Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok mi just made suppressors legal. i have a 10.5 6.5 grendel ar15. I want to put a suppressor on it to make it 16" long seeing as SBRs are illegal in mi so i can then put a stock on this gun.

if its permenantly attached I would assume its legal. what defines permenantly attached. A ring lock with solder I think would work well, so its not on the suppressor or the barrel but just on the flashhider (which would obviously have to be welded to the barrel) Are there too many suppresors that you can take all the baffles out through the front? obvoiusly I need a 5.5" long suppressor when you take into account it and the flash hider.

need some advice guys.

·
Registered
950 Posts
ATF defined perm. attachment if I am remembering right it is 1100 degree solder, 4 evenly spaced spotwelds, or one weld half the circumference of the attachment point.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Would adding a permanently mounted suppressor mounted on an SBR change it's classification assuming it extended to 16"+? If so, could you order a SBR, have a suppressor mounted prior to pick up and only have to get the stamp for the suppressor?

·
Registered
950 Posts
That was the point yocan was making taking a pistol length AR perm. attaching a supressor to make the 16" legal limit so he can put a stock on it and not be a SBR. By attaching the supressor before putting the stock on you can avoid a tax stamp for SBR and only one for the can I do believe.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the point yocan was making taking a pistol length AR perm. attaching a supressor to make the 16" legal limit so he can put a stock on it and not be a SBR. By attaching the supressor before putting the stock on you can avoid a tax stamp for SBR and only one for the can I do believe.
exactly but good luck arguing sbr doesn't need to be registered once ordered from a class III dealer. however with the ar15 platform its pretty darn easy to do.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
exactly but good luck arguing sbr doesn't need to be registered once ordered from a class III dealer. however with the ar15 platform its pretty darn easy to do.
Waterhead already gave excellent advise about what the ATF requires for permanently attaching.

Yes, you can add a silencer (permanently) to a short barrel to bring the barrel to at least 16.0 inches in length including the silencer.

No SBR tax stamp required. But obviously 1 for the silencer. The common terminology for that is "married".

The upper itself is not regulated. That's why you can order uppers all day long and have them delivered straight to your house.

Just don't attach a short barrelled upper to a rifle lower until the silencer is brazed on.

And to avoid being accused of "intent", don't have the upper even in close proximity to the lower until it's brazed.

For the other question, most rifle caliber silencers are sealed (permanently welded shut) and with rifle calibers, isn't really as necessary to clean due to the much higher pressures associated with them.

slow, low pressured pistol calibers (especially 22LR that is mostly lead) is where you'll need a can that may be taken apart to be cleaned.

Most high power rifle rounds are strong enough to keep most of the gunk blown out. A good "dip" in cleaning solution usually keeps them going strong.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in my case its don't remove the pistol buffer tube before you get the suppressor attached.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The part of your issue that could be complicated is how to put a stock on a receiver registered as a pistol.

It may be easier to sell the lower as a "pistol" and get a new lower. I don't know how they handle that, but I do know stocks on pistols are not kosher.

The barrel concept makes sense. I think you'll need 5.5+.63" minimum or 6.13" because the threads are cut .63" deep and do overlap. Typically people cut barrels ~.1" longer than 16" because they don't want to be short or perceived as short.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The part of your issue that could be complicated is how to put a stock on a receiver registered as a pistol.

It may be easier to sell the lower as a "pistol" and get a new lower. I don't know how they handle that, but I do know stocks on pistols are not kosher.

The barrel concept makes sense. I think you'll need 5.5+.63" minimum or 6.13" because the threads are cut .63" deep and do overlap. Typically people cut barrels ~.1" longer than 16" because they don't want to be short or perceived as short.
Putting a stock on a pistol has always been alright, as long as the barrel is at least 16.0" long, and the entire length of the weapon is greater than 26.0 inches when the stock is attached.

reference Thompson Center, Smith's Shooting Systems, Mech Tech, and a host of others.

And if someone wants to cut their barrels to 17 inches, that's OK, but if they cut them to exactly 16.00000 inches like I would, the ATF is fine with that too.

I would've thought an 07 would've known that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts