Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tons of pros for both and cons with both. Wife loves the feel of both. I hope that no matter which I went with I wouldnt have a problem but with my luck it could go the other way. I'm torn on which to get. LGS prices are neck and neck and I beleive June they hold a pretty big Ruger sale. Suggestions/advice?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Is this going to be your wifes gun or yours? If it's hers, I would ask which one she wants, and go with the first one she says.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Is this going to be your wifes gun or yours? If it's hers, I would ask which one she wants, and go with the first one she says.
^This. It's hers. She should pick it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just wondering...do any of the ranges that you have access to locally or can drive to rent these to allow your wife to actually test fire them before she makes her choice?

If so, that would be the best option before actually making the purchase. Be sure to include some one-handed test fires as some "situations" may require a quick one-handed shot. Since she likes them both, test firing them may assist her greatly in deciding which one she can control better.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Wife's gun, Wife's choice.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I would have her look at both hold them and see which one feels better. I have the pf9 and I like the trigger pull on it. I didn't compare it to a lc9 but it was better than the pf11 and the 709.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tried getting her to choose...The only thing she's capable of making a decision on is which shoes she's wearing that day. This gun is going to be a "night stand issue" for when I'm home and a travel carry for trips. My xd45 is too large for her and she has a little beretta 21a. I wanted to go with a slim 9mm so it was comfotable for both. I honestly like the feel of both as well. The LGS wont rent kel tec because honestly they barely keep them in the shop long enough to sale. They'll be renting the Ruger in June along with the special on it. They rent sigs m&p and the glock 19. The Kahr is a bit on the pricey side isn't it?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
For a night stand gun I would consider getting a full sized gun. That small 9mm has quite a bit of recoil, my pf9 would not be a first choice for my wife. The recoil is a bit harsh.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
For a night stand gun I would consider getting a full sized gun. That small 9mm has quite a bit of recoil, my pf9 would not be a first choice for my wife. The recoil is a bit harsh.
Plus, it is VERY prone to limp writing malfunctions. My daughter and my fiance both had some issues with my PF9. Me and my son can shoot it all day with no issues.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
In 100% honesty, I have owned both brands.
Kel-Tec broke and was unreliable (mag also broke). I now carry the Ruger as a back up piece, it has been perfect reliable as well as accurate beyond belief for a short barrel (Hornady Critical Defense).
With keltec, some love, some hate. I don't meet people who hate the Ruger. Why take the chance? My Kel-Crap broke, customer service was lousey.

go with the Ruger. You won't regret it. Kel-crap, you have a 50/50 chance of regretting it. It may not work when you need it to save your life...not worth it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
A Kahr CW9 or CM9 would be a good size. Slim, lightweight accurate.
I haven't found them too pricey. Good quality.
CW9 is my bug.

Kel-Tecs are my toy guns. My out for the day plinking guns. Not my self defense weapons.
Haven't had any issues with any of them. Fun to get mods for.

Wifey is considering the Kel-Tek PMR-30 for her nightstand.
She's interested in it.
Right now she's got a nice revolver, but wants more firepower. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
LC9 is about the same size as a Kahr. It is quite a bit larger than the LCP

·
Banned
88 Posts
Haven't shot the lc9 but id take my Kahr over my best friends pf9 any day and ive shot the keltec quite a bit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
CW9 is my bug.
This, but PM9, only because that's what I carry, a bit pricier though. I've heard good things about the new CM9 so far.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
CW9 is my bug.

Kel-Tecs are my toy guns. My out for the day plinking guns. Not my self defense weapons.
Haven't had any issues with any of them. Fun to get mods for.

Wifey is considering the Kel-Tek PMR-30 for her nightstand.
She's interested in it.
Right now she's got a nice revolver, but wants more firepower. :rolleyes:
Just so you are aware, Kel-Tec has stopped shipment on ALL PMR-30's. Mostly barrel issues, but all comments on that page are reliability failure comments. Search for it in GunReports.

And to OP, the Kahr CW line is much cheaper for nearly the same gun, & same great Kahr quality.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've owned a flawless PF-9 for well over a Year and have shot both side-by-side. The perceived recoil is a BIT less in the LC9, mostly due to being heavier and a tad longer. Personally, I don't see the LC9 as being $100 - $150 more expensive than the PF-9.

If it's going to be the the Wife's gun, make sure of two things:
1. It's the gun SHE wants.
2. If in doubt, See #1

If at ALL possible, get her to shoot all contenders. How it feels in the hand and how it feels to shoot can sometimes be the opposite ends of the spectrum. Both PF-9 and LC9 are Ultra-Light Sub-Compact pistols and don't shoot at all like longer, Heavier pistols (like the G-26, XD9sc, SR9c, PPS, etc).

I made the mistake of talking my wife into a PF-9. After the 1st range trip, it became MY PF-9. She bought Herself an SR9c.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I agree RobzXD, if she's a first time shooter an ultra light 9mm is not the way to go. Many people make the mistake of thinking that the smaller gun will recoil less, just because it's smaller. Given the same cartridge, 9mm lugar, the heaver gun will have a milder recoil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts