Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello XD people,

First I wanted to says thanks to all the forum members here who made me feel very welcome and were patient with all my new gun guy questions it was much appreciated. I know it must get tiring at times answering allot of the same questions over and over again.

Well I went and picked it up yesterday the sales guy oiled it up as he says they ship from the factory dry. Once he did that I have no problems racking the slide. It came in a black plastic case with two 13 round clips belt clip holder and some kind of holster made from plastic. Also a cable lock alen wrench and a cleaning brush.

I went to my local walmart and bought 100 rounds of target ammo and cleaning supplies. I hope to go to the range today or tomorrow anyway here are the pics of my new purchase

Thanks allot guys!

-Eric

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congrats on the new xd. Have fun trying it out. The only problem I see with your purchase is that you didn't get enough ammo.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The XD45 Tac was my first XD!!! Congrats!!! It's an awesome pistol!!! Some clean their new pistols before they take them out, but your XD should be fine right out of the box. BTW some people get their shorts all in a knot about calling them clips, to avoid getting flamed I'd advise you to call them magazines instead of clips!!!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Eric,
Congratulations on your new XD! Just be forewarned, just like the cheesy old Lay's potato chip commercial, you can never have just one! Guns are addicting, so welcome to ownership!

As for cleaning your XD, the easiest thing to do is use Gun Scrubber to clean off everything. Use a little Break Free CLP or similar product on the moving metal parts in the frame and slide. As for the barrel, do yourself a favor and pick up a BoreSnake. For several years now all I've used for my barrels is Break Free and a Bore Snake. It's quicker and cheaper than a rod & patch setup, and you have more overall contact with the barrel when cleaning.

If you like the way your XD shoots, look into getting a Don's Guide Rod "Fatty" and an extra power spring. This will reduce recoil slightly and put more weight up front, which reduces muzzle flip. I've got this setup on my XD Tac, and works great! Yeah, the slide takes a little more effor to rack, but you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I had to abort my range mission the holidays are upon us and very busy with family stuff. I might go next week well see. Thaks for the suggestion LP I'll try it out and see if the fatty is the way to go. Again after the guy oiled it I have no issue racking the slide. Yeah I picked up a can of CP cleaner and I do have a snake I also have some cotton patches and some regular gun oil. I think I'm set oh and I went and bought more ammo I got a box of Winchester 45 230grain rounds box of 100 for 29.00 not a bad price I think. So all together I have 300 rounds to try out at the range. Yeah about the wanting of more guns you may be right that XD(M) is looking kind of strong right now:)

-Eric

G

·
If you can't get to the range, just take pot shots out the car window on the highway. That's what I do!

Yah, I find that keeping them in the "O" of the stop sign is a pretty good group. I had all but one flyer in the "P"...Good times

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Once the thrill wears off, you can shoot at moving targets like signs on the backs of big trucks. Eventually as your skills increase you can shoot at the rear view mirrors of convertibles.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Yeah about the wanting of more guns you may be right that XD(M) is looking kind of strong right now:)

-Eric

That XDM will become a reality for me as soon as they offer it in .45! It has all the looks of a classic XD, but with some aesthetic improvements such as smoothed edges. Not to mention the additional capacity! Gotta love higher capacity magazines!

My next handgun will most likely be a 6" STI w/ the double-stack magazine, seen here: STI International - Eagle 6.0
Looks friggin' awesome! The only hang-up is lack of a tactical rail. However, that will have to wait until my AR builds are complete (1 complete build + 1 modification build) and possibly an AK project. Enjoy that XD, and welcome to firearm ownership! As far as I'm concerned, the 2nd Ammendment is a responsibility that ought to be embraced by every American, whether they realize it or not!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey LP,

That sti looks wicked. Yeah I really like the look of the XD(M) agreed 45 would be best. I notice already that feeding my XD is not going to be cheap LOL. Some of my liberal firends think I'm turning into a NRA nut man it's hard being a conservative in a Obama world :wink: the truth be told it's fun shooting at the range and honeing your skill. I agree the 2nd ammendment ensures our freedom.

Happy Holidays,
-Eric

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Hey Eric. Do yourself a favor and save your brass. Ammunition isn't cheap, unless you're shooting 22lr. You might want to consider reloading in the future, as it's the cheapest way to go. Springfield specifically says that shooting reloads will void the warranty, but I wouldn't let that deter you. If you are meticulous about case selection, using the proper amount of powder, and properly seating the bullet, you won't have any problems. If you ever run into a warranty issue, I don't think SA is going to send a rep to your house to make sure you aren't a reloader. Initially reloading can be a bit expensive, around $300-$400 for an entry level single-stage setup with a set or two of dies, a tumbler, powder measure, scale, calipers, etc. If you go up to a progressive you can spent anywhere from $200-$400 more on the press, depending on what you go with. Lee is the least expensive and is well-built, and will give you the best bang for the buck. RCBS is high-quality and has a reputation that exceeds Lee, but is twice as expensive. I have an old Lee Chalenger press that has worked well for my needs, but will admit that if I had more to spend, I would probably have an RCBS progressive.

Lastly, for cheap ammo, stay away from Wolf. Some swear by it, but there's a reason several firearm manufacturers have a clause that voids the warranty if you use Wolf or other steel-cased ammo. If you want cheap practice ammo for your XD, try to score some military surplus. Imports like Fiocchi, Prvi Partizan, and S&B are good quality as well. In the mean time, grab all the WWB from WallyWorld you can. (Some states carry Blazer instead. Same quality, different brand.) $30 for $100 rounds is a steal for factory ammunition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep I will just waiting for the right opportunity. It's hard with the holidays. Yeah I'm already on to Wally world I bought 4 boxes of Blazer ammo $14.95 a pop box of 50 and one box of winchester ammo 100 rounds for $29.00
Not sure about the reloading yet well see I'll report back on my experiece

-Eric

1 - 17 of 17 Posts