Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is a Federal law that requires the Handgun permit to purchase for AR15's or is it a state by state law. Having stupidly allowed my handgun purchase permit to expire, I went into a local gun store today to look at AR15's before BO takes over, and the saleman told me I needed to have the purchse permit to buy. I asked, what is the difference between this gun and the Mini 14 which they do not require a permit for other than looks. BTW, I'm located in MN.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, I will check with one of the other local stores. This location was Scheels, so maybe that is just store policy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
never heard of a permit to buy a gun, a permit to carry one yeah, but not to buy it.

Jose

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
State to state, MO used to have a "permit to purchase" for pistols.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Some states in the east require it but most do not. When I lived in Ill. I had to have a Firearms Owners Identification card to buy guns or ammo. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Never heard of such a thing... I'm in Virginia.

·
Registered
582 Posts
NC has a purchase permit for handguns. It puts the background check in the hands of the sheriff instead of the gun shop. Its a throw back to Jim Crow laws that allowed the sheriff to deny people permits if he so chose.

We have to go to the sheriff's office, pay $5 and fill out the background check paperwork. Permits are then good for 5 years and you can get I think 5 at a time. Doesn't make much sense to me, other than a way to make more $$$$$$.

No permits for any long guns though, including ARs (I almost bought one tonight after my CCW class).

·
Registered
53,646 Posts
a few years back when I lived in NJ they had a permit to purchase handgun

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
In CT you dont need a permit to purchase a long gun, Just a 2 week wait unless you have a hunting permit or a pistol permit(in which case it is in and out). To purchase a pistol you need to have a pistol permit (which is also a ccw).

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Does anyone know if it is a Federal law that requires the Handgun permit to purchase for AR15's or is it a state by state law. Having stupidly allowed my handgun purchase permit to expire, I went into a local gun store today to look at AR15's before BO takes over, and the saleman told me I needed to have the purchse permit to buy. I asked, what is the difference between this gun and the Mini 14 which they do not require a permit for other than looks. BTW, I'm located in MN.
A permit is required for a pistol but not a rifle, unless that rifle is considered a "semiautomatic military style assault weapon".

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us...TAT_CHAP&year=2007&section=624#stat.624.713.0

624.7132 REPORT OF TRANSFER.
Subd. 6. Transferee permit. If a chief of police or sheriff determines that a transferee is not
a person prohibited by section 624.713 from possessing a pistol or semiautomatic military-style
assault weapon, the transferee may, within 30 days after the determination, apply to that chief of
police or sheriff for a transferee permit, and the permit shall be issued.
Subd. 7.[Repealed, 1994 c 636 art 3 s 46]
Apparently all semiautomatic rifles are not created equal. :?

The really funny thing is that the Ruger Mini-14(GB variant) has actually been used by some smaller countries armed forces, such as Bermuda.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn...there it is in writing. Thanks for all the responses guys. Guess I will just have to go and renew my permit to purchase..it's free, just takes 7-10 days to get. I might think about getting a CCW as well.

·
Registered
29,671 Posts
I'm not sure about Scheel's, but I know a few smaller gun stores will allow you to purchase an AR/pistol immediately (w/o PtP or CCW), but not let you take posession until you get your permit.

That way, if there's a good price, you can buy now and lock it in, and just pick it up after you get your new permit.

Also, in my experience, when you renew a permit to purchase, it tends to get approved much faster than a new application (depending on county--Hennepin & Ramsey tend to hold it the full 10 days, THEN send it to you...).

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Iowa has a permit to purchase handguns but not for long guns

·
Registered
77 Posts
CD another thing to keep in mind, your permit to purchase is yearly, your Minnesota CCW is five years and counts as a permit to purchase.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Iowa has a permit to purchase handguns but not for long guns
It also keeps you from having to pay for more than 1 background check a year and allows you to purchase without a waiting period. So it aint all bad.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Wow...am I glad I live in Texas. We have none of that permit stuff, unless you count a CCW permit.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
It also keeps you from having to pay for more than 1 background check a year and allows you to purchase without a waiting period. So it aint all bad.
you permit is post dated three days then you are good to go for a year

40-45

1 - 20 of 27 Posts