Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. I have $450-500 to spend. I want a .243 bolt gun. I have a few boxes of core locked 100gr .243, so I want to put them to use.

I will sight it in, hunt with it, then store it the rest of the time.

I'm looking at the Ruger American, the Mossberg 100 ATR, and Savage rifles.

Any recomendations or experience in these would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I love my savage 111 in .270. The accutrigger is pretty amazing. I have mine dialed back to 2.5 lbs.

As for accuracy, It will do 1.5 moa from prone with a front and rear bag with 19$/box soft points.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Weatherby vanguard is around $400 and have seen them shoot great out of the box. Never shot the savage but I hear good things about the 110's

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
that price point seems to be about entry level for new bolt actions with synthetic stocks, so, whatever.

I would be tempted to save another $500 and get something I would be proud to hand down to my children. Ruger #1, Mannlicher, Browning, something with nice furniture.

YMMV

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I have a synthetic Remington 700 ADL in .243 and LOVE it! :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my short answer is "Just about anything will do..."

I've found this to be true based on my research.

Thank you all for the replies!

I've decided to get the Ruger American. The reviews are great and it has all the features I want.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
My brother bought a Ruger American in 243 for my nephew to use as a deer gun last year. I went with him when he sighted it in and got to shoot the rifle quite a bit.

We mounted a cheapo Bushnell 3x9x40mm scope on it, boresighted it then stuck my Harris bi-pod on the front sling stud and started shooting a target at 100yds. We used Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip 100gr ammo that we bought at Wal Mart.

I could easily get a 3-5 shot group that could be covered with a quarter with this gun. The thing was a joy to shoot and the bolt cycled fast and positive every time. I liked the removable rotary mag as well.

For about 359 bucks...the thing really shot well. I was shocked at how well it did and am now looking at a Ruger American in 223 for myself!

Give the Ruger American a look...for the money...they are really nice shooters.

-brickboy240

BTW, nephew took a nice 8 pointer with the rifle back in November...so the rifle was up to the task

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I have an ancient Rem. 788 in .243, and have experience with the ATR. Don't think you can go wrong with the Mossberg. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts