Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any problems with my frame but I'm wondering what would happen if it got damaged, perhaps scratched badly or melted a little bit or some of it got chiped off. Would springfield fix it or give me a new frame under the lifetime warrenty or would I have to buy a new frame? If I did, I wonder how much it would cost.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I doubt it since you would have to smash it, run over it with a car, drop it in a deep fryer or take a torch to it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
chibigui said:
I don't have any problems with my frame but I'm wondering what would happen if it got damaged, perhaps scratched badly or melted a little bit or some of it got chiped off. Would springfield fix it or give me a new frame under the lifetime warrenty or would I have to buy a new frame? If I did, I wonder how much it would cost.

What did you do to your gun I have a feeling this is not a hypothetical question.
:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would guess that any of the situations described are not considered normal wear and tear and would not be covered. I wouldn't expect them to replace for free your frame that you melted on a hot stove or something. :?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just thinking about it last time I was cleaning it. I wonder it, is it possible and easy to fix a damaged frame? Say, if a chunk was grouged out of it. Really, there is nothing wrong with my frame, I just got thinking about it since it's just plastic and more easily damaged than the metel. I do plan on getting some stainless steel parts for it made though, such as the locking block and take down lever and pins.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think they're metal as well.

This isn't just your garden variety plastic. These "polymers" are fairly high-tech. There are plenty of metals that will give up the ghost before this stuff. Good luck breaking it!

Seriously--I wouldn't worry about it for a second. If it breaks in some kind of freak accident, SA should make good on it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Can it be scratched, dented, broken? Sure. So can steel.

If you're going to be putting your weapons into situations where a polymer gun would be destroyed and a steel one would survive, then by all means buy a steel gun.

Just keep in mind that a 20,000 round torture test was performed on the XD: http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20502 , part of which (if I'm not mistaken) involved a truck running over and being parked on top of the weapon, as well as being tossed off a cliff. No breakage, no failures to fire, no nothing. Scratched? A little (last page in that thread has post test pics)...but that's just character. :) I don't think a 1911 wouldn't have come out looking so rosy.

It's tough as nails. What are you afraid of?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts