Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 day wait was over today and I just got back from my local gun store with my new XD-9 4" Service Model. This is my first purchased handgun and first semi-auto. I can't wait to get to the range!! While at the store, I also picked up a few other things, including a cleaning kit/supplies, some range gear, and small safe (kids in the house).

BWT... This past weekend, I also bought a Ruger PC9 Carbine. The XD and Ruger are going to make a fun combo.

Thanks to all here that responded (both public and private) to my newbie questions and posts. All the info was (and is) greatly appreciated!!

Regards...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Dropbass said:
7 day wait? Why so long?



OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me started on our laws here in the People's Republic of Merry-LAND!!

We have a 7day "cool down" period where we handgun (and some rifles) buyers must wait with our collective law-abiding thumbs up our you-know-where while the state police run *instant* background checks on us.

However, if you're a criminal, there's no waiting period on your purchase (illicit, that is).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
congrats on your purchases
I lov emy two xd's
on the ruger I got the PC9 and put on a weiglands weaver rail and a truglo 2x30 reddot .. you can find them on the net for around 30 bucks it makes a nice combo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody... Being new to handguns, the 7 day wait didn't bother me. Since I've already been bit by the bug, I'm sure it will get old. Next stop for me is the range...

Regards...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Congrats on the XD purchase.

"Royale with cheese" Isn't that "cheeseburger" in Paris-talk? Man, now I'm hungry for Le Big Mac. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
DougXD said:
Eric_Oh said:
10 days here in sunny California.
Yeah......we're pretty much a mini-me version of CA as far as I'm concerned. I reeeeeaaaaallllllly need to move. *sigh*
Also having bought an XD in Cali there is also a wait befor you can go buy another gun. I don't remember if it is 3 or 6 months... That sucks for me being im trying to get a 357 revolver.

BTW feel free to PM me with XD noob questions, Ill help when I can.

CHEERS and enjoy your XD! 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Yup.......I hear ya. There's a one-gun-a-month wait here too. But, if you're okay with it, you can submit a request to the state police to be "registered" as a "designated collector" and not be bound by the stupid once per month thing.......although you still have to wait 7 days before picking up a new handgun and any "assualt" rifles.

My friggin' slingshot can be used for "assult"....sheesh!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DougXD said:
There's a one-gun-a-month wait here too. But, if you're okay with it, you can submit a request to the state police to be "registered" as a "designated collector" and not be bound by the stupid once per month thing.......although you still have to wait 7 days before picking up a new handgun and any "assualt" rifles.
DougXD:

I have a couple of questions regarding the above. I picked up the MD State Police Regulated Firearms Collector Application and Affidavit at White Marsh Arms when I purchased my XD. My understanding of this form is that once approved, I'll be able to purchase more than 2 handguns withing a 60 day period. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there processing fee for this application?

2) Other then stating I have a general interest in collecting handguns, do I need to worry about my response to the "Describe the nature of collecting activies" line?

Thanks for all your time. I greatly appreciate your help.

Regards...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
RoyaleWithCheeze said:
DougXD said:
There's a one-gun-a-month wait here too. But, if you're okay with it, you can submit a request to the state police to be "registered" as a "designated collector" and not be bound by the stupid once per month thing.......although you still have to wait 7 days before picking up a new handgun and any "assualt" rifles.
DougXD:

I have a couple of questions regarding the above. I picked up the MD State Police Regulated Firearms Collector Application and Affidavit at White Marsh Arms when I purchased my XD. My understanding of this form is that once approved, I'll be able to purchase more than 2 handguns withing a 60 day period. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there processing fee for this application?

2) Other then stating I have a general interest in collecting handguns, do I need to worry about my response to the "Describe the nature of collecting activies" line?

Thanks for all your time. I greatly appreciate your help.

Regards...

Nope....no fee. Just indicate you are a firearms enthusiast who intends to collect and customize various traditional and modern designs.

Once approved, you can buy as many "regulated" guns in MD as you want as often as you want to......no more gun-per-month crap. You *still* have to wait the 7 days, but that's it.

Hope that helps. I got my "collector" status a couple of years ago and have thanked myself <grin> ever since. I can't stand the nazi-style rules here. Having said that, if they ever wanted to confiscate guns in maryland, I'd be willing to put money on it that they'd go after the "collectors" first since they know who and where you are.

I also have learned that the state police keep your purchase application paperwork and the collector paperwork (even if renounced) forever!! That blows bigtime! Oh well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
Congrats on your xd purchase. You'll love it, but I'm ashamed you haven't taken it to the range yet. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Enjoy your new baby. Man, those laws bite, I've bought two HGs at two different shops in less than two hours..

Bless the Midwest, EFF the coasts! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
just got mine yesterday as well(my first gun). the 10 day waiting period was killing me. i was already trying to convince my wife that we should get one for her as well. she said only if it was pink.... so i showed her a pic of a pink one on this forum ( i think it was Old Schools wife's XD) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS! I have to wait for Santa to bring my new XD 9mm subcompact before I can go to the range. Darn. Have fun with it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Savage*Henry said:
DougXD said:
Eric_Oh said:
10 days here in sunny California.
Yeah......we're pretty much a mini-me version of CA as far as I'm concerned. I reeeeeaaaaallllllly need to move. *sigh*
Also having bought an XD in Cali there is also a wait befor you can go buy another gun. I don't remember if it is 3 or 6 months... That sucks for me being im trying to get a 357 revolver.

BTW feel free to PM me with XD noob questions, Ill help when I can.

CHEERS and enjoy your XD! 8)
Actually, it should be one gun/month in california. At least thats the way i know it and i've purchased guns with less than 3 months between the two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
yeah it's one gun/month.

i can understand how why they put in the 10 day waiting period. the only thing is i don't understand why they make you wait if you already own a gun. if a person were to want to shoot somebody, they would just go home and get the one they currently own. they should only keep the 10 day waiting period for first time buyers. if you already own one you should be exempt from waiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
blindman said:
yeah it's one gun/month.

i can understand how why they put in the 10 day waiting period. the only thing is i don't understand why they make you wait if you already own a gun. if a person were to want to shoot somebody, they would just go home and get the one they currently own. they should only keep the 10 day waiting period for first time buyers. if you already own one you should be exempt from waiting.
i totally agree.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top