancouver WA to C&C gun shop. Its right off the mill plain exit on 205. Great customer service and family owned. Really knowledeable guys. Although I dont remember if you can purchase a handgun if you live in oregon, but anything else they can probably get for you.

·
Registered
948 Posts
well there is a local shop that told me that the xd was out selling the glock 3 or 4 to 1 if this shop you are talking about is not selling either of them they might not be around long!!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Steer clear of the Gun Room! (Do check out Slingshot Tavern across the street though;)) I've never heard of anyone having a good experience there. High prices, pompous @$$es. Check out Gun Broker in Clackamas. They're great. As for the "unsafe plastic" claim, it's not the plastic that makes Glocks KB, it's the unsupported chamber. Lots of folks don't like polymer guns for whatever reason, and will smear any gun that's not all metal. I used to feel this way until I got my XD, haven't looked back.:D

<--- Wahoo! 1000th post!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had a similar experience at one of the local gunshops where I live. I went in there and asked about what 9mm they had in stock. The first thing out of the guys mouth was "I don't like the 9mm round at all". I looked at him and didn't miss a beat, I said "Well I do like it, now what do you have in stock?". The guy shut up about caliber real quick. ;)

On one hand though, I kinda don't blame them so much. I would guess that they have to assume that everyone that walks into their store is gun-ignorant, and so they have to teach them. Unfortunatly too many don't really know what they should be teaching to begin with.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Steer clear of the Gun Room! (Do check out Slingshot Tavern across the street though;)) I've never heard of anyone having a good experience there. High prices, pompous @$$es. Check out Gun Broker in Clackamas. They're great. As for the "unsafe plastic" claim, it's not the plastic that makes Glocks KB, it's the unsupported chamber. Lots of folks don't like polymer guns for whatever reason, and will smear any gun that's not all metal. I used to feel this way until I got my XD, haven't looked back.:D

<--- Wahoo! 1000th post!
I to use to be a smith SA/DA decoker kinda guy as well. Then I met the XD bam I love my poly now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts