Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the build specs:

PSA premium mid-length upper w/FN CHF 16" barrel that has an extra thick chrome lining
PSA lower with Magpul MOE stock, grip, and trigger guard. *Grip is no longer installed*
PSA nickel-boron coated BCG
Magpul B.A.D lever, MOE handguard, MOE sling attachment, Ranger plates, and MBUS Pro rear sight
Bravo Company short Gunfighter VFG and Gunfighter CH
ATI AR-15 X2 scorpion grip *this grip is awsome!*
KNS Precision .032" round dot FSP. I also bought their notch/inverted V-post and FSP adjustment tool
Removed sling attachment from gas block
TLR-3 light but might get the TLR-4 w/green laser at some point

Future mods:

Odin Works XMR extended mag release
DPMS oversized safety selector
An Aimpoint or EOTech red dot sight
Savvy Sniper QUAD sling and probably a VLTOR receiver sling attachment
A new trigger when I figure out what I want

I love everything I've done with this rifle but the favorite thing I put on it might would have to be the ATI grip. This grips is leagues above the MOE grip that came with the lower and completely changes how the rifle feels in my hands. It moves my hand down and back but its also more vertical. The grip now places my finger on the trigger perfectly, the stippling is awsome and the scorpion rubber feels really good. I highly recommend this grip. If or when I do another build it will be getting this grip for sure. I feel much better now that I have an AR in the cabinet on my side of the bed :)

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Sweet!

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
Very nice...congratulations!

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
How's running the safety with that grip?

Looks really comfy, but can you do a couple of pix showing how your thumb interacts with the safety?

·
Premium Member
8,307 Posts
Bravo! Your first is always special.....:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I'm proud of it and really like it. It turned out great and can't wait to build another one in the future. I only have 80 rounds through it but that was when it didn't have all the exrtra's and different grip on it. I'm anxious to see how it shoots in it current form.

How's running the safety with that grip?

Looks really comfy, but can you do a couple of pix showing how your thumb interacts with the safety?
I have to break my grip a little bit to press the mag release but that's why I want the Odin Works XMR release extension. The safety can be tricky too but the DPMS oversized safety selector looks like it will fix that issue. Both are cheap fixes that I plan on doing soon. Neither of these issues is a deal breaker for me on the grip, its just that good.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll add that grabbing the ATI grip is a lot like grabbing my P-07 Duty but with rubber. Also, if anyone is wondering about the B.A.D lever they are awsome. Its much nicer locking the bolt back and releasing the bolt to charge the weapon. I think Troy makes something similar but Magpul is great company. Their stuff has great fit and finish for great prices.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
that looks awesome. is that the tlr3 or 4?? I use the same light on my pistol. it would work well on my ar as well, but the laser doesn't allow for enough vertical movement.

just read closer , it's the 3. yea dont waste your money, the laser is for pistol use only. great lights though!!!!!!

My most noticeable upgrade was free floating my barrel. accuracy was noticeable right off the bat!!! put a few thou down range first, then upgrade so you will realize the improvement and appreciate it more.

looks great

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that looks awesome. is that the tlr3 or 4?? I use the same light on my pistol. it would work well on my ar as well, but the laser doesn't allow for enough vertical movement.

just read closer , it's the 3. yea dont waste your money, the laser is for pistol use only. great lights though!!!!!!

My most noticeable upgrade was free floating my barrel. accuracy was noticeable right off the bat!!! put a few thou down range first, then upgrade so you will realize the improvement and appreciate it more.

looks great
Thanks. The TLR-3 is an excellent light for a great price. I think I picked mine up for about $80 on optics planet last year. I've swapped it among my pistols, shotgun and now the AR. It fits great on all of them and is easy to manipulate. I've seen reviews where people say they crack and ar junk but I thing its plenty strong for being made of poly. I'm going to shoot the AR they way it its for now but I'm new to the platform so there's a lot to learn and I would be curious to see what other improvements can be made such as a free floating barrel. I bought a Magpul rail light mount on Saturday at Cabela's but accidentally bought the right hand version instead of the left hand. I tried to make it work but the best setup was just to mount the TLR-3 right on the 5-slot rail at the 10 o'clock position.

Why go with a bolt on lever when you can go with an integral unit?

Phase 5 // Extended Bolt Release v2 (EBRV2)

Would also recommend their winter trigger guard:

Phase 5 // Winter Trigger Guard - Styled
I went with the bolt on because I like Magpul and I was unaware of the Phase 5 unit. I'm new to AR's so I'm not familiar with all the different companies that make AR accessories. Theirs is nice but its pricey and a little flashier than what I was looking for. The B.A.D lever is still nice and I got it on sale for $18.xx at Primary Arms. I do like Phase 5's revolving sling mount though. Might go with that over the VLTOR.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I shop primary arms also. they have good deals on free floating handguard s for your barrel. especially on holiday weekends, usually 15-20% off, worth the wait.

don't forget a low profile gas block if you plan to have a longer rail than carbine!!! that triangle FS comes right off. beware!!!! THE PINS ARE TAPERED !!! lol

yea these lights are sturdy. mine is right beneath the muzzle of a .45, looks and works as good as the day I bought it. I paid 111$ for mine.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
I have to break my grip a little bit to press the mag release but that's why I want the Odin Works XMR release extension. The safety can be tricky too but the DPMS oversized safety selector looks like it will fix that issue. Both are cheap fixes that I plan on doing soon. Neither of these issues is a deal breaker for me on the grip, its just that good.
Got it. Thanks for writing back! :)

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mike, I think I'll be breaking it in some more tomorrow.

I have a few questions though:

1) What makes my upper a premium upper? Is it the fact that the barrel is a FN barrel that is CHF and chrome lined?
2) I read on another post PSA's upper and lower housings are usually made by Aero Precision and/or Spikes. Is this true? Are they both pretty good?
3) For breaking it in its sounding like the best way is to lube the BCG with a lighter oil and make it so its not dripping but more wet. Is this typical? I was going to use Tetra grease or Gun Butter Trigger and Locking Block grease on the BCG.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
1) I'm pretty sure that's the biggest difference - the CHF is the nicer part, not the chrome lining. Nicer overall build quality and parts are probably the other two differences.
2) That's correct, although forged receivers are basically all the same - forging and initial machining are done at the mill (and Aero / Spike's use reputable forges), then finish machining and anodizing is done by the "manufacturer" that you purchase from. If you want to look up the forging marks on your upper, visit this page (Square forge code on upper rec. - AR15.COM for a list of the markings. Most are normally on the right side, near the rear end of the flat top rail.
3) Grease the fast, oil the slow. A heavier oil like Mobil1 10W-30 will work all over as well. Right now I'm using some Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil the wife got me, but I'll probably switch to a combination of Mobil1 and TW25B grease.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Stupid rifle. Send it to me for proper disposal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts