Springfield XD Forum banner

PISTOL QUESTION M&P SHIELD 9mm

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  RobzXD 
#1 ·
Just put 450 rds through my new 9 mm Shield . 4 differant 115 grain ammo and has a failure rate of 4 % . FTE . The empty shell gets stuck in slide . When it works the shells hit my farhead or go over my head or sometimes go to left .
Any idea what causes that . Im sitting both hands on gun and on a sand bag no limp wristing . Gun cleaned afrer ever 100 rds .
It going back to S&W . I think that is Bull . My Springfields have been 100%
John

#4 ·
The first 2 possible problems that come to mind are either limp-wristing or ammunition. It isn't uncommon for polymers to be prone to malfunctions if you don't have a firm enough grip. You don't need a strangle-hold on it but you do need an adequately firm hold on it, which will also help shrink the size of your groups down. Without a solid grip the lighter mass of the frame can have a tendency to move backwards toward the shooter at the same time the slide is cycling, thus causing a short-stroke failure. This could also account for unusual ejection patterns, though I've yet to see any gun that will always put all the spent casings within a neat little pile. When shooting in my backyard where the possibility of spent casings bouncing on the ground or rolling around is practically non-existent I'm lucky if all my brass is within a 10 foot radius.

The second possibility is the ammunition, though it's less likely, but if your ammo manufacturer is lacking good QC standards, it's possible there's a few underpowered loads in there which can also cause cycling problems.

With any reputable manufacturer, whenever there's problems the first suspected culprit is improper technique, the second is ammunition choice, the third magazine fault, and lastly is the gun itself.

#6 ·
Just put 450 rds through my new 9 mm Shield . 4 differant 115 grain ammo and has a failure rate of 4 % . FTE . The empty shell gets stuck in slide. My Springfields have been 100%. John
I was debating on my new EDC gun, was between the shield and the XDs, went to the range rented both, shoot 50 rnds on each, the xds was flawless, on the shield I had two FTF, and one FTE just on the first 20 rnds...the gun shop guy told me it was because it was a used gun...LOL. I said with more reason it should be already broken in...I Love my new XDs...but still want the shield..probably will use it as a range gun.:confused:

#7 ·
Luthier priest did you read what I said 4 brands of ammo no limp wrist

#8 ·
Luthier priest did you read what I said 4 brands of ammo no limp wrist
Yeah, I read your post. I would ditch the sandbag. Not that a person can't shoot reliably from a sandbag, but with a 3" polymer it's going to be easier to have less consistency in your technique. With a subcompact pistol those little adjustments that wouldn't affect a full-size handgun can have a significant effect on such a small gun as the Shield. You're talking about a 3" barrel on a very light frame. Shooter technique becomes more important on a lightweight pistol with a very short stroke. I've owned several sub-compact pistols in 9mm and .380 (3" XD 9mm, LCP, Kahr PM9) and based upon my experience, unless I had a consistently firm hold I would have problems with either proper slide cycling or accuracy.

I've read of several cases where short barreled 9mm's had some cycling problems with 115gr ammunition. Your recoil spring might be a tad too heavy for the lighter 115gr.

This is just my opinion, feel free to do with it whatever you wish.

#11 ·
Do not do this. Send it back to Smith and Wesson.
Where's your sense of adventure? Don't you want to find out if Bubba Smith is up to the challenge? I'd love to see what can be done with vice grips and an angle grinder in the hands of a self proclaimed expert.

But seriously, to the OP, it's doubtful your local smitthy has taken S&W's armorer's course for the M&P series and in prideful ignorance would likely do more harm than good. If you can't resolve the issue after troubleshooting possible shooter/ammunition/magazine related issues, send it in. That's what the warranty is for.

#14 ·
At least give a reason as to why it would be so important to send it back to S&W. I had the exact same issue with my Gen 4 Glock and they fixed it at the range in 15 minutes. Thats one of the things that won me over about Glock.
1. Many gunrange smiths are not certified/have no clue and they often fudge things up and youre stuck.

2. This could void warranty.

#15 ·
Quick comment on how hard to grip the pistol.

Rob Leatham says grip it until your hand starts to bleed. You do want to have a very firm, almost too firm, a grip on the gun. The worst thing you can do is have a golf club grip because that promotes a flinch for when the gun fires.

And ditch the sandbags.

#17 ·

Rob Leatham says grip it until your hand starts to bleed. You do want to have a very firm, almost too firm, a grip on the gun. The worst thing you can do is have a golf club grip because that promotes a flinch for when the gun fires.

And ditch the sandbags.
Psh, that Leatham guy shoots like a blind quadriplegic...

;)

#18 ·

Rob Leatham says grip it until your hand starts to bleed.

Psh, that Leatham guy shoots like a blind quadriplegic...

;)
Too bad that quote wasn't from Todd Jarrett. Would have been twice as funny referring to a guy sponsored by a company named "Para" as shooting like a cripple.

#20 ·
Smitty's turn around time is dreadful right now. The popularity of the M&P line have them very busy.
Wow... This could really be interpreted to the M&P Line being garbage.
Because they're very popular... But riddled with so many problems, Service is overloaded in fixing them all? :confused:

I know it isn't true, but still... LOL ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.