Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just joined the forum after reading more than I can possibly remember about the XD. Based on advice from this forum I purchased an XD40 3" a few weeks ago to replace my badly worn out 12 yr old P-11. I absolutely love the gun and have put around 500 rounds through it so far.

Well, today I was at a gun show and saw a used XD-9 4" for a really good price. It looked almost new with only some mild holster wear on the front edges of the slide. They said they had just taken it on trade and paid little for it because it was apparently feeding poorly (per the seller) but hadn't looked at it. It was clean and when I field stripped it everything seemed in order. I couldn't load it at the show though. They sold it to me for what they had put into it on the trade ($250) I decided to take a gamble and get it since it was so cheap.

When I got home I loaded the magazine and tried to cycle some rounds through it by hand. They fed pretty crappy and I had 3 FTFs. When I pulled the magazine out I saw 40 cal stamped on it. So.. my guess is that the seller bought the wrong magazine and got mad when it started feeding badly.

I'm going to go buy a 9mm magazine tomorrow. What else should I look at when I strip it down? Anything common with these? I have built a few 1911's in the past and done a few trigger jobs so I'm not afraid to do small things.

Hopefully I didn't get bit, we'll see though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well,, I think you got a wonderful deal on it. I have accidentlly loaded 9mm in a .40 once when I owned both a XD9 and a XD40, and the same thing happened. I would just get one mag to start with and make sure that is the only problem, I also use a litlle 2000 grit sand paper and polish the feed ramp and hit the breach face and lube it well. ( dont over lube) and I would give that a shot. I doubt it would need one, I honestly never wore one out but a recoil spring can weaken. Let us know how it goes, Dave

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I just took it down and buffed the ramp (looked fine though) but did see a nick on the lower feed ramp (not part of the barrel assembly). I sanded it out and buffed it smooth. I think this is part of the puzzle and looking more favorably toward the seller simply trying to feed ammo with the wrong magazine. I found a post on here discussing the magazines and was able to slightly bend the dog ears on the .40 mag to make it hold the 9mm rounds a little deeper. After a little trial and error I got a favorable angle for the round that seemed to feed well with the ball ammo I had.

I'm not willing to risk my life with a $20 part though and will order the correct magazines before firing it. If the initial efforts are any indication of future success, I think I got this gun for an incredible deal.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Welcome to XD Talk :D

Sounds like you got yourself a genuine bargain, congrats!

I find it staggering that you were the first person to notice the .40 mag. . . I mean, the indexing marks aren't even close. . . I guess some people are just really unobservant. . . seems like a bad trait for firearms owners/dealers. . .

Anyway, if you're in the market for a new mag check out the Mec-Gar offering, 18rds and very nicely made.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I was able to bend the rails as shown and it seems to be feeding ball ammo fine but for personal protection, I think I'll get the 9mm mags and use this one for my XD-40sc or for the XD-9 at the range only.

Thanks for the tip on the 18rd mags. Those seem like a sweet deal. I broke the gun down tonight and compared it with my XD-40 and couldn't see any problem areas. At this point I think it is solely a magazine issue with 99% confidence.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
First.............welcome to the forums.

Second..............damn good price on the weapon even if it is used. If the magazine change does not correct the problem, I would contact Springfield. I believe they have a life time warranty and would have them look at it.

You done good!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Yup the warranty goes with the gun not the owner so if it's goofed up you're still ok as a second ( or more ) owner.
SOME folks use the 40 mags in the 9mm gun or the 9mags in the 40 gun ( I forget which ) because it will hold more rounds than the standard, might be where your problem started.
Look the gun over real good and look for other problems SA can fix when they have it IF you end up sending it to them.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Welcome from Oregon. Nice find!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Hello, I just joined the forum after reading more than I can possibly remember about the XD. Based on advice from this forum I purchased an XD40 3" a few weeks ago to replace my badly worn out 12 yr old P-11. I absolutely love the gun and have put around 500 rounds through it so far.

Well, today I was at a gun show and saw a used XD-9 4" for a really good price. It looked almost new with only some mild holster wear on the front edges of the slide. They said they had just taken it on trade and paid little for it because it was apparently feeding poorly (per the seller) but hadn't looked at it. It was clean and when I field stripped it everything seemed in order. I couldn't load it at the show though. They sold it to me for what they had put into it on the trade ($250) I decided to take a gamble and get it since it was so cheap.

When I got home I loaded the magazine and tried to cycle some rounds through it by hand. They fed pretty crappy and I had 3 FTFs. When I pulled the magazine out I saw 40 cal stamped on it. So.. my guess is that the seller bought the wrong magazine and got mad when it started feeding badly.

I'm going to go buy a 9mm magazine tomorrow. What else should I look at when I strip it down? Anything common with these? I have built a few 1911's in the past and done a few trigger jobs so I'm not afraid to do small things.

Hopefully I didn't get bit, we'll see though.
I don't wanna sound stupid but what does FTF mean?

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Failure To Feed

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's great to know on the warranty. Sorry about the acronym usage, I hate that at work but am guilty as hell of it myself.

And now for a few random thoughts.... feel free to chime in with any input, opinion, facts, random thoughts you may have as well....

• I'm really itching to go fire a few hundred rounds through her and have almost decided that I may get the 3" 9mm barrel for my XD40sc or see if I could swap it for a XD9sc so I can stick with one round. PistolGear barrels worth the price?
  • Unless someone could give me an idea of decoding the serial number I guess I'll call them on Monday and see if I can get a Manufacture date for the gun.
  • How can I tell which finish it has? I know that some of them had rust issues and that a change was made.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
If u call Springfield they will tell u the manufacture date and they can tell you the type of finish that is on there. Two birds...one stone

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yup the warranty goes with the gun not the owner so if it's goofed up you're still ok as a second ( or more ) owner....
Well, technically, the XD lifetime warranty only goes to the "initial retail purchaser" ... "for the lifetime of the initial retail purchaser".

- OS

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Well, technically, the XD lifetime warranty only goes to the "initial retail purchaser" ... "for the lifetime of the initial retail purchaser".

- OS
SA consistently has performed warrantied work on sold pistols. I don't recall anyone being turned down for anything that actually went bad.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great info to know. I cleaned it up and am taking it to the range today. Here's a picture (I know they all look the same but...)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts