Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to jump on the 5.56 AR pistol bandwagon. I have a lot of spare parts around the house so I just need the pistol upper to pretty much make a complete build minus the brace.

My question is, can I use a rifle tube and buffer on a pistol brace? Is there legal concerns with this combo? Did they make braces that fit on a standard buffer tube with a standard buffer?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Not sure. I know the LOP cannot exceed 13.5 inches, so if a rifle tube puts you over that, then no.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
No.
A pistol and rifle tube are shaped differently for a reason, the rifle tube with a short barrel upper requires a tax stamp.

You can buy a pistol tube/bufer kit for $30.00ish for a cheap one or up to a couple hundred dollars for fancy.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
The LOP I think is right. But carbine tubes are for collapsible stocks/braces. So even if you used it, it would not collapse to compact.

You could use a Tailhook? Obviously no adjustment. But using a tailhook on a carbine tube is very short... Well, a brace fully collapsed. But a rifle tube, might work for you. The Tailhook I really like. I have one on a A5 tube.

But really... Tubes are so cheap... You should get the proper set up you want.

·
Premium Member
21,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did purchase a pistol tube kit for 55 bucks shipped. I was just trying to keep costs down with parts on hand.

·
Premium Member
21,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the start of the build. Waiting on pistol buffer tube to finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,758 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So does a carbine length buffer tube meet the 13.5" LOP? That's that the SBA3 pistol brace uses.
You have to be careful, since a brace could be adjustable that it might exceed the 13.5 inch requirement.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I don't have any hands on with the sba3. Don't shoot the messenger.

·
Premium Member
21,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
656 Posts
You have to be careful, since a brace could be adjustable that it might exceed the 13.5 inch requirement.
Mine measures ~12.25" fully extended.

I still haven't seen anywhere in an actual ATF document where they talk about pistol and LOP. What I do find is reference to removing the brace to properly measure OAL (over buffer tube and barrel).

·
Registered
5,758 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Just an FYI, because I saw some guys talking about it on a FB page too: if you have an SBA3 AND a LAW Tactical folder, that combination will exceed 13.5", but it's VERY close. Not sure about the other brace models.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts