Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the Winchester white box 165 grain 40 S&W ammo for target practice in my XD40SC.

What ammo should I use for personal protection? All of the Walmarts in my area are completely out of the Winchester personal protection ammo and have been for over a month.

Is there another brand that I should use?

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Look online. Ton's of good ammo out there. Hornady, Federal, etc...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see that these range from 135 grain up to 180 grain. Some are hydra-shok and some aren't.

What's the difference and is there one I should definitely get?

·
Registered
151 Posts
For range plinking with my XD40 SC I go with winchester white box. For the home is 180 grain Federal Hydrashocks JHP. Whatever you decide on though, make sure run a at least 3 or 4 boxes of it through your gun to make sure your gun likes it. Different guns like different ammo.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
For range plinking with my XD40 SC I go with winchester white box. For the home is 180 grain Federal Hydrashocks JHP. Whatever you decide on though, make sure run a at least 3 or 4 boxes of it through your gun to make sure your gun likes it. Different guns like different ammo.
You do need to test your carry ammo, but note it is A LOT more expensive. About $20 - $25 for 20 rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I see that these range from 135 grain up to 180 grain. Some are hydra-shok and some aren't.

What's the difference and is there one I should definitely get?
Not Hydrashok... buy HST (Hi-Shok Two).

Hydra shok is old technology. Still effective but with the prices people are paying for them... I would go with the newer, more effective HST (Can normally be had for .

I carry 165gr Federal Premium HST in my XD40. It's some nasty stuff (You can also pick the .40S&W up in 155gr and 180 gr.) The difference is just weight. Weight results in speed differences. Heavier bullet = slower bullet. Lighter bullet = faster bullet. All choices will serve you well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd take a look at Federals Personal Defense line of Hydra shocks. They were designed as a concealed carry round and are a little milder to shoot. If you like the full power loads though any of the suggested would do just fine. I being an LEO and get my stuff from the department carry 180gr Winchester Rangers in my off duty gun and we just switched over to the 165gr Federal HST for our duty round. But you won't find those at wally world and I haven't been to a wally world in a while to know what or if they even carry ammo anymore.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use Federal HST 165gr or Remy Golden Sabers 165gr... didn't like the Speer gold dots much

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ammunitiontogo.com has the 50rd box of 165gr Federal HST for $22.95.

This is what I use in my XD Service. Mine likes it alot. But as others have mentioned, put some rounds down range to see if your pistol likes it or not.

Here is the link.

HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

Also another great link to check out is this one:

LE - Pistol

And yet another gives the Wound Ballistics here:

LE - Wound Ballistics

Hope this helps you to decide, and gives you clearer thinking....

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
What's your guys opinion of the Extreme Shock ammo?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get it?

Yeah, its a joke.

Don't waste your money or anymore of your time staring at the mall ninja's on the box

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Nah... $22 a box here for Federal Premium HST Tactical (LEO Only). Box of 50...
Please note the "LEO only" label is a manufacturers policy, not a law.

My advice is to visit your local police supply store and have a look around.

Hydra-shocks are good, if they're all you can get, but I'd also second the motion to go with Federal HST, Remington Golden Saber, or Winchester SXT over them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I carry the same gun as you have and I researched self defense ammo like you are. I decided on Speer Gold Dot 180 gr Short Barrel ammo. Our 3" barrels lose some velocity and it is debatable if that causes regular hollow points to not function properly. I am comfortable with my choice and hope I never need it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When considering the price on ammo think to yourself,"What is my life and my loved ones life worth?" Price no longer becomes an factor. Find a round that works for now( You know, the click followed by a bang type) even if it is Winchester white box. Then save money and go experiment with more "Effective" self defense rounds. Worked for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I personally use 165 gr Federal HST. Feeds and it expands flawlessly. I have used Winchester Rangers as well, but prefer HST for reliability and availability

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
i second the HST vote. I have boxes and boxes coming from AmunitionToGo.com

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
+1 on Federal HST 165's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got an XD40SC.

I shoot 165GR Atlanta Ammo Manufac. FMJ at the range, then carry Speer Gold Dot 180GR for defense.

Very pleased with my Gold Dots.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts