Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that hunt pigs...

Im headed out bow hunting for deer this weekend but where I hunt is being infiltrated with pigs now. I want to carry a ccw with me, even though I have the bow, Would I be better off with my 4" .357 shooting 158 grain, .357 Sig shooting .124, or .45 with 230 gold dots?

Im leaning to the .357 mag
Thanks

PS. this is not a thread about what gun for bear, I know my .44 would be best but this is CCW with a very very mild chance to encounter a pig, maybe harvest one.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Might wanna check the regs if you're hunting in Ohio Ichy. It's illegal to CCW while bow hunting. (go figure...) I don't agree with that reg myself.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i have hunted many hogs with both the .357 and a .45 1911, i've had pigs take a hit from a .357, roll over get on their feet and run(usually at you). but i have never had one get up after a shot from my .45.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE...

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Might wanna check the regs if you're hunting in Ohio Ichy. It's illegal to CCW while bow hunting. (go figure...) I don't agree with that reg myself.

This law was changed about 2 years ago, its now legal.

Hmmmm, I just checked, it reads as though your right, wonder what happend...

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Page 34 of the regs says yes, we can in fact carry our CCW but it may NOT be used to take a whild animal. Well, if something comes at me, Im drawing my handgun and Ill argue it later.

The regs are kind of confusing if you read the CAN and CANNOT pages.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Why not open carry then? Either way, if some fat snarling pig came running at me, CCW or not, I would blast him for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Pg 8 just below Allowable hunting equipment it says:

"Hunters cannot carry more than one firearm while hunting deer"

and on page 9 article 4 states:

"A deer hunter cannot carry a handgun while deer hunting during the early muzzle loader season, the statewide muzzleloader season and archery season, have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a concealed handgun while hunting deer"

It is very contradictory indeed. OK then WHEN can one carry a concealed handgun while hunting???? :shock: Just lookin' out for you bro.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pg 8 just below Allowable hunting equipment it says:

"Hunters cannot carry more than one firearm while hunting deer"

and on page 9 article 4 states:

"A deer hunter cannot carry a handgun while deer hunting during the early muzzle loader season, the statewide muzzleloader season and archery season, have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a concealed handgun while hunting deer"

It is very contradictory indeed. OK then WHEN can one carry a concealed handgun while hunting???? :shock: Just lookin' out for you bro.
I hear ya man, I believe though that page 34 clears is up by adding the CCW portion. In other words, unless you retain a CCW permit, you are not allowed to carry a concelaed weapon while hunting deer. Got to hand it to the writers, they do what they can to try and prevent us from doing what the law allows.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
For those that hunt pigs...

Im headed out bow hunting for deer this weekend but where I hunt is being infiltrated with pigs now. I want to carry a ccw with me, even though I have the bow, Would I be better off with my 4" .357 shooting 158 grain, .357 Sig shooting .124, or .45 with 230 gold dots?

Im leaning to the .357 mag
Thanks

PS. this is not a thread about what gun for bear, I know my .44 would be best but this is CCW with a very very mild chance to encounter a pig, maybe harvest one.
What's wrong with stickin' a hawg with yer arrow? :D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's wrong with stickin' a hawg with yer arrow? :D
Nuttin but if one comes towards me, its nice to have a followup if I miss or if its a dog hell bent on coming. 2 years ago I believe it was, the game warden was torn up by a pack of wild dogs. I hunt very remote land.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Hmmm and the game warden is OC'ing and maybe even carrying a shotty. Well, just be careful and don't get caught with your CCW in tow. :?

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
You know my answer....go with the 1911;)

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I have some .357 magnum black talons that would work nicely

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
call tommorow and find out if you can carry or not. if you can, id roll with the 1911.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The law was changed last year making it legal to CCW (assuming you have a CHL) when hunting- as long as you do not hunt with it.

Several years ago a lot of us wrote the ODNR about making this change to the law. The opponents were afraid that CHL holders would use their carry gun and hunt with it.

This has been discussed many times over here: Ohioans for concealed carry (OFCC)

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • Index page

Oh yeah - FWIW If you happen to run across any warden or ODNR officials while carrying - make sure you promptly inform them;)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
From the ODNR

Concealed Carry

A person possessing a valid Ohio issued Concealed Carry license may carry their concealed weapon but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal.​
Hunting & Fishing Regulations

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Scotty, like I said, they sure know how to confuse us! I was never in doubt until I read the regs this year under the CANNOT DO section.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
In this part of the country, a sidearm is a must in case of snakes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts