Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and can't find a photo of an XD with thumb safety. Can some post a photo?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Boss, any chance a pic of the other side? I was hoping that it could be modified for a high thumbs hold. What do you think?

·
Registered
206 Posts
As far as I know, it's not ambidextrous. Are you stuck on having the thumb safety?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here's one of my XD-45 Tac...

The safety is in very much the same position as the 1911, though not quite as prominent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, just wondering if it was possible to use is for a high thumbs hold. I guess the slide release would be in the way.

Thanks for pics!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
The XD's in general do not like the classic 1911 high thumbs hold. That hold tends to interfer with slide lock on empty mag. I had that problem when I first started shooting my XD40 and finally figured out that my thumb was preventing the slide lock lever from engaging. I adjusted my grip and have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hmmm, so is it just the TACTICAL's that have the thumb safety? My SC9 doesn't have a thumb safety. That's one of the things I LIKE about my SC9. :)

I have been thinking of getting a full size XD for IPSC and I don't want the thumb safety. I'll have to look closer at some full size pics to see for myself. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
BOSS302:
The image you have provided in Post #2 has the quality of professional work.
One of the best I have seen so far.
If you have created it with your own equipment, I would really like to know how you did it (lighting, background, etc.)

deBeaujeu

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not just the tactical's that have the thumb safety this image at the top is not tactical. I believe there are a certain number of XD45 labeled LE/Mil that all have the thumb safety. (I think, a phone call to SA would answer that best)

I've found the best way to find certain photos is to Google the gun and then hit "IMAGES" at the top of the google page.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Hmmm, so is it just the TACTICAL's that have the thumb safety? My SC9 doesn't have a thumb safety. That's one of the things I LIKE about my SC9. :)

I have been thinking of getting a full size XD for IPSC and I don't want the thumb safety. I'll have to look closer at some full size pics to see for myself. :)
its an option, you can get it if you want but it not a standard feature

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Also the saftey is only available on certain models of the XD45. It is not available on any of the 9's or 40's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Page 19 and 20 of the 2008 XD catalog (printed version or download pdf) shows the only 2 models (currently available to the civilian market) with a thumb safety.

1. XD-45ACP Service 4 in. with thumb safety
model XD9661 - Black
model XD9663 - Bi-Tone SS/Black
On the Service 4 in. model you will see the following inscription on the left side of the slide: XD-45ACP LE (LE for Law Enforcement or Limited Edition ??)

2. XD-45ACP Tactical 5 in. with thumb safety
model XD9664 - Black
model XD9666 - Bi-Tone SS/Black

Both the Service and Tactical models are also offered without the thumb safety.

deBeaujeu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts