Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far my interest in the AR platform has been for the purpose of coyote hunting. (Its about to change as I'm wanting an AR for plinking/carbine courses, but that's another story)

After being a bolt guy, I decided to take the plunge and get an AR. It worked well for me last year on quick follow up shots. The current one I have is an 18" in .223. I decided to let my son use this one for the upcoming fall/winter coyote season.

I wanted a different caliber, so I began doing some research and came across some guys that were using a 6mm DTI with great results. It is a 6.8 case necked down to 6mm and will be fire formed to push the neck to a 30 degree angle. So I will be pushing a .243 bullet faster than my .223. This should help with wind drift.

This upper was built by Mike Milli at Dedicated Technologies. This caliber is his design. He also incorporates an integral compensator to help with muzzle rise.

I call this Phase 1 as this is the new upper however, it is on my current lower. I am going to assemble a new lower (Phase 2) and then have it dipped in camo for Phase 3.

One thing I noticed, is when I purchased a PRI 6.8 magazine, that guys were getting away with longer COAL on these loads. I have some 2.290 COAL so this is a big change from what I was loading for .223

I know most AR's on this forum are of the tactical version, but thought you guys might want to see a different kind.

Anyway, here is the new upper

Specs.

6mm DTI caliber
22" Shilen Select Match SS barrel, hand chambered and profiled
Fully fluted barrel
Custom integral compensator
Mike's own free float tube with sling stud.
Larue Mount
Swarovski Z5 3.5 X 18 X 44

Here is the round.
6mm DTI 75gr Vmax on left
.223 60gr Vmax on right

·
Registered
791 Posts
wow...please post pics of the yote's you kill...im a coyote killin fan myself.

what are your plans for the lower?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
744 Posts
Amazing optics there dude... Wow!

That sounds like a really slick round too. I wonder how much better of a performer it is over 6mm/223.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amazing optics there dude... Wow!

That sounds like a really slick round too. I wonder how much better of a performer it is over 6mm/223.
Well according to Mike (the builder) and a couple of guys I have been talking to that own the same upper as I do, as far as twist rate, barrel length.

I should get somewhere close to the following. One guy is getting very slightly higher than these velocities.

55 gr Blitzking (BK) should max out at around 3500-3580
60 gr Sierra mid 3300
65 gr Vmax low 3300
70 gr BK 3200 ish
75 gr VMax upper 3080 to low 3150's
85 Nosler Partitin 2900

I plan on trying the 70 BK and 75 Vmax. I purchased dies from Mike a few months ago. Just something with a higher BC that what I'm running in my 223. I would like to stay in the 65 to 75 gr range. Although one guy has told me he has 70 BK loaded for coyotes and then shoots 85 partition for hogs and has had real good success.

I have the following loaded
70 gr Ballistic Tip (BT)
80 gr BT
75 Sierra HP
70 Sierra BK
85 Sierra HP
62 gr Berger
75 gr Vmax

I only loaded small batches as I need to fire form these cases to move the shoulder. Everyone has told me this will tighten up the groups. So I'm gonna play around some.

I'm getting around 2800 fps with 60gr Vmax in my 223. So in theory I could shoot a longer, higher BC 75gr Vmax faster. This should help with wind drift.

But hey, who am I kidding, I wanted a new caliber and this is what I wanted to get. I'll let my son take the 223 and daddy will play with his new toy. I have been talking with a guy in New Mexico that guides for coyotes and has a ranch in Texas that we could shoot hogs. So this would be a fun gun for that.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Dtech is a great guy. 2nd generation gunsmith and has done a lot of work designing wildcats.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
For camo dipping, I like using flat dark earth base coat and fall oak dip. ;)

Here is an example of the gun in fresh plowed dirt

And an example of how the same pattern looks in the woods

And just in case you can't find the gun, here's the answer leaning on the tree

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For camo dipping, I like using flat dark earth base coat and fall oak dip. ;)

Here is an example of the gun in fresh plowed dirt

And an example of how the same pattern looks in the woods

And just in case you can't find the gun, here's the answer leaning on the tree
Nice lookin rig you got there. Looks like it blends in the woods and field.

There is a guy about 1 1/2 hour from me that dips them. As you said, he told me he would use flat dark earth for base. He said he has several different patterns I could look at when I got to his place.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Mike is a great guy and runs a top notch shop, I spoke to him several times on the phone for advice while putting this rig together.

Its a .204 with 24" barrel.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Take as many pics of the camo dipping as possible. I have been interested in that process for a while now, just can't pull the trigger on doing it to any of my current firearms.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
sweet rifle, I think I am gonna go boar hunting soon with mine, I havnt ever been before, There arent any coyote around here. Greenville SC, That camo dipping looks awesome to by the way John A

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet build. How much does that bull barrel weigh, it looks huge.
I haven't weighed the upper, so I'm not sure. My other upper is a regular profile 18" barrel. This one is a bull 22". So it is noticeably heavier. But it feels solid when on shooting sticks. It doesn't appear to be too bad to carry around. I'm satisfied with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts